Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

help: steering wheel hub stuck!! (momo)

Quick help needed, if you will...

I got the OE wheel of no prob (82SC) and slipped the Momo adaptor on and tightened the nut. Easy. In my excitement (and like a complete doof), I didn't realize that I forgot to get the horn wire in so off comes the nut to pull off the Momo hub. Except it won't slide off. HUH?!!! the momo hub will slide up about 1/4" so it's not like it's suck on the splines, but it feels like its hitting something solid that won't let slide up and off. I am completely confused!!! Anyone know what could be preventing it from coming off? I'd appreciate any help here ...THANKS!!

Edward

Old 10-16-2005, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

The canceling cam isn.t hanging on anything is it? what about the cloum lock? Put the key in and turn it to the acc. position and try that.
Hope this helps
Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, Rick, but tried the key and wiggling ...nothing. What is the cancelling cam? I took a flaslight to the hub and can't see a thing ('cause the hub can only slide up only about 1/4").

Edward
Old 10-16-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

the canceling cam is the piece that is screwed on to the bottom of the hub adapter. It cancles the turnsignals.
If the hub will pull up 1/4 of an inch it sounds like the splines on the steering colum are buggered up somehow.
someone didn't pot a snap ring or something like that on the shaft did they?
can you suply a pic?
good luck
Old 10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

the steel splines are biting into the softer aluminum hub. It'll come off, I use a puller when I run into a tough one like you have. Once you get it out, put some grease on the splines before you put it back on.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks, guys ...appreciate it! I saw no snap ring of any kind, and nothing to "see" for me to take pics, really.

OK, puller. This sucks...it's
Sunday and I ain't finding a puller anywhere. BTW, the orig wheel lifted off with some wiggling really easily. It's weird, really. The hub slides up that first 1/4" easily then feels like it hits something solid. Even tapping upward with a rubber mallet does nothing but jarr the whole dashboard. Any suggestions??

Ed
Old 10-16-2005, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Somewhere in the Midwest

Tapping misaligns the hub and splines..it just makes it worst unless you can tap on oposite sides of the hub with equal force.

You don't need a steering wheel specific puller. I took the claws off a 2-claw puller and just used the straight piece and the threaded stem. You can make such a tool with a nut, threaded rod and a short piece of steel. The steel fits under the hub (oposite to the hub-wheel surface). Then use the nut to jack the hub off. The idea is to apply an force along the axis of the splines....

Last edited by MotoSook; 10-16-2005 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-16-2005, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hmmm, OK you've got me thinking, Souk. Will go out to sears or autozone and see if I can get a generic puller. Thanks a bunch!!
BTW, you got a pic handy of the type of puller I'd need? Of the top of my head, it would seem the momo hub wouldn't offer one much space to fit anything onto it?? Again, thanks!

Ed
Old 10-16-2005, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

You now have the Man helping you.

Hey Souk,
I see from your website that you do business with Doughtery racing. If you come to Charlottesville give me a shout.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Ed: This is a generic one from Kragen: Kragen Puller. It's cheap enough at $8.00

Here's one from Sears for $20. For my money, if I were only going to use this once, I'd go with the one from Kragen.

Last edited by scottb; 10-16-2005 at 12:18 PM..
Old 10-16-2005, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Ed,

Here is a 2-jaw puller. take the jaws and linkage off and the straight piece will fit behind the hub, then just turn the stem.

Scott's link needed a search, but he's on the right track...any small cheap puller will work. Just make sure the straight piece is long enough to span the hub.

Rick, yep...We deal with John D. If I ever get to your neck of the woods, I'll check up on ya. (Edit: I was in VA last week, but only had one night to do anything else but work Got to hang out with some Dorkies in DC though.)

Edit: You can see how easy it would be to make one. If you have a coupling nut (long) and a stud or bolt that's just the right length, you can use a flat wrench behind the hub and turn the nut to jack the hub up with the stud or bolt resting on the steering shaft.

Last edited by MotoSook; 10-16-2005 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-16-2005, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing, nothing is hitting ...just grab the wheel, wiggle side to side then top to bottom, while pulling visciously on it...it'll come little by little. Brian

PS did ya get the Porsche logo horn button?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Souk
Scott's link needed a search, but he's on the right track...
I think I fixed the Kragen link. Try it again.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Yepo...you got it Scott. Simple too to replicate with material found in the garage.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Update and good news: I got the hub off using the the gorilla method. Souk's words of "even pressure" made sense so I put my breaker bar *through* the momo hub and just yanked up on the hub adaptor from both sides, using the bar kinda like a slide hammer, and after a few upward blows the hub slid right up and off. The splines all looked good, but I slathered some moly paste on it just to ease things a bit. Thanks a bunch guys, for the picsand all the advice!

Edward
Old 10-16-2005, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Now we want pics!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Crummy pic with nightfall and flashburn, but here goes. BTW, love the wheel: good size, nice feel, and much improved reach. Thanks to pelicanite Andrew for the wheel, and to all here for the help!

Edward

Old 10-16-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Hey Edward,
Can you tell if the yellow band on your MOMO mod 8 is removable. I've been interested in that wheel for a while but am not into the yellow so much.
Thanks,
Sam
Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Sam,

The band would bug me more were it a street car, but I hear ya. No, it's seems to be part of the leather somehow and not removeable that I can tell. If it bothers me at the track, I figure I'll just wrap the yellow strip with a small-sized piece of electrical tape ...heck, might just do that anyway.

Edward
Old 10-16-2005, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Ok, I've been curious about that for a while.
Thanks for the info.
Sam

Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: