Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Flywheel Bolt Alternatives

I've just forked out hefty coin for some fairly ordinary looking bolts - apart from the obvious 12 point bit required to wind 'em up.

There is a significant difference in price between the bolts used in the 6 bolt and 9 bolt flywheels. And I frankly can't work out the difference in quality or manufacture specs.

Has anyone ever used quality allen headed bolts or even standard headed bolts as an alternative to these $10 jobbies?

Old 10-17-2005, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well the bolts are made to stretch at a certain torque and stay firm. I wouldn't trust any old hardware to hold on the flywheel. If any of those bolts even get loose bad things can happen......would you use any old bolts to hold on the heads to an engine?
1999 911 C2 Aero
Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
I did a fair bit of searching on the board and there is clearly two camps. Apparently the bolts are not stretch bolts and Porsche says they can be reused. Several of the reputable builders on this board reuse them... That got me to thinking that there should be other high quality fastners out there of the same quality and surely less that the 10 to 15 dollars currently asked by Porsche.

I agree, I am not prepared to be a bunny, and I am going with new factory bolts; but I thought a few of the racers out there might have come up with alternatives.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I also looked for a cheaper bolt. I couldn't find one. I would reuse the 9 bolts but not the 6 bolts. Maybe we should just be happy that we can still get the bolts from Porsche

Dean
Old 10-17-2005, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There are not two camps but two types of bolts. Check the factory workshop manual and you'll see that they discontinued the stretch bolts in the late 1970's.

I would never use a cheapo bolt - the bolts are hardened and very precisely made (well, not compared the things in aerospace, nuclear bombs, etc.). You don't want the flywheel to come off.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-17-2005, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Thanks Randy, that clarifies it. As I said, I'd go with the correct factory bolts, but I just have trouble accepting that the earlier bolts are 10 times the quality of the later versions

Last edited by Fishcop; 10-17-2005 at 05:24 PM..
Old 10-17-2005, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

yeh - and maybe they aren't -- you are paying a risk premium

just like in an insurance policy

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: