Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

John Walker....Very Good Guy

Last week, I posted something about a weird electrical problem that I was having with my rear heater blower. I receved a number of responses, but also heard from John Walker of John Walker Motors. I've seen his posts on many ocassions and his responses seem quite knowledgable. The further I dug into this problem, the weirder it got. I e-mailed John back and he returned my inquiries several times. As it turned out, and after a number of back-and-forth e-mails, he got me pointed in the right direction. I still had to find the correct latitude and longitude (with the help of a knowledgable friend), but at least I wasn't rowing the ocean aimlessly and eventually found the problem, which did, in fact, turn out to be quite minute and easily overlooked. Besides seeming to be a genuinely good guy, it's quite unusual these days for a professional with his level of skills and reputation to take the time out of his workday to help the common man. Just thought I'd throw it out there and say thanks.

Steve

Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
Post an email for him! (if he doesn't mind)

I have an electrical problem too, that I'm not ready to post to Pelican about yet. (just trying to ensure I know enough to ask an educated of enough question.)
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by acapella8
Post an email for him! (if he doesn't mind)
I have an electrical problem too, that I'm not ready to post to Pelican about yet. (just trying to ensure I know enough to ask an educated of enough question.)
Post your problem here first. We save the really weird stuff for John so as not to overload him.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
durn for'ner

When ever John is posting - its worth reading.

Great combo of tech knowledge, know how and humor !

Carrera '85
Old 10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Light,Nimble,Uncivilized

Garage
John's an OK guy, I guess.

Oh, and it's John Walker's Workshop, not Motors. Sheesh.

His email address, as I recall, is part of his signature.
R #464
Old 10-17-2005, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The best of the best in my opinion.

Carl Muckley
Old 10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I thought you were talking about Johnny Walker, the scotch. That is good too. But, John W is the best.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I hear he likes fine Cuban Cigars as a token of appreciation....
Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

......and Moose Drool beer.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to MysticAlpaca
I have the great fortune of living in the Seattle area. In fact we have several great Porsche places to pick from here, however Johnís was the first place that was recommended to me when I got my Targa and I tend to stick with one wrench if at all possible. I am a very satisfied customer.

I just had my head temp sensor and e-brakes fixed a couple of weeks back. The real tough decision for me was deciding to do my own oil changes because now I will be stopping in the shop less often.

Also it's a neat shop, with all kinds of cool projects laying around and stacks of great parts, grease, body panels, ect. very fun to place to get into the "dig into your Porsche" mood.

--Bill
02' Mini Cooper S (traded )
91' VW G60 Corrado (sold )
Old 10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

He has always been very generous with his time and advice. So much so, in fact, I wonder when he works(?).
Thanks John
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Unregistered

One of these days JW's gonna get one wrong. One of these days......
Unfortunately We'll all be living at siezure-world by then

If he says to check a part or measurement, just do it. Somehow he knows what is wrong with your car. It's almost like he has ESPN or something
Old 10-17-2005, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by arcsine
That is not bad beer. Had a few myself.

Tim
Old 10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Bye, Bye.

Oh great, another JW worship thread.

He did some work on my first 911, including a rebuild of one of the smoothest shifting 915s you will ever come across.

I have only one thing to say about John.....we're not worthy, we're not worthy.

He is a great asset to this forum, and we are lucky to have him here and in Seattle.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
This thread could grow and grow to become the largest thread on this entire BBS and still, not enough praise could be said of John. It's an honor to have met the man, the myth, the legend!

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I just tried that at a brew fest a month or so ago.

Pretty good! Had a lot of people interested on name alone.

Oh yeah, JW is tops!

-Chris

Well on the fringe......
Old 10-17-2005, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter92

Your like a charter member of the WWJW do cult...LOL

We need to develop a Porsche Tuner TV show and get a few of these local Porsche guys to work thier magic on TV. I would watch that.

--Bill
Old 10-17-2005, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter92

This is what JW said to me this afternoon. He's not a glory hound, so he'd just as soon you guys let it go. So......

I'll agree that he's the best. My kind of mechanic. Part of what I like about him is that while he admires and appreciates these cars, he doesn't think they're made of gold-gilded lead crystal. He's a gearhead to the bone marrow. He's saving me a TON of money this week alone, as he's done many times.

And yeah, when he gives advice, he's not very wordy and he doesn't repeat or explain. So, listen very carefully. I've made the mistake, a couple of times, of not listening carefully enough. It has been a mistake each time.

Sorry John, but you deserved it.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Would you guys stop this!!! Last week it was Bill Verburg, the person who has forgotten more than most of us know about 911 brakes, and now JW. Suppose you guys want him as a forum moderator as well???!!!!

If John is helping you it usually does not take long to figure out the problem. He is one of the best.

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman
And yeah, when he gives advice, he's not very wordy and he doesn't repeat or explain. So, listen very carefully. I've made the mistake, a couple of times, of not listening carefully enough. It has been a mistake each time.
Yeah, I hear that. He told me during my PPI that a loose cable would eventually take out my alternator...and I forgot about it. Well over $500 later I have a new alternator and battery. So thatís why I was in there for the head temp sensor, which was his other recommendation, as I had the old original one. I wasnít going to pass up another good piece advice again.

For that matter I read many of the posts here from a lot of the people who work on their cars and plan on doing my own shocks and turbo tie rods in a few weeks. The real hero here is Pelican Parts for providing such a great place for a centralized knowledge base.

--Bill

Old 10-17-2005, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: