Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Brake (non P-car) question

I'm helping my brother change his brake pads. After all I'm the resident expert since I rebuilt all the calipers on my 87 G50 Coupe. Now I have a problem and need you to bail me out. The brake caliper is single piston. I had to break the caliper apart to get the outside pad in place but of course now the wheel won't turn. I was not able to slide the pad in after removing the old one. What's up with that?

Old 10-18-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure what caliper that is but many of them need a special tool to turn the piston like a screw to retract it, look for odd patterns in the piston face for the engagement points.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was able to push the piston back in without any trouble, but the other "non-active"side would not expand to allow the pad to fit in. (it's a '92 Mazda product BTW).
Old 10-18-2005, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

It sounds like you did not push the piston in far enough. I use a big C-clamp and compress the piston in AS FAR AS IT WILL GO. I usually place the C-clamp on the old brake pad for a surface. It should be almost flush with the caliper. Make sure you watch the master cylinder so that it does not over flow. Use a turkey baster to remove excess brake fluid if needed.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hendog,
Like Bill said, alot of the imports have calipers where the piston is retracted by screwing them in. I use a pair of channel lock pliers, very carefully. You can also buy a tool at any parts house that allows you to use a 3/8 drive socket wrench. If I'm not mistaken, the rear calipers are the ones that screw in, not the fronts. From the picture, I would get a new set of pins, these look bent. If these are the fronts, I would put the old pads back in and use them with a large pair of channel locks, C clamp or a pair of large screwdrivers and push the piston further in.
Good luck,
Phatnine11
Old 10-18-2005, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the rear calipers are the ones that screw in, not the fronts. From the picture, I would get a new set of pins, these look bent. If these are the fronts, I would put the old pads back in and use them with a large pair of channel locks, C clamp or a pair of large screwdrivers and push the piston further in.
That's correct the screw drive is part of the parking brake adjustment.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I've worked on it some more now. Bill's initial comment on the "screw" led me to look at the the two bolts on the right side covered by rubber boots. The clamp travels on these bolts, except in this case the top one is seized and does not allow for the clamp to travel on it. If we were at a Midas shop we'd be hearing "Hey buddy, you need new calipers". Thanks for the quick replies. My brother was amazed at the response I get from such a great forum; even if it's other cars. Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: