Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
Oil Leaks - Good, Bad and the ignorable

Yes, yes, I know, they sholdn't leak...but this one does. It's a few annoying drops, maybe a couple per hour when running. They seem to be coming from the area near the fan housing.

Would think this be a deal breaker for a vehicle? The last 2 guys who looked at my car really shied away because of leaks. Me? I'm an air-cooled guy and take extremely minor leaks in stride.

Thoughts?

Old 10-15-2005, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
3,950 post you have.....................you tell me.

She's just marking her territory.
George, Architect
Old 10-15-2005, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

seems like it already is a deal breaker.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I don't think it's much of an issue, but then I've owned al lot of these cars, and everyone of them leaked about like this.

Most recently, I've had two gentlemen look at the car. One has never owned a Porsche and the other has only owned a 944. The one with the 944 had a serious leak which affected his clutch. The other is really interested in a 996 (which can't go into 6th gear!).

Both commented on the oil leak.

Oh well.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

My 911 leaked when I first got it, i hated it and fixed all the leaks. I paid less because of the leaks.
I think alot of it depends on how you are presenting the car.
There are several different types of buyers, you need to match hte buyer to the car to make a sale.
If the potential buyer is the type that is looking for a car in top mechanical condition and see a leak, they will get scared off.
If someone shows up to look at the car and they know it needs a little TLC or they know it has a relatively small leak, they will be ready for it. Sounds like the types of buyers you are attracting are the wrong ones.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
if you're asking a higher-end price, then the leaks will likely hurt you. Drop it a few $K and it probably won't be as much of a difference...

Old 10-15-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: