Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
It Lives!

After four long years of hibernation in the garage, my '69 911E Targa is on the road! I installed a '74 Carrera engine (USA) with the 901 transmission and I'm impressed with the combination (of course, after more than 12 years of not driving any Porsche, any combination would impress me now!!) It also has deep six Fuch wheels , rear wiper, fog lights and the original driving lights (not installed yet).

Here's a few photos:

Installing the engine

Out this evening

The flag was added by the original owner, an Air Force Captain who bought it in Europe and drove it there before bringing it home

Foglights and original horn grills waiting for driving lights

A full engine bay

The wiring jumpers needed to mate the 14 pin engine connector with the 6 pin chassis connectors

It feels so good to be back behind the wheel of a Porsche! I owe a word of thanks to Chris Powell at Chris's German Auto and John Walker, who answered my numerous questions with great patience.

It's a good life!!

Charlie - GruppeB #013
'69 911E Targa
'72 VW Bug
'74 Carrera Targa
'85 LandCruiser (FJ-60)
'89 MB 190E 2.6
'97 Town & Country (family hauler)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Congrats, I like the flag.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Very nice indeed ! Every single pic of a lovingly cared for old girl - still running strong and looking like yours - gives me a real warm feeling.

Great color - whats it called ?

Cheers,

Carrera '85
Old 10-15-2005, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Congradulations on your project! Enjoy....
Old 10-15-2005, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Congrats Charlie

But do I notice the engine mount washer mounted up-side down?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Markus - the color is called "Bahama Yellow" and is a beautiful butterscotch color - very period correct (see a color chip here http://www.912registry.org/graphics/chips/6805.jpg )

John - You may be right! I installed the engine mount washers with the dished portion facing up and away from the mount. This matches the engine mounts on my '74 Carrera, but that does not mean it's correct on that car either. What is the correct orientation?

Thanks for all the kind words - it does feel quite special to have an old girl like her running strong!

Regards,
Charlie - GruppeB #013
'69 911E Targa
'72 VW Bug
'74 Carrera Targa
'85 LandCruiser (FJ-60)
'89 MB 190E 2.6
Old 10-15-2005, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
http://www.camp914.com/products.html

Nicely priced Pilot Driving lights above....I run a set on my longhood....

Old 10-15-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
MikeZ - Thanks for the link. I actually have the ORIGINAL driving lights that came with the car, but I did not have them when I bought it! I got them from the previous owner a few weeks ago when I needed an additional form signed for registering the car in WA state. I stopped at his place and he said he found some remaining bits and pieces from the '69 in a drawer in the garage several weeks ago. He then handed me the horn mounting brackets that had been removed during repairs, the driving light mounting brackets that also came off at that time, and the original driving lights still covered by the original vinyl Hella foam-backed covers!! They are in almost new condition and they have the correct fluted lenses! He said "take them, they belong with the car and they're yours since you bought it". WOW, it is nice to know there are honorable men left in this world!

Markus - FYI the paint code for Bahama Yellow is 6805.

Regards,
Charlie - GruppeB #013
'69 911E Targa
'72 VW Bug
'74 Carrera Targa
'85 LandCruiser (FJ-60)
'89 MB 190E 2.6
Old 10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
Prolly best to keep them for shows or drives with others.....they are worth a bunch...and get the Pilots for everyday driving....unless ya don't care if they get pitted or stolen....%^B
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

deep six Fuch wheels

I notice you have the same wheels that I do on my car. My car is a 1974 911S. It came with these wheels. I am guessing that these wheels are not totally correct for a 74. I do like the looks of the "deep six Fuch wheels".

Any idea what they are worth? Are they easy to get? I might be selling my wheels and getting the correct set for a 1974.

Any ideas?

Old 10-16-2005, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: