Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Crank Pulley Torque??

This'll probly make me sound like a complete idiot, but I'm used to that...

My crank pulley keeps coming loose, and I can't figure out why. After getting my engine from the PO, I discovered that the pulley was loose and VERY worn with about a 3/8" groove worn by the retaining pin from tha back and forth slap. I got a new pulley and installed it. Because access was so difficult, I just tightened the thing as hard as I could. Within about 10 miles, I could hear it rattling again, and sure enough, it was loose.

Two questions:

What is the torque for this bolt?

Am I missing something, here? Is there some problem that would cause the pully to loosen so quickly? It was obviously a problem for the PO (who managed not to mention anything about it to me )

Any suggestions on what I need to do here would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2005, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

To properly tighten the pulley, one likely has to remove the muffler, support the rear of the engine and remove the back engine tin, rear engine mounts and console (bracket around pulley).

The torque is likely 125 ft-lbs; see the below link and make sure you're using the correct screw: PN 999.093.005.02, a M12 x 1.5 x 22 with Durlok head.

crank pulley bolt - washer or no washer

Last edited by Jim Sims; 10-14-2005 at 09:06 PM..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Sims
To properly tighten the pulley, one likely has to remove the muffler, support the rear of the engine and remove the back engine tin, rear engine mounts and console (bracket around pulley).

The torque is likely 125 ft-lbs; see the below link and make sure you're using the correct screw: PN 999.093.005.02, a M12 x 1.5 x 22 with Durlok head.

crank pulley bolt - washer or no washer
Thanks! I forgot to check the rebuilding forum, and that link was exactly what I was searching for. Based on that, it looks to me like the PO used the wrong bolt, and that is the problem -- no teeth to bite into the pulley

Man, I thought I was going crazy

Old 10-15-2005, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: