Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Need Help Solving 915 Swap Poblem

Really need advice on the best way to proceed with my 915 into '69 tub.

I've got a 915/63 box, this has the 6 bolt output flanges and my swing arm stub axles are the 4 bolt (2 roll pin) type with brand new (2 month old wheel bearings).

Okay, so I have a pair of 6 bolt drive shafts and a pair of 4 bolt drive shafts... just select a pair and swap CVs so I have 4 bolt at one end and 6 at the other, right? No, doesn't work as the spline ends on the 6 bolt are a smaller diameter than the 4 bolt.... just can't work. I even tried combining the actual CV components, but the bearings are a different diameter.

Searches tell me that there are two kinds of output flanges for the 915. The early 915 used the 4 bolt pattern and then switched to the 6 bolt around SC era. But apparently the splines of these respective flanges are different? And won't just swap into the differential?

What I need to know is; am I best to try and swap differentials/output flanges with the earlier 915? Or should I waste a pair of new rear bearings and change stub axles to 6 bolt flanges and use the SC driveshafts/CVs?

C'mon gurus... where do I go from here?!

Old 10-16-2005, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Licensed User

Im pretty sure you can change your CVs from 4 to the later 6 bolt at the input flange side where they hook up to the tranny. I dont know how you do it, but I think Ive been told that it ca be done.

Im in a similar situation and decided to use SC trailing arm assemblies and CVs. I know that doesnt help much, but if you dont have alloy trailing arms yet, it might be worth looking into.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Well I hope someone can chime in and tell me what I need to do, but as I've said, the SC CV joints I have won't mate to the 4 bolt shafts I have and vice versa...
Old 10-16-2005, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Bump!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
John,

To keep your freshly rebuilt trailing arms as-is, you need to get a set of late model carrera (3.2) 915 or 930 fine spline drive flanges. These use a CV with the large bolt pattern (same diameter pattern as early flanges), albeit with 6 off M10 bolts, not 4 off M10 bolts in combination with 2 off M10 Roll Pins.

You can deal with this fastener mismatch in any of at least 3 ways

1) drill two of the M10 threads out of the drive flanges and use the plain holes for your M10 roll pins.

2) Drill through the sheet metal cover on the CV where the two roll pins are located (through holes are masked by only the CV boot mounting sheetmetal) - remove M10 roll pins and use 6 off M10 bolts per CV.

3) make some short headless M10 studs, screw them / lock them into the drive flamges to perform the task of the M10 roll pins - this is a kind of "Kingswood Country" solution - not one I would suggest as permanent.

Regards

Hayden
Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Thanks very much Hayden (and Brian )

Is this the smartest solution, or is replacing the axle stubs (and new bearings ) the better solution? Cheaper maybe?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
John,

Smart? Cheap? it's all relative.
Having rebuilt the trailing arms, I would tend to leave them alone.

or

You could get some SC outboard drive flanges and install them - without really upsetting the wheel bearing, then use the SC transmission flanges (6 off M8) and whole SC drive shaft / CV assembly.

Options?.., you probably need to choose which of the parts you have are best and try to work a solution around those components - buy the fewest and use those with the most remaining life.

The $ you might pay for any of the parts down there is certainly something I would hate to guess.

FYI I changed my '72 to all SC parts during the aluminum trailing arm swap, the smaller CV's, flanges, etc are all lighter and in a small motor car, no problems at all.

Regards

Hayden
Old 10-16-2005, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Thanks as usual to you Mate!

I think I might chase a set of SC stub axles and factor the cost of bearings just in case I'm being quoted $300 plus EACH for the 3.2/turbo flanges, and that's second hand!

Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: