Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

New shifter bushings = more transmission noise?

I just replaced the old shifter bushings in my '80 911SC with the plastic bushings sold in kit-form by Pelican. The improvement in shifting precision is everything promised....the car shifts really very nicely in all gears.

But there is a noticeable increase in transmission noise that resonates through the base of the shifter. It is not a subtle noise, but a very pronounced noise of transmission whine in all gears.

I have done some searches for past PP posts and no-one mentions this unexpected (for me) side effect. Did I do something wrong, or does this go away as the bushings work-in with use?

2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 10-17-2005, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Did you replace the shift coupler bushings. These are the bushings in the shift coupler which is located under the access panel on the tunnel between the rear passenger footwells. Stock bushings are oblong, and the replacements are round. So, this decreases front-to-back play in the shift linkage, but it does increase the amount of transmission noise coming into the tunnel and into the cabin.

For many folks, replacing these bushings might not make sense. For me, I don't care about race car noise. I kinda like it. It's a fairly ugly noise compared to engine music. But, as they say, "That's racing."
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I replaced all of the original shifter bushings, a total of four if you count the two in the coupler. All of the replacement parts are plastic.

Since the stock bushings were designed oblong, that would explain why the original coupler bushings seemed to have the most play as I dissassembled the linkage.......I assumed that play was slop from wear and tear....it never occurred to me that they were designed that way.

The fact that the replacements are round and not oblong would explain the noise difference. I'm mostly surprised that this increase in transmission noise is not mentioned in Wayne's book or in other posts I read.....because it is much more pronouced than before.

It will take some getting used to....I guess I should be glad I didn't replace with brass bushings because I bet they are even louder.

The best part is that it does shift much better...and I did not mess up!
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

I just did my 82SC a few months back and I didn't notice any increase in the noise level. It was summertime though and windows and sunroof always open.
Did you lube the 2 front bushings when you installed them?
I havn't noticed any abnormal noises on these past few cool, window up mornings.
The bushing kit is a nice set-up isn't it. I love the lack of slop.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You did well if you replaced the shift couple bushings without breaking the coupler.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I replaced mine I went to the Wevo coupler and there is indeed more noise transmitted through the solid setup. I tried dampening the noise by putting some old intertube around the shift rod with tie wraps, and that helped a bit.
I'm still not happy with my adjustment. 1st and 2nd gear are too hard to get into. I need do play with it more. The slop is gone for sure.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I used to have problems getting into 1st and 2nd gear too, but fitting the Seine Systems gate shift kit eradicated this. I know this kit is only supposed to improve the feel of the gear change and thus prevent missed shifts, but for me it definately made it easier to slip into first and second - its as if though it makes these gears easier to slot into due to the necessity of having to negotiate the gear lever round the new gate shift tabs. I changed the bushings too, but the improvement was there when testing the gate shift kit before fitting the new bushings. I strongly recommend this kit unless you've got a Wevo or something - my car shifts like cream now.

I didn't notice any increase in tranny noise with the new bushings by the way. I wonder if using more grease would help descrease this noise?

'84 911 3.2
Old 10-18-2005, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I was pretty liberal with lithium grease on all of the new components so I would be surprised if lack of lubrication is contributing to the extra noise.

I was careful in removing the stock coupler bushings .....I used a large bench vise and some improvised fixtures. I never got the impression that the coupler was being stressed to the breaking point. The hardest part was replacing the Circular Bushing on the shift rod. The replacement was a little devel....it did not want to fit in the metal holder.

The job went easier than I expected, that's why I was afraid that the extra transmission noise was a result of me missing something. Although I hope the noise abates as things work in, I can live with it because it does have give it a "race car" sound.
2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yep, tranny noises are 'nasty' sorts of noises. But hey, that's what race cars sound like. I sure enjoy the Hans Stuck at Nurburgring in a BMW GTR video, especially the sound. That gearbox is gnarly.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: