Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Before/After 1967-S Completed

I mentioned to some of you that I would post the finished product. I stripped it to metal. Blocked bondo and primer for days. Rust was cured and metal treated. Sprayed 3 coats of base Light Ivory and 3 coats of urethane cleared and buffed to a mirror finished. I love this car. Hope you like pictures.

Freddie Hernandez
(541) 535-3304
Old 10-15-2005, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Gorgeous SWB car!
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 10-15-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Were the steel wheels the original wheels?
Old 10-15-2005, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

no not the original steel wheels.
Freddie Hernandez
(541) 535-3304
Old 10-15-2005, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Chef

Nice car. There is a TREMOTORSPORT customer car that has steel wheels. It looks great and is different.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
up-fixing der car(ma)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to YTNUKLR
What sizes are those steel wheels? Are they for sale, perhaps??? Pm me. Thanks, Scott
Old 10-16-2005, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Why do so many of the older cars have the center caps missing? I have seen this frequently but I do not understand 'why'.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Wow!!1

Look like great work.

Can you tell us more about the mechanicals??
Old 10-16-2005, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here are answers to a couple of your questions. It's an original '67S I purchased several years ago. It was rough but a complete, driving, numbers matching car. The original S motor was rebuilt by the PO. I completely disembled the car in my garage and Freddie did a beautiful paint job back to it's original Light Ivory color. After painting I towed it home and reassembled it as a lightweight '67S Rally car. I didn't fill any holes or modify anything that can't be easilyl undone so in the future I can return it to a completely stock look if I want to in a weekend. The steel wheels are old time trial wheels I put on during painting so as not to damage the fuchs. It came with original 4.5" fuchs. I'm running deep 6" fuchs now. I replaced a number of parts that were in poor condition including most of the interior, both front fenders and front bumper. Replacement parts came off salvage cars or were left over from my previous projects. The cost was low but I have a fair amount of time in dissembly/assembly, redoing the interior, fitting everything, cleaning old paint off chrome, replacing rubber, seals, etc. I also made a number of modifications to turn it into a period rally car I can run some time and distance rallys in.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

How about some engine and trunk pics?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

VERY nice! I love those guages too, are they stock? Can we get a close-up of the toggles on the dash?
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Gorgeous car!
tell us about the toggles.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Wow, nice car....

What is with all the toggles???
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I also like the dual chrome ring green gauges - they were stock on the earlier 911's. Ferry always wanted completely blacked out gauges (like in the late 1970's) and the gauges evolved to that in 2 steps. The earliest ones - as above - resembled the 356 gauges. The next step was a single chrome ring and kept the silver center button, but changed to 'amber' or natural illumination.

People often take off the center caps in the wheels for a race car look.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-16-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

What type/size tires are you running on the deep sixes?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Stressed Member

Garage
Nice car! What did you use for the bumper stripes? I'm assuming that you did not fill the holes for the decos.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by fireant911
Why do so many of the older cars have the center caps missing? I have seen this frequently but I do not understand 'why'.
The thre prong caps are easy to lose....they are also required to me removed for most AX and DEs....some people like the look and remove them completely.

I like the 356/early 911 gauges....good job on the car BTW....
Old 10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
This is one of those cars that I look forward to seeing every month at EASY. So many great details that you notice something new everytime.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Guys,
Thanks for the nice comments. A few answers: Center cap delete is simply an old racing trick. No center caps on the wheels mean no center caps lost on the track...and often the tech guys required them to be off. Re: tires; I'm running 205/60's on the deep sixes...with a quarter inch spacer...lots of room because the car is a little high. Bumper stripes are simply 1" black striping tape. Available at any auto paint supply. I'm still working off a roll I got 20 years ago. Yes, it covers the bumper deco trim holes without having to fill them. I thought a rally car should have backup systems so I made the dash switch panel to be able to easily switch to backup systems. i.e. Fuel pump #1; Fuel pump #2, Ignition #1, Ignition #2, Hella lights and intercom system with navigator are the other two switches. Switch panels are used commonly on V8 racers and pretty simple to put together. I was able to get most of them to fit the existing holes for the radio so other than a little enlarging here and there the dash is still stock behind them. I don't have pictures of the engine or trunk. The engine is a stock S motor built out to 2.2L with the original 40 IDS Webers. The trunk is also stock except for a strut tower brace. b.t.w. I painted two rear deck lids. One stock one for later and the one on the car now. It's sort of a modified R type decklid based on a '68 lid. Bob Tilton get's credit for the rear decklid design.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Great color, and awesome job.

“People who never make mistakes must get tired of doing nothing”
Bill : The origin of the orgy of Porsche
Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: