Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

Question Silver GOO in the drain plug..........pls. help with the mystery...

The Turbo has about 30 hours on the engine since a Gamroth rebuild in 2004. Several oil changes since the rebuild, then I took ownership.

Found a very, very fine silvery goo in the circumferential groove of the tank drain plug at the last oil change , probably about 1 1/2 teaspoons worth. Almost looks like a prep paste in color and consistency.

Any educated guesses as to what this is, based upon the rebuld timeframe - and what this trypically could be?

THX

Old 10-14-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

I had the same stuff in my oil drain plug. It is my first Porsche and my first oil change on it. I think it is (and hope it is) a moly additive in the oil. I've seen some of this stuff for sale. I'll have a better idea after the 2nd oil change.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

BTW, I use only Mobil one
Old 10-14-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Designer King

Might be antiseize compound.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 10-14-2005, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

The drain plug in magnetic, these are wear particles from the engine wear the reason it looks like anti-seize is that anti-seize is usually made up of fine metal particles like silver and nickle graphite, copper etc. in a mineral oil, When i was in the the navy there were certain jobs where we actually would have to mix our own it would be graphite, red lead, and mineral oil. blended into a heavy paste. The fact that the particles are on the drain plug means that it is doing it's job by removing them from the oil stream.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-14-2005, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I'm not here.

Garage
Couldn't it be some fine particles from the engine break-in? 30 hours doesn't sound like much it could be just wear on a new rebuild.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Me like track days

Isn't it odd that after perhaps 4 or 5 oil changes that the goo is still present?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Just changing oil will not remove the goo; you need to clean the plug each time. A very fine sediment on the magnetic plug is normal.
I changed the plug in the oil tank to a magnetic one; now I have two: One in the sump and one in the tank.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 10-15-2005, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

Exactly. I've performed 1 oil change since buying the car - and saw the goo in the plug.

Was the goo ever removed - that is the question
Old 10-15-2005, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulporsche
Might be antiseize compound.
Thats my thought too.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Craig:

I'm not sure I'd be overly concerned about that. Very few people actually
take the time to wipe the drain plugs completely clean and degrease with brake cleaner.

Personally, I've make it a practice to do just that for 30+ years so I can spot any changes. From your description though, I don't see a problem.

You might ask Randy if he removed and scrubbed out (or ultrasonically cleaned) the oil tank when the new engine was reinstalled. Very few individuals (or shops) do that unless the old engine suffered a mechanical failure.

As SOP, one should remove ALL of the oiling system components, disassemble and clean everything out. All coolers and tanks should be ultrasonically cleaned, oil lines scrubbed out VERY thoroughly, and thermostats disassembled and cleaned out.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-15-2005, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

To satisfy our curiousity - if for no other reason - let's do this:
- post a closeup pic if you have one of the drain plug
- see if it is magnetic
- pull some off w/ a white paper towel and see if it is gritty or smears right out
- dilute it with brake cleaner and see if there are tiny shards in there (use a magnifying glass)
- get a periodic oil analysis done if you don't mind adding about $15 to each oil change

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-15-2005, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Me like track days

Like a numbnut, I didn't take a pic. I do recall the scenario quite clearly:

1) Smeared right out
2) Very very fine, almost like a moly paste
3) No shards

My take on this is that it is not a problem; just haven't seen this with other oil changes on 2 previous 911 engines I've had.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
It is just metal particles from your engine that are sticking top the magnetic drain plug. I have seen this on every car that I have ever changed oil in that had a magnetic drain plug. You have nothing to worry about unless it starts to become flakes or bits small enough that you can feel. The paste is normal.

It would not be "anti-seize" as that is made from powdered aluminum and therefore not magnetic.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Given that info - it probably is not metal particles from your engine. If it was, there would surely be some shards and it wouldn't smear out perfectly. Note he doesn't say it is magnetic. Maybe it is anti-sieze.

I agree re the ubiqitous nature of shards on teh plug at every oil change -- maybe we should why you DON'T have them...

Clean the plug real well next time - then inspect.

I would not worry, but would do periodic oil analyses depending on my level of paranoia and/or curiosity.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-15-2005, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: