Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Alright....

Garage
Drivers side turn signal wiring woes

1974 drivers side turn signal lamp socket

My front drivers side turn signal wires were disconnected in the socket before I got to look at the position they go in. Can anyone shed some light on the color codes and which connections they go to?

Using a volt meter and I can tell which wire is ground, turn signal, & parking lights. But on which side of the bulb do they connect? When the light is in the mounted position, one connects to the top of the socket and one connects to the bottom of the socket and I am assuming the brown ground goes to the body of the fixture.

Thanks!

w/ '86 930/20
w/ '74 915/06
Old 10-15-2005, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Alright....

Garage
I'll answer this question and ask another....

The parking light connection is on the bottom of the socket, if the socket is not mounted and you are looking at it, it is the side of the socket where the LOW ear of the light bulb enters the socket.

New question: I am not getting power to the drivers side parking lights. I am getting power to the fuse, the fuse is good tested both sides including the wire going into the harness. Now, even with the front part disconnected I am not getting power to the back. While sitting there touching nothing, the rear lights came on. I thought it might be a ground so I grounded to the battery and tested the rear wires. nothing....

Please tell me, what part am I leaving out?? The parking light switch either sends power to the fuse box or doesn't correct? Is there another part I am over looking that could have a bad connection?

Thanks,
w/ '86 930/20
w/ '74 915/06
Old 10-15-2005, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche_911S

I just put my lights back on yesterday, so I took them off again this morning to try and answer your question. Mine is a 75, but should be similar. I will call the turn signal light the one near the front of the car, and the side marker the one off to the side. The turn signal light has 3 wires going into it in a bundle, and two that go out to the side marker that each have their own individual connectors. The colors of the three wires going into the turn signal are brown (ground), red/grey (top of bulb), and white/black (bottom of bulb). Both wires going to the individual output connectors are white. The top individual connector comes from the brown ground, and the lower individual connector comes from the red/grey. These two wires go to the side marker as ground (brown) and power (white/grey).

Hope this helps.

PS - If you have a bulb that lights without any power to it - that is a sign of a bad ground somewhere in the system.

Rex
Old 10-15-2005, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Alright....

Garage
Thanks for the reply and taking the time to look at your car for me.

I think I figured out the wiring part. It seems the problem now is either a short, ground, or bad switch. Which is wired because according to the wiring diagram there should not be anything in the way.

When I have all the parking lights (drivers side) disconnected I get 12 volts to both the rear and the front. BUT, as soon as I hook up a light to the circuit I get a reading of ZERO. Like the current is too weak to keep a signal or I am creating some type of short. The crazy thing is I still read 12 volts at the fuse box. At some point in the circuit from the fuse box to the connector I am losing power. AAUUGGHHH!

Houston humidity + 30 year German wiring = headache
w/ '86 930/20
w/ '74 915/06
Old 10-15-2005, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Check to make sure the fuse holders are making good contact to the ends of the fuses.

Impact Bumpers on track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qbFNkdD2o
Old 10-15-2005, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Alright....

Garage
YOU ARE CORRECT! The previous owner rigged that fuse and I had over looked it. Replaced the fuse with a new one & cleaned the contacts and the damn thing works!!

Thanks guys! Now I get to troubleshoot the brake lights! Good thing I only have to do this once a year. Stupid inspection sticker....

w/ '86 930/20
w/ '74 915/06
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: