Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

how do you seal your garage door?

This is a little off-topic I realize, but there are some threads I found on garages (with some very impressive ones!).

I have the roll-up type garage door (3 of them). The doors are wood with an insulation bonded to the inside. The problem is that they don't seal at all; I can see daylight around them, and snow even blows in around them. I have adjusted them to fit fairly tight against the framing, but it can't be too tight or they will jamb.

The only "seal" that I've found screws onto the door frame from the outside. I don't want something that shows like this. What I'm after is a way of sealing them from the inside. Anybody have such a thing? There isn't much room there, with the lifting cables running up close to the sides of the door. It seems to me that a strip of rubber on the side of the door that would press against the rear of the door frame might work. Trouble is, I can't find anything suitable. There are dozens of door seals available at Home Depot, but nothing that looks like it would work for this.

Any ideas from you guys with your impressive garages?

thanks,

Rick

Old 10-16-2005, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Re: how do you seal your garage door?

My outer seals were the same when I moved into our new home.

I have since taken the metal edging / rubber seals off to paint the garage trim and screwed them in so the rubber rests firmly on the door. A little bit of vaseline on the rubber will minimize friction betweer door and rubber. You can also caulk the corners ... if you can find a colour that matches.

Good luck,
Old 10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Welcome to the forum Rick !

Sorry, I canīt help you obviously...

Carrera '85
Old 10-16-2005, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. And I thought my garage ceiling was low at 110"; guess I should stop complaining.

Rick
Old 10-16-2005, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used the nail/screw down type on the outside. It's not pretty but at least I can't see light around the door.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by livi

Sorry, I canīt help you obviously...
Unless your looking for some red clogs
Old 10-16-2005, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Initially I thought the subject was "how do you seal you garage floor?"

bah..
1982 Porsche 911SC Coupe - Factory Short Shift |7:31 R&P in AL case | Toyo RA1 Tires | Corbeau TRS seats | M&K 2 in 2 out muffler
Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I stuffed pieces of round pipe insulation in all the cracks (top and sides) and then stapled a heavy-duty plastic tarp over everything (from the inside) and laid long 2 X 4s on the bottom of the tarp. Not pretty but it kept the breezes out and was fairly easily removed if I absolutely had to open the garage during the winter.

Jack
Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I stuffed pieces of round pipe insulation in all the cracks...
The problem is that I have a triple garage, so one door is for the Porsche and the other two are for the daily drivers. So 2 of the 3 doors will have to be opened every day. The best stuff seems to be the insulating strips that go on from the outside. If they can be painted to match the trim colour then that is the way to go. The trim stuff comes in white and my door trim is not white.

Rick
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Use the plastic outer pieces w/ attached flexible gasket material cut to length, comes in white or dark brown.

Sometimes you will want to build up the door outer frame w/ 1x so that there is more overlap, you want ~1" of overlap at top and sides.

On my unheated garages I use a single piece at the top and sides, on the heated garage w/ a 3" insulated door I doubled the gasket at the top and sides w/ ~1.5" overlap and used a third gasketed piece on the inner sides. It's toasty in there all winter.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: