Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Motor Mount Problem

Hello everyone and TIA for your help. I've run into a problem when attempting to replace my motor mounts on a 1982 911SC that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I followed Wayne's 101 projects instructions and got the first (drivers side) mount off...however, when the center bolt came out, the mounting bracket it goes into shifted back and to the passenger side. At this point I'm a little confused (stressed also!) on how to realign the mount. What would be the best course of action for this? I noticed the other mount has some play in it now (it was completely compressed and is not now). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you mean the engine support bar? You need to move the engine around with a jack if that's the case.

if its the oblong bracke tw/rubber donut - just move it around after the small bolts are loose - should not move much... unless half the sheet metal is rusted away

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-16-2005, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If antiseize wasn't used on those bolts going in to the engine support bar, they have a tendency to bend. It sounds like yours is now bent.

I had the same problem when I dropped my engine a couple of years ago. I decided to replace the support bar vs. bending it back in to shape for fear of it weakening and having the engine drop out unexpectedly. Not much holding it in to begin with so if it is indeed bent, I recommend replacing it with a new one available from our host.

-- There are only those that know and those that do not!!! --
Old 10-16-2005, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, the engine support bar shifted back and towards the passenger side of the car. I checked and the bar appears to be straight and unbent. If I need to move the engine around on the jack, do I need to then loosen the passenger side motor mount first or is this more of a shove it back into position step? Any tips on how to move the jack to get the easiest and best effect? What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

it's mild steel - just bend it back
- inspect for cracks tho

either way should work, but I would loosen everything - incl. the 2 tranny bolts - just loosen, not remove

then move it around - a good 2 person job but 1 person can do it.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-16-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok, I finally got to look at my problem again today. The engine support bar is indeed bent just before the weld where it connects to the mounting hardware of the motor mount. When I first looked Sunday night if it was bent, I thought the support bar was shaped this way...after looking at it again today and reviewing what it should look like via a photo I realized it was indeed twisted to the left. I have ordered a new support bar and it should be here tomorrow.

Now, my new question is, what is the best way to go about replacing the engine support bar? I still have the passenger side mount attached and I want to make sure I when I disconnect the other mount, my engine doesn't, twist, fall, ect. Any suggestions for doing this easily? What's the best way to support the engine for this?

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

The engine will be fine if support on a jack, a 2x4 helps to distribute the load a little. When installed/removing the mounts, dont tighten either side until they are both started.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Yes, I know the rules about mentioning other vendors regarding potential part sales, but I recently installed the Wevo semi-solid mounts (purchased from Pelican) and in attempting to get the engine mounts out, I actually had to break the support bar. I tried everything that I read on Pelican (all of John Walker's advice) and I couldn't get the bolt's loose. So I ordered this as a replacement:

I'm very pleased with it. It's made out of brushed stainless and is a little stronger than OEM...even with the holes in it. I won't mention the vendor name...so if you want more info PM me.

Jeff

Old 10-18-2005, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: