Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smile Posting images on Pelican

Posting images on Pelican.

One of the great benefits Wayne provides us is the ability to post images among our text. This is one of the more difficult things for the novice and non-internet-savvy members (me included). I thought I would post my technique and we all share “the tricks.”

I have three sources of images; from my digital camera, from my scanner, and those downloaded off line. My camera and scanner produce huge files (1-6M) that are not suitable for posting. Occasionally I get a big file downloaded. What to do? We need to not use up Wayne’s bandwidth needlessly so some adjustment is necessary.

Another Pelican put me onto this freeware from IrfanView and it has worked well. It is an easy, free and safe download.

So … what is the procedure? I’ll go through my process.

I start with an image stored from one of the three sources. It can be in one of many formats but usually .bmp or .jpg.

If I want to annotate it with arrows or text I use the lame Paint that came with Windows. I save the annotated version.

Next is the IrfanView compression.

I open the IrfanView program
File
Open
Resize/resample
Best fit to desktop
OK
File
Save (or Save as)
Now I have the image suitable for posting in .jpg format.

When in a Pelican thread, I click on
“Post Reply” (yellow box in lower left)
I tend to paste my pre-composed text in the “Your Reply” box.
Then “Click Here To Upload Photo”
This gives you a new screen, click “Browse”
Find your image file and click “Open”
Back at the prior screen click ”Upload Now”
After it uploads, it pastes the image address (on Pelican) at the end of your post in the “Post Reply” box.
I cut&paste the address to the part of the text where I want the image located.
When finished with images, I click on “Preview Reply” at the bottom of the screen.
I then proof my post.
I tend to add carriage return/line feed (Return) at the end of text lines to prevent super long (and difficult to read) lines. I wish there were a better way here.
When satisfied I click “Submit Reply” button at the bottom.
You are then sent to your post.
I proof it again.
I use the edit feature if I find a mistake.

There seems to be another way to post images using vB code that I don’t know. What is that?

I would like to be able to compile my entire post in my word processor (MS Word) and simply paste it to Pelican. Is this possible?

Perhaps some Pelicans can help me speed this process up and provide better posts. I need to use my word processor because it alerts me to typos and has my custom spell-check dictionary. Lame old me. I now have nine 700 page Word documents for Pelican posts and related.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Best,
Grady

PS, I really want to thank the Pelicans who have helped get me where I am.
G.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your shared knowledge here on Pelican is much appreciated! I'm in awe of the things you know and share. Wish I had your answer here, but it's great to see someone who knows so much, but is also humble enough to share that they don't know everything! Thanks for being so generous with the information.

I'm sure someone will provide the answer. This place never ceases to amaze me.

Doug
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
I got put on to Irfanview a few years ago from this board (thanks Early_S_Man). Well worth it!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Registered Member

Garage
I typically download photos from my digital camera, then take those images to another program (adobe photoshop) and reduce the size of the image there... The newly reduced size image is then within the size limits to upload to the board...

Good luck from another computer challenged Pelican!!
'85 Carrera Coupe, Marble Grey #118 JP/R6
'93 Lexus SC400, '00 Ford F-150
'70 911T- 2.7 (SOLD)
Old 10-17-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 84porsche
Grady,

Do you have Microsoft Office 2003 installed on your machine. If so, then you have a great program for image resizing. This can resize images rather quickly. If you have a Win XP, you can download the XP image resizer program here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

which would make image conversion easier. You also have the option of adding pictures on to your free webspace should you have any and linking them to an appropriate post on Pelican through HTML. As far as vB code, someone else may be able to expand more as I am not too experienced in vB.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the vBcode help page. Link The only way to setup your images before hand would be to host your own images, and just use the [img] tag.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

MBruns for President

Garage
vb code - just put an image tag on it if hosted somewhere else - ie [imq]http://www.photbucket.com/911.jpg[/imq] just replace the "q" with a "g"

You can also typically "hot link" a picture file this way. Right click on the picture (like from another website) choose properties, highlight the full property address, control c to copy (it will look like above) then type the image tag [img] (control v pastes the property address you just copied) put the / image tag on the rear of the file and hit the submit reply button. Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
some sites have hotlink protection so you can't use their images and bandwidth, you just have to try it and see. One way to resize is to simply get the image on your screen in the viewable size you want...push the print screen button and then open MS paint. Then you can paste the image and crop it down, save and your done.
2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
I use ACDSee to convert from JPEG to BMP. Then ms paint to resize. Then ACDSee to convert back to JPEG. Then, finally up to this BBS. I wish I had Photoshop!

98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: