Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Are my X-Drilled rotors toast (small cracks)?

After a recent DE I was changing my brake pads back to street pads and found these cracks on my rotors. I have another DE in a couple of weeks.

Are the rotors done for?
Is this always going to happen to x-drilled rotors?
Did I do anything wrong that might have caused this.?

I put these rotors on about 18 months ago they have 14 DE days and about 9k street miles on them. Track pads are hawk Blues and I am on my second set. The holes are always clogged after a DE.

Thanks
Andrew

'88 Carrera Cab 3.2 Diamond Blue Metallic - ERP Polybronze Bushings, ERP Monoballs, SW Chip, Bilstein Sports, 930S Steering Wheel, DAS Rollbar, Sparco 5pt Harness, Hunsaker Sport Seats, Dansk Pre-Muffler, MK 1in-1out Exhaust, Magnecor KV8.5 Wires
'86 944NA, Sunroof Delete, Track Rat, Full Cage
'72 914 1.7 Guards Red / '02 Audi S4 Light Silver Metallic
Old 10-16-2005, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not an expert (Bill Verburg is), but I understand that hairline cracks like these are not unusual, and as along as they don't extend to the edge of the rotor, are fine.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Worry when they get to be over 7mm long, or reach the edge of the rotor.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Jack is correct the spec for factory rotors is ~7mm , connecting holes or to the edge. But those are not factory cast in holes in rotors designed for such. There is much less "meat" holding them together and so the factory spec is optimistic for them.

Yes, they will always do that, I would buy new undrilled ones and swap them in at my convenience and on my time table otherwise carry them around and watch those very carefully, be prepared to do a track side swap.

For street use I wouldn't be overly concerned, just observant.

They crack because they get too hot, Keep them cool to slow the cracking down, the cooler they run the less cracking

Part of keeping them cool is keeping them clean, blow the junk out of the air gap and holes
Old 10-16-2005, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crusty Conservative

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg
Jack is correct the spec for factory rotors is ~7mm , connecting holes or to the edge. But those are not factory cast in holes in rotors designed for such. There is much less "meat" holding them together and so the factory spec is optimistic for them.

Yes, they will always do that, I would buy new undrilled ones and swap them in at my convenience and on my time table otherwise carry them around and watch those very carefully, be prepared to do a track side swap.

For street use I wouldn't be overly concerned, just observant.

They crack because they get too hot, Keep them cool to slow the cracking down, the cooler they run the less cracking

Part of keeping them cool is keeping them clean, blow the junk out of the air gap and holes

Bill,
Speaking strictly of aftermarket drilled rotors; does a pronounced chamfer on the drilled holes reduce the tendecy to this cracking phenomena, or not really help at all? I know this subject comes up ALL THE TIME here, and regardless of how many times we are all told NOT to do this to standard rotors, it seems to be here to stay...?

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 10-16-2005, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
It is my understanding that the aftermarket rotors, despite chamfered holes, will still crack. The OEM rotors which have the holes cast into them and have a radius at each hole, have less of a tendency to crack.

Each design, when heated enough, will certainly crack. Keep em cool, or run carbon/carbons or ceramic pads and rotors $$$$$$$$$$$$$
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)
Old 10-16-2005, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Slippery Slope Victim

I notice a crack in one of my rotors on my '85 TL and changed them just to be on the safe side.....(maybe I jumped the gun.)

Would cryogenic treatment help reduce cracking? I know it is done for wear characteristics. Just wondering.

1985 M491
Old 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi Andrew,

These are common, and are known as temperature cracks.

As Jack said, keep monitoring them, and if they grow, then you'll want to replace them.

But first, have you checked the thickness of the rotors? That's much more important, as if they are thinner than their service thickness, your caliper pistons will extend too far, with a risk of "locking" in place and not retracing.
2002 Audi TT Roadster (Wifey's Car)
1992 Mazda Miata (Daughter's Car)
1991 Honda VFR750F Interceptor
1982 Honda VF750S Sabre
Old 10-17-2005, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks guys for all the replies.

The rotors are Zimmerman rotors so they are not cast holes. The thinkness is 23.6mm so it looks like the cracks will be the controlling factor for end of life.

It looks like some cooling ducts are in my future. The last couple of DE's have been fun and fast ("speed will come" is very true, and a beautiful thing when it does), so the stock brakes have been getting a good workout on this slightly overweight "fat pig" Carrera Cab.

Andrew
'88 Carrera Cab 3.2 Diamond Blue Metallic - ERP Polybronze Bushings, ERP Monoballs, SW Chip, Bilstein Sports, 930S Steering Wheel, DAS Rollbar, Sparco 5pt Harness, Hunsaker Sport Seats, Dansk Pre-Muffler, MK 1in-1out Exhaust, Magnecor KV8.5 Wires
'86 944NA, Sunroof Delete, Track Rat, Full Cage
'72 914 1.7 Guards Red / '02 Audi S4 Light Silver Metallic
Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I had Zimmerman's that cracked also on my race car. I swapped them out for the ATE units that have the two "Saturn" ring slots cut out of them. They work very well without any problems.

911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: