Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Disappointed in Turbo Tie Rods

My tie rods were not old but one of them could not be adjusted when we aligned the front end. SInce I had to replace anyway, I decided to go with the turbo tie rods. I can't even tell there is a difference in steering with the turbo's on. My front end though can now be aligned. I guess that, where people have found a big difference is when their tie rods are worn with a lot of play in them. My old ones did not have much play.
This is an upgrade only if your current tie rods are worn out. IMHO.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Let me be the third voice in the wilderness. If your regular tie rods are good you really don't need to be spending money on the turbos.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 11-03-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ahh.... yep .... but .....

Even if your original tie-rods with the rubber ends are in good shape...a "sensitive" driver will notice that ever-so-small improvement in the initial "turn-in"....

but agreed...it's pretty small if the OEM stuff is in good shape.....

- Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 11-04-2005 at 08:30 AM..
Old 11-03-2005, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Often the changes are cummulative. A tie rod change is usually accompanied by bushings and shocks etc AND an alignment. I think when we run original untouched 20year+ running gear it's all out a long way from spec.

After your alignment you will notice the difference. But probably not significantly so if you swaped to new stock tie rods with the associated changes......

Simon
Old 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Original Owner

Turbo tie rods when your originals are not shot is a "feel good' update.....and CHEAP!

Gives the novice DIYer a real nice "feel good" and gets them ready for valve adjustments and more!!!

As for seat of the pants improvement....its a myth...... except for the smallest percent of drivers.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FrayAdjacent911
Well, if your stock tie rods were in pretty good shape (solid, even though you couldn't adjust one side), then the turbo rods might not make much of a change.

They won't fix what's not already broken.

69 911T Targa - "Stinky"
2001 Boxster "Stahlgewehr"
Old 11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Novice?
Just kidding.
I am taking it to Carolina Motorsports track Friday a week and see if there is a noticeable difference.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I also believe the tire sidewall has something to do with it. Turbo tie-rods on a car w/45 series tires will feel different than a car w/60 series tires.

-W
Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Agree with all of the above. Absent other suspension changes, very minor. But throw in short sidewalls, particularly very stiff ones, stiffer t bars, free bushings, and stiffer shocks and there ya go.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

They're still a benefit even if you can't "feel" it. They eliminate toe-change from the flex of the rubber bushings, because the Turbo versions have no rubber bushings.

You can run less static toe-in with Turbo tie-rods versus stock, because road forces will not cause them to toe-out while driving.
R-Gruppe member #382

'69 911E coupe' 2.7E MFI (retired 911-Spec racer)
'72 911T Targa
2004 GT3
Old 11-03-2005, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Curious thread. Took as gospel the need for turbo install after so many years. Have an 87 coupe (74 K) that does need shocks which will be replaced with Bilstein sports. Was going to do both installs at the same time but will see after damper install. Have factory recommended rubber sizes.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

I felt no difference, too, but Tyson's come up with an evil enough justification to install them.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

For street driving I wouldn't bother with them but for the track they make a noticable difference. If you just turn the wheel back and forth 10 degrees with the car parked you can really feel the difference. No rubber "sponge" feeling.

-Andy
Old 11-03-2005, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal911SC
I also noticed no difference in switching out good condition regular tie rods to Turbos.

But I think you and I are the only ones that have ever felt that way in the history of Porschedom!
Add my voice as well...kind of hard to tell though, since I had a lot of other suspension stuff done at the same time...but strictly steering input? Not much, if any, difference that I could tell.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

And I thought I was the only one.
When I bought my car, the PPI said the tie rods should be replaced. I think it was the first thing I had done. My mechanic at the time, said after he replaced the tie rods, they probably had another year on them.
But I could never tell any difference, I only drive on the street.
They do look alot better, I just never get anyone under the car to see them.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Thanks for the honesty guys.

I was assuming it was a 'necessary' job. It turns into a $250 CDN job for those of us across the border.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
durn for'ner

You guys !!%¤#

I have ordered and expect my ttr´s to arrive next week. Like a kid, looking forward to the tight steering feeling of a go cart (new Bilstein already).

Now I have to read there will be no noticeable change - I am afraid my stock are likely in good shape for their age.

Oh, well it was on my DIY list to get to know my car anyway. The satisfaction after completing previous DIY projects was way more important than the actual need for doing it.

Carrera '85
Old 11-04-2005, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Livi - My observation exactly. I'm still going to place my order. As a beginner DIY'r I'll do anything to my car if it's within my capability and not to expensive. Also going to put a Poly-graphite upper strut mount kit and new belly pan on as well.
GruppeB #2119

Volvo V70SE-Wife mobile
Nissan Frontier-Home Depot mobile
Old 11-04-2005, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I have a 911SC with SO3 16 inch tires so it has 55's on the front and 50's on the back. I also have 22m sway bars front and back with Bilstien sport shocks front and back. Stick torsion bars. All bushings have been replaced.
I will find out a week from today if it makes a difference on the track.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Schmidt
You can run less static toe-in with Turbo tie-rods versus stock, because road forces will not cause them to toe-out while driving. [/B]
What toe-in do you recommend with stock vs. turbo tie rods?
That is for a street/auto-x car, with 21/27 t-bars.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: