Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Vacum hose for distributor?

Hi all,

This is a complete newbee question, so please only laugh where I can't see it... :-)

I recently got my car back with the top rebuilt. The car is a real "Frankenstein":

1972 T Targa with 2.7 engine with Zenith carbs...

Before I left the car at the shop there was a vacum hose from the distibutor that went to the right carb. Now when I got it back, there is no vacum hose from the distributor. Shouldn't there be one? If so, where should it be attached to the carb?

Like I said.... a comblete newbee...

/Christian

Old 10-15-2005, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The cut below is from an old thread. "search" is your friend.

Quote:
Originally posted by Early_S_Man
Your distributor is centrifugal advance ...

... the vacuum module is only for emmissions compliance, as it only has an effect at idle, and that is just to retard timing 10 ... nothing else!

If you take a look at the following thread ... the specs apply to your distributor ... it is identical to the one used on 2.4 911T engines! You can check the advance curve profile with an 'advance' style timing light very easily ...

distributor lube...

Set your 'basic' timing at 5 BTDC at an isle speed of 900 rm, and check/reset at max revs [5000 rpm - 6000 rpm] per the spec book page ...
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank's for a quick response.... I actually tried to search but since my english skills is only a little bit better than my mechanical skills I faild to find anything useful.

So what you mean is that the vacum hose is totaly unnecessary? The post mentioned that it only has an effect at idle. Can this be the reason for a very unstable and sometimes high idle >2000 rpm?

/Christian
Old 10-15-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Originally posted by c_fahlen
my english skills is only a little bit better than my mechanical skills I faild to find anything useful.
I'm no english prize either. I'm from New York City metro.

So what you mean is that the vacum hose is totaly unnecessary?
It's unnecessary for me because I don't have smog polution test. And carbs like an advanced initial ignition. The vacuum hose created an initial ignition retard, not an advance. Your initial advance depends on the max total advance that you adjust the distributor to.. Meaning you set the max advance and let the initial fall to what it want to.

The post mentioned that it only has an effect at idle. Can this be the reason for a very unstable and sometimes high idle >2000 rpm?
------ is this happening with the vacuum hose connected or disconnected?

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 10-15-2005, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: