Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil smoke from 3.0

OK, I've had my thinking cap on all day but can't figure this one out. I recently purchased a "fixer" 83 3-liter CIS targa that purportedly needed a chain tensioner. So I figure - no problem - the price is right - I can update to Carrera tensioners . The car had decent leakdown #'s - most 6-8% with the highest about 13%.

Here's the rub - the motor is blowing oil smoke from the exhaust - my buddy maintains that since it hasn't run in awhile it is just that the muffler has a good bit of oil in it. I have seen this and would agree but mostly that happens after the motor has run long enough to get some heat into the muffler.

I would hate to pull the motor - do the tensioners - put it back in only to find I have other issues to deal with.

What do you folks think?

Thanks, Mike Quigley

Old 10-14-2005, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

overfilled with oil? you know the whole thing about how to check your oil?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah - the rookie mistake - but I'm not one and I ran it long enough to get it up to temp, checked it and it was a bit low if anything. I'm hesitant to run it for a long, long time to verify the oil-in-muffler idea since it does have a bad tensioner and I don't feel lucky at this point.

Mike Q
Old 10-14-2005, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

When I bought mine it had not been started in 2+ years it killed every bug within 2 blocks it took a couple hours to burn it out. It has not smoked at all in the 4 years since.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, then I'll go with pulling the motor and doing the tensioners along with fixing a couple oil leaks. Then I'll just put it back in and run the bejesus out of it with my fingers crossed that it stops smoking in an hour or so!

Thanks for your help.

Mike Q
Old 10-14-2005, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Just MHO, but, if you can't run it long enough to get it up to operating temperature for 20-30 minutes, you're in an "informational vacuum". I know it's a pain in the butt, but I think you have to replace (rebuild?), at least, the offending tensioner then you can run it for awhile and re-evaluate. You could have a marginal valve seal on the 13% cylinder, but 13% isn't that bad, and one bad seal shouldn't make the excessive smoke you seem to be seeing.

Good luck,

Jerry M
'78 SC
Old 10-14-2005, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
My question is why are you pulling the engine to install update tensioners.
Jack it up, drain the oil, pull the muffler, the rear tin and you're there.
No need to pull the engine at all.
Good luck.

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 10-14-2005, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: