Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Interior light door switches and DME??

My interior lights were working fine when I opened either door.

A few days ago my car, which normally starts instantly, would not start. I cranked for five seconds then stopped. I cranked again and it fired, but idled rough for a few seconds then ran perfect. The ignition issue has not repeated, but since that time my interior light stopped working when I open the doors.

I thought somehow an electrical surge(??)damged both switched so ordered new ones. I used my volt meter to test the positive lead and the ground (car body) and I got good current. )I also realized the switches are low tech and can't burn out.)

I checked the 5 amp fuse for the interior lights and radio and it is fine.

I can turn on the interior lights manually, but I am stumped why the switched won't work. If there was a short, why didn't the fuse blow?

Bentley manual says the power distrubution does tie into the DME relay down the line.

I am stumped. It's almost like a wire is cut, but the volt meter says it's ok.

2003 996tt
1997 911 Coupe Artic Silver (sold)
1988 Black 911 Coupe (gone but not forgetten)
Old 10-16-2005, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
Maybe the door light switch is bad...
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

factory alarm is triggered by the neagtive door switches, which could be the root cause(DME power cut anti theft. i would get the light switches to work . When these fail to ground , they leave a relay open for power window operation after the key is off. this allows operation of the windows untilthe door is opened, whence the negative door trigger functions correctly and the relay for window operation cuts power. i mention this because a dead battery is next on the list of problems. If the car sits for two weeks with the window relay energized, the draw kills the battery, all from a defective negative trigger door light switch!and as mentioned at the top, the door trigger is part of the factory alarm system, long shot that this is your no startproblem today, get the switches to function, then go to no start. this could be no power or failed dme relay, and coincidental to the light switches.

post posting! interupted in my thoughts and see your car does run(dme ok!), the rough idle could be attributed to low batt, from the failed door triggers, drawing batt down, fix the switches, failure is due to corrosion at the switch, or a butchered aftermarket alarm installation, these guys use the negative door trigger wire located at the base of the hood shocks, and splice in. removed a few of these hacks before!

Last edited by Series900; 10-17-2005 at 04:57 AM..
Old 10-17-2005, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: