Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What do you do with old oil?

I have never changed my own oil (I've only owned the car for about 8 months) partly because I don't know what to do with all the old oil. What do you do with it? Are there places where you can take it and empty it or do you have to leave the container? Also, what kind of container do you drain it into and transport it in? Thanks for your help,
-David

Old 10-14-2005, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You can recycle at some Kragens.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Pragmatic Dreamer

There are many auto supply stores that will take used oil back. In the Chicago area, I use Murray's. I drain the oil into a big yellow 15 quart drain bucket (with a spout), and pour it into a 5 gallon gas can.

Take the gas can to Murrays along with the old oil filter. Viola, environmentally safe.

larry
Early 911S Registry Member #537
Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've always taken to the local wal-mart, they've never given me a hassle about taking it.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Auto zone and Advance auto take it
The filling station down at the corner takes it
I think all jiffy lube places take it for free also.

It has some value

They have you dump it in a big tank and take your container home with you.

I buy oil in the 5 quart containers so that is what I take it back in.

Milk cartons also work but dump it before a year has elapsed. Ask me how I know this time limit.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

Somebody told me that stores that sell oil must be able to recycle old oil... I don't know if its true but I've used Pep Boys, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Wal Mart and one of those Valvoline quick lube places took my old oil too.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good to know. What kind of container do you drain into? How do you transfer it?
-David
Old 10-14-2005, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

I bought a new drain pan from O'Reilly's auto parts since this car holds 12 quarts - I think the pan holds ?16? quarts - it is enough, it is a big round thing made of black plastic, it is oil-tight when the plugs are screwed in with a spout on one side for pouring the old oil out again. I've seen them at Auto Zone as well. I just put the thing in the back of my truck and take it to PepBoys.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Kills weeds in the drive way!! Oh wait the local recycling center takes it also. one gallon plastic milk jugs work well but make sure it's cooled off before you pour it out of the bucket into the jugs. just take them down and pour it out the toss the jugs in the trash.they are plastic don't absorb the oil so they are not considered oily waste like oil soaked rags would be.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L

Last edited by Ken911; 10-14-2005 at 09:47 PM..
Old 10-14-2005, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I got one of those big black plastic oil collector things. First time i used it the oil flowed so fast the hole in the middle was not able to take it in in time

Took a drill and put a whole bunch of holes in it to aid flow. After oil change dump the oil into another container to transport to Schucks (our version of Kragen).

Summer,
When you change your oil for the first time spread cardboard and newspaper everywhere. 11 quarts of hot black oil will gush out in about 15 seconds and you better have something to contain it.
The Roach
Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I use an old plastic kitty litter pail, the largest one you can buy. The lid seals well enough for the short trip to Pep-Boys and there's enough capacity for a few changes. Sometimes I dump it in their container, other times I just leave the whole thing there. You have to sign a form with your address as well.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
Ya used to be able to use oil buring heaters in COLD states. Can't do that anymore. The nasty additives make it toxic.

Old oil CAN be recycled. It's just takes a little more time.....
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I'm not here.

Garage
I use a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a good lid. Change that oil!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Won't the recycler in Sacramento pick it up? You might call them.

As several noted above, almost any service station will take it - esp. if they know you buy gas there. Or a shop, or Walmart...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I cringe to think of what my Dad did back in the 60's.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

I would take the used oil back to the place I bought the new. I always have to pay a recycling fee everytime I purchase oil so since you have already paid for this service it is their responsibility to provide it. Many of the 'Quik-Stop' oil change shops encourage non-customers to bring their used oil to their facility since they do sell this for profit.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Licensed User

walmart
Old 10-15-2005, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

It kills weeds!
It controls mosquitoes!
It keeps dust from blowing!

Do your neighbor a favor and dump it on his property!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

In Kalifornia anyone who sells oil must take old oil it's da lawww.

Wal Mart allways takes my 5 gals. at a time and they never say a thing.
1979 Jeep 304 V-8, injected
2 Yamaha YFZ450 quads
1999 black Lab.(dog)
Old 10-15-2005, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Original Owner

Waste oil burning heaters are allowed here. My neighbor has one. I just gave him 10 quarts. It has to be inspected every three years by the state. He is also a Chrysler dealer and has one at his store and they heat all winter on waste oil.

Old 10-15-2005, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: