Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
H5 Headlight refresh (before & after pics)

Hi all,

I was replacing a cracked lens/reflector assembly and decided to clean up the used one I had purchased from fellow
Pelican lobster (thanks Dane ). I decided to use rubbing alcohol on the suggestion of several people, and the results
were better than expected. The process was to simply remove the headlights and separate the lens / reflector from
the bucket assembly, then remove the bulb and the air filter (rectangular piece of plastic that is screwed to the bottom
portion of the reflector). Pour some alcohol into the lens and cover the bulb hole and air filter hole with your hands and
shake violently Then empty the alcohol and wait for the lens to dry completely. You can speed this along if you have
an air compressor to blow out the lens, just make sure your not blasting dust or other contaminants into the lens. Have
a look at the results.

Side by side -

Before -

After -

I'm going to take the cracked lens and do a couple of experiments ... one of which will be to add a small amount of salt
to the alcohol to use as a mild abrasive - I'll report back w/ the results.

Cheers,
Old 10-19-2005, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Way cool idea, Brandon.
We used to use ice and salt as an abrasive to clean coffee pots that were left on the heat empty. Worked great.

Wayne
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I need to do that in a bad way.
2013 991 - Sold
2015 Audi Q5, 2015 Golf TDI
Old 10-19-2005, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
good stuff, Brandon. Somebody, somewhere posted that H5s suck for some reason, not really sure why. Does Porsche make mistakes? I understand the need for adequate roadway illumination (esp at speed) but is not this whole H4 retrofit thing a little overblown? Experienced hands here, please chime in.

1989 Carrera
1989 928 S4
Old 10-21-2005, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ddann
Brandon thanks for the cleaning tip.

What is the purpose of the metal clip around the bulb? Mine came loose and I can't seem to figure out how to put it back on without opening the housing.

Thanks, Dan.

Laughter is still the best medicine.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ddann
Brandon thanks for the cleaning tip.

What is the purpose of the metal clip around the bulb? Mine came loose and I can't seem to figure out how to put it back on without opening the housing.

Thanks, Dan.
I believe it blocks the light from the bulb in going straight up and out through the glass (rather than only reflecting down on the road.)

Could be wrong, but I just had the same thing happen to mine. I was thinking of how I could glue mine back in. Don't think it is possible.

Doug
Old 10-22-2005, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
GFCC

Brandon, Great tip. I did mine yesterday and they turned out great. All I need to do now is polish out some of the rock chips on the face and they will look brand new.

1976 911 Coupe w/ Euro 3.0 - Sold
1987 Carrera Coupe - Sold
1999 Carrera Cabriolet - Current
Old 10-23-2005, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by KS120196
good stuff, Brandon. Somebody, somewhere posted that H5s suck for some reason, not really sure why. Does Porsche make mistakes? I understand the need for adequate roadway illumination (esp at speed) but is not this whole H4 retrofit thing a little overblown? Experienced hands here, please chime in.
Not an expert but here is my $0.02
My H5 headlights didn't seem very bright when driving on dark roads at night. The stock wattage was 60/55 for low/high beam. I tried several brands of "bright white" and "cool blue" bulbs, but I still wanted more. I looked at the price of H4s about $350 and while within my budget decided I could take a DIY approach and see if my H5s could be just as good.

Also there seems to be a problem mounting the H4s due to only a single screw holding them in place. There is a workaround suggested of Tie Wrapping the lens in place...Not very Porsche like if you ask me.

Good light is an essential safety requirement. It seems to me that installing new H4s after having old cloudy low-watt H5s can give the impression that the H5 is crapola. IMHO my original H5 Lighting quality could have been compromised by:
Poor wiring
Faulty lighting switche
Faulty charging system
Scratched or pitted headlamp lens
Reflector corrosion
Dust
Damaged headlamp bulb (loss of transparency of the glass)
Poor headlamp aim

On my car I also found a damaged bulb holder when the PO had broken the retaining ring on the lens so he glued the bulb into the lens...sigh...

I installed the Marcus Sucro relay kit and immediately can see a diff with lamps getting a real 12v. $25.00

80/100 bulbs rated 5800K Super White. (The color of natural sunlight is 5250Kelvin) $29.00

Clean the lens with alcohol $0.0 (very cool idea, Brandon)

With careful aiming completed, I now have bright white H5s that are nearly night and day difference from the old.
total cost : $54.00
when the poor brain is cracking
there's nothing like packing
a suitcase ..(or getting in the Porsche) and sailing away " Cole Porter, anything Goes"

Last edited by Seeeu911; 10-23-2005 at 07:19 AM..
Old 10-23-2005, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Seeeu911, you're the man. Perfect summation of disparate bits of info, nicely tied together. THANKS.

1989 Carrera
1989 928 S4
Old 10-23-2005, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FrayAdjacent911
Seeeu, I started reading your description, and I thought (before I got to it) that you should install a relay kit, and thus have the lamps isolated, AND on new wiring.

Sounds like it did the trick!

69 911T Targa - "Stinky"
2001 Boxster "Stahlgewehr"
Old 10-23-2005, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys,

Glad you guys found this useful!

The metal tab is indeed a light shield. For those that are missing it here is a simple drawing I put together to show the bulb to light shield orientation.

If you look closely I also illustrated why the shield is not necessary with modern bulbs .. notice the painted end of the bulb.

There are definitely mixed opinions when it comes to the H4/H5 debate. The output difference is marginal. All things being equal (lens/reflector clarity, bulb type and wattage, relays installed, etc) I think most would be hard pressed to tell the difference from the cab of the car or viewing the car coming at you.

One of the other experiments I'm going to be playing with is to add City Lights to the H5 lens / reflector assembly.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Seeeu911:

I would be interested in your comments after running the "improved" H5s for 2+ months now. Are you still satisfied with the light output? Have you had any heat-related issues from the 80/100 bulbs?

1989 Carrera 3.2L coupe - departed
- Stone Grey Metallic / Silk Grey
Old 01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
UFLYICU

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ZOA NOM
Re: H5 Headlight refresh (before & after pics)

Quote:
Originally posted by 87coupe
then remove the bulb and the air filter (rectangular piece of plastic that is screwed to the bottom
portion of the reflector).
Cheers,

That is actually a dessicant packet. Replace it or you'll be doing this cleanup job again soon.
Racer Rix Spec911.com #5 PRC Website
2005 Seal Grey 997 Carrera Coupe (Daily Driver)
1988 Venetian Blue Carrera (former Daily Driver)
1987 Venetian Blue Carrera Track Whore "Shellback Racing" (Porsche Racing Club Spec 911)
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
I highly reccommend the "rejuvenated" H5's and Hella 450 flamethrowers tucked into the old fog holes. The combo turns night into day. (*Warning* - the Hellas are NOT street legal, they are for offroad use, but WOW!)

1987 Venetian Blue Carrera Track Whore "Shellback Racing" (Porsche Racing Club Spec 911)
Old 01-12-2006, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
dmwallace, I just love them. No heat related problems, I pulled one lens recently to look and all seems 100%
very very nice at night. I have bad eyes and the improved lighting reduces my tension at speed at night.

I copied Zonas on the Hella install driving lights and these things are ugly mean flamethrowers. I can not really use these driving lights around town. Just too strong. I originally put 100W H3 up from the Hella 55W and had to go back the 55W. I turned them on the rear of a stupidly reckless ricer car one night and they lit up the interior of his car like a police swat team helicopter... too funny They work very well but I will prolly go back to Carrera fogs.
a suitcase ..(or getting in the Porsche) and sailing away " Cole Porter, anything Goes"
Old 01-13-2006, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I used Cibie 35's ( available as fogs or driving beam... I chose diving lights) instead of the Hella 450's used by Zoanas and others. The mounting for the Cibie is simplified...as it doesn't require the cut-'n-glue mounting mentioned in the Zoanas post

- Wil
Old 01-13-2006, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Seeeu911:

Thanks very much for providing the feedback along with the original posting on the right steps to take. Looks like I will go down the same path...

1989 Carrera 3.2L coupe - departed
- Stone Grey Metallic / Silk Grey
Old 01-13-2006, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Zoanas is right -- that little plastic thing is a moisture absorbant dessicant and should be renewed periodically. The assembly isn't airtight and it helps keep things reasonably dry in there for a while. I believe they're sold by our host.

'87 911 Carrera - Cabriolet
Old 01-13-2006, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Dmwallace you are most welcome you will find Pelican essential! To the proper care and feeding of your 911.

There are other posts with great info on lamps etc. I recently bought some stuff from David Sterns website. He has great tech info and while he appears to be the most factual, if not a little self serving, he is still just a vendor. The guys here will give you really good info, for the most part from practical experience not vendor opinions.

Will, I like what I read about the fit of the Cibie's but only found them after I got the Hella's I am begining not to like either becasue I can not use the carrera fog plastic shroud around the lamp. I just like that look better.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
UFLYICU

Garage
Wil, do you have a pic of the Cibie's on your car? I have plenty of opportunity to use my Hellas, and I really like their effectiveness on my sweet backroad night commute (I work shifts), but I also wish I could put them inside the fog housings to clean up the look.

I still have my old valance, and I've been thinking about modifying it for a cleaner looking driving light/airflow setup. For now, the Hellas are serving me (and the night critters) well.

Last edited by ZOA NOM; 01-13-2006 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-13-2006, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: