Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I think I will do as I originally planed, remove the entire oil lines and front trombone cooler.

Its only 3-4 bolts more (my rocker covers av already off) and then I have all the room I ever need.
That way I can do some bonus work, like fixing the dings in the lines from some jacking incident (PO).

Are the oil lines made off brass? Could I get them real clean in some easy way, that will not harm them?

924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 12-05-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
retired, mostly

Last year I bought an oil line like that one that was used, but appeared to be nearly new. It might have been in service a few months at the most from the appearance. Unfortunately it did not fit my SC. I ended up buying the correct one from pelican and installing it $$$$.

The one I did not use looks very much like the one in your pictures.
I will take a better look at it tonight, if it will fit your car I will give you one heck of a deal on it.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
I will take a better look at it tonight, if it will fit your car I will give you one heck of a deal on it.
That sounds sweet, but do you ship to Europe
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Alright, update.
I have now replaced both oil lines going to the thermostat.

Does anyone know if there are any torque values for the oil lines to t-stat?
I figure that a little snug would be OK.
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 03-05-2006, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to shrouded Send a message via AIM to shrouded
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsjmc
I,ve yet to strip out the threads on the stat. and have removed many. Use 2 large wrenches. An adjustable to brace the thermostat and another to turn the line nut. Sometimes you need to remove the other line at the stat first for clearance.Penetrating oil and heat are good to have.Once it breaks loose turn back and forth a couple of times to clear the threads. The line can be replaced new for under $100 or you can cut out the hose section and have another crimped in .(Almost as costly about $50). It is common for that hose to bleed a little at the crimp .
I am looking at doing the same work, as my 82 SC is now leaking from the point where the rubber is attached to the metal. I am leaning toward the replacement part method (it seems like a more "correct" fix), but I'm not happy about taking a chance of harming the thermostat, so I'm curious about the repair option.

I haven't dealt with hoses like this before. If I am using the yellow pages (or google), what kind of local shop should I look for to do the "crimped in" method? When I call them to discuss it/get an estimate, what do I tell them I need? Is there specific terminology that will tell them what kind joint that is in the middle?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Pull the line and take it to a Diesel Truck repair shop. They make hydraulic lines and they can use your old fittings and replace the hose.....lots cheaper than buying new.

Ask Ingo about his bug killing experiment when he rubbed a hole in his oil line and we AAA towed his butt back to town......

Got ya back for the Supertrapp crack..%^B

Last edited by Joe Bob; 03-06-2006 at 07:10 PM..
Old 03-06-2006, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 03-06-2006, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Update:
I was a little to quick to call out that I replaced all lines with new ones.
I fitted new lines but didn't connect the hose end to the engine hard-line until recently.

IT'S TOO SHORT!!!

The hard-line part is exactly as the old oil line but the flexible hose are about 20+mm (almost an inch) shorter on the new line.

Has anyone heard of this??

BTW: I didn't get it from Pelican but from a local company called "Ferdinand" here in Sweden.
The part is from the OEM supplier to Porsche and Ferdinand has confirmed that its not a manufacturing error, all lines are the same...
924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 03-29-2006, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Wow, maybe I should cancel my order with Ferdinand then
Magnus, try contacting K3 in Stockholm and have a word with them? They might be able to help you out. Really friendly and helpful people, who like their P-cars
Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Pål: Its probably just my car....
I just left the line at a hydralics shop asking them to fit a longer hose.
If you get your old line off in one piece do the same.

924 -79 rat roddy...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: