Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

OMFG! Cracked Transmission Bellhousing Lobe

Has anyone ever seen a cracked transmission bellhousing lobe? This is the part of the transmission that the clutch release shaft pivots in? The one in my G50 looks like it broke away in two places. I'm pulling the engine tomorrow and hopefully a local machine shop can weld it back together but if anyone has any suggestions for how-to reinforce this I'm all ears, retail $$$ for just this part of the bellhousing is $1900USD.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Not too uncommon. Search for "G-50 Update." I believe we discussed the broken ear problem. I never had to fix one, but I suppose on could repair it by welding the broken piece back one and kiss/smooth the bore, then use a Weltmeister update kit (with bushings).

The tranny may have been updated using the factory method, which might have ultimately helped to cause the ear to break. I can't tell from the picture whether that is the case.

Last edited by MotoSook; 10-18-2005 at 01:42 AM..
Old 10-18-2005, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Eeek! Heard of that happening, but never actually saw it. Hopefully someone can weld it like Souk mentioned and spare your the $1900 ... good luck.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have just been through the hassle of trying to remove that pivot from my tanny and I was sooo scared of breaking the lobes so I just took my time(read here 2 weeks). I went out to the garage most days and gave the bits I could reach a squirt with some penetrating oil in the hope that it would loosen up and then tried each time to yank it out.

The day it actually came out I gave it a tap inwards first which seemed to break the crud that was sealing it in and then it slid out pretty easily.

Not sure if it was the weeks of penetrating oil or the tap in that got it going - probably a combination of the 2.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Same thing happened to mine when I removed the tranny during my engine swap. The broken piece was welded back. I haven't had any issues in 2 years with it. Here's my thread on the subject.

#$%^!! G50 tranny - ear broke off while removing the release shaft
87 911 Coupe - Venetian Blue Track Car - Sadly Sold
2015 Audi Q5, 2015 Golf TDI
Old 10-18-2005, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the links and words of encouragement (don911, you don't know how happy I am to read your reply.) I dropped the engine & tranny yesterday and surprise, both ears are cracked so I will be dropping the tranny off at a local machine shop for repair ($100-200USD)

Souk,
This G50 is from a MY93 964RSA so the release shaft has always been updated.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Most people have had luck with welding. Mine broke after the welding, I ended up getting another tranny from oklahoma foreign.

This is one of a handful that I've heard of. I believe less than 10 in the past 5 years and lots of time online here and on rennlist. One mechanic believed it may have been from an improperly adjusted clutch pedal stop in combination with the factory bearing update.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: