Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tracking down Prior owners

I just bought a 911T 1971 coupe. The prior owner gave me significant circumstancial evidence that this car was bought new and used by Robert Redford in Utah in 1971. He received several speeding tickets. I paid only low book for the car, but would like to follow up on the anecdotal evidence provided by the prior ownere as to Redfords involvement with this particular car.

Does any one have any links or info on tracking down Porsches to original dealers of owners??

Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

See that you are new to the forum. Try doing a search on this. There is a button in the upper right corner of the page.

Believe that this has been covered a few times and might give you some good hints.

Glad to see Redford's old car still around and in good hands! You might also try contacting Redford himself for additional information.

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB

Last edited by Joeaksa; 10-18-2005 at 12:13 PM..
Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I searched and couldn't find any threads...maybe because people typically use the abbreviation "po"?

Correction: I found this useless thread...
How to locate the PO ?

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe

Last edited by 911SCfanatic; 10-18-2005 at 12:12 PM..
Old 10-18-2005, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would try the Reford family or just do a web search for pic's of him with the car, I think it would be nice if you could get one and have it enlarged to say 8 x 10 and frame it to keep with the car, signed would be even better,

Todd

PS... If he bought it new or completed the change of ownership card on the car Porsche AG can help you out as well.

Todd
Old 10-18-2005, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just looked a bit trying to track Redford down and came up empty. Tried to find his agent but there are just too many hits on google.

He can be contacted through Sundance, his organization up in Utah. Might try there.

http://www.sundance.org/

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
I know he crushed one as a gift to another actor whos name is skipping my mind right now.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

DeNiro
Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Actually I think it might have been paul newman now that I think of it, but I have been wrong before. Getting off the new posters topic though. I'm trying to do the same thing. The only problem is the guy that sold me the car seems to avoid my emails like the plague. Sure makes me feel good about buying a car from him. So I am interested in hearing what others have done to find PO's as well.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You'd think living here IN Utah that I'd be able to track the man down.

You'd think that living here in Utah I'd be able to track ol' Robert down. Maybe I'll just drive the thing to sundance and put a big sign on the car window saying "Robert, is this here your car"?

I think I'll try the State of Utah DMV. The car was supposedly bought here new.

Keep sending comments though. Some good thoughts within 30 minutes of the first post.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
Have you tried looking at the CarFax results? You can at least see where (almost how) it was registered each year?
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
too old for carfax.

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Yeah carfax started in 82 I think.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
DP935 member

I found this interesting story while looking for some info on your car and thought I would share in this thread.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/12/11/60II/main320857.shtml

"Redford remembers the time as “the most fun I’ve ever had making a film.” As a bonus, he and Newman became fast friends.

“I admire him, “ Newman says of Redford. “He’s not sucked in by fashionable things. And he keeps his life to himself. And he’s very comfortable inside his own skin, I think.”

The two are alike “to the extent that we’re both private people,” Newman says, though he readily admits Redford “is more private than I am.”

The bond has lasted over 30 years and survived some rather extravagant practical jokes, like the time when Redford bought his friend an unusual birthday present and had it delivered to Newman’s home.

“I went to this junkyard and I asked him to see if they had an old Porsche that had been destroyed, and they did, “ Redford recalls. “They found an old Porsche that was totally flat.

“And,” explains Newman, “ he must have had it brought in on a hook and just dropped in the driveway. So I had it compacted and boxed.”

Newman had the old car squeezed into a large metal cube, put in a box, and sent to Redford’s house.

“And about two weeks later,” Redford says, picking up the story, “I came up for the weekend, I came up to the house. And I opened the door and I went into the foyer, and there was this big box, and I noticed that the box itself, the weight of the box had begun to crush the floor.”

Newman estimates it must have weighed 1,400 pounds. “It took four of us to carry it into his house,” he says.

So what did Redford do? “I didn’t say anything,” Redford says. “I didn’t acknowledge getting it.”

Adds Newman, “ So in the final analysis, you see, he won.”

It’s been a quarter of a century since Redford’s second partnership with Newman in The Sting, but they still are looking for the right vehicle for another collaboration.

“The opportunity hasn’t come around, “ Redford says. “It just hasn’t. Surprises me, 'cause Hollywood’s pretty big at formula stuff. If it came and it was right, we would both agree on it, we’d just do it. But it hasn’t come. It’s not like we don’t want to. We would like to.”

Now Redford is appearing in Spy Gamewith a new partner from a new generation, Brad Pitt.

His advice to Pitt and other younger actors, Redford says, “ is to make sure you have another life.

“Have another life bcause it keeps you open to a bigger part of yourself, rather than shrinking back down. Have another life because this is a tough business. It’s a cruel, often brutal business to your psyche. Have another life to spare yourself. Have another life because – think of how beautiful it is when you bring that other life into your main life. That’s been my main thing, “ he says. “And that’s what it is for me.”

The “Sundance Kid” is a grandfather now, with three grown children and a private life he prefers to keep private. He considers his “other life” to be at Sundance. That is where he seems happiest.

He’s still got dreams and ambitions, though. “I want to play the flute,” he tells Rose, then laughs. “It’s not gonna happen.'"

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 10-18-2005, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If you find you can’t get the information yourself, try interviewing detective/research agencies that attorneys use. For a few hundred you can get everything. If it as represented, the expenditure is well worth the money.

If it was driven by him; go talk to him. He probably has pictures he will share. Ask. He puts his pants on one leg at a time.

When it comes to Porsche, most clebs change hats and are one of us. I gave Steve McQueen THE Porsche poster (he had not seen it before) and he signed mine. No big deal. I even let him drive my 911 - carefully. Once you get out of the “Hollywood” mindset and into “Porsche” these are just regular Porsche people.

Best,
Grady

Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 10-18-2005, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: