Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Question Green wire SC-ignition question

I believe in spare parts and would like to get the part/adapter that people use when experiencing problems with the green wire going from distributor to the Bosch CDI module.

What is this thingy and what is involved to install it?

Many thanks.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think this is your part. Available from our host for $27.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/imgdsply.cgi?pn=93060290701-M14
Old 12-15-2005, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep, that's it. And you'll need one of those square bosch "fuel injector" connectors to install on the green wire.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, guys, I looked at the part, and some pictures.
So, the new part plugs in to the distributor, then it has a standard plug (Like the one on the WUR or AAR) on the other end, fine.
How do you connect this "Fuel injector plug" to the old green wire in the harness loom?
The old green wire has an inner small wire, and a shielded cover like a coax cable. They cannot be mixed up going to the module!
Help!
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Gunter,

JW did a thread on this and I looked but could not find it. I know I bought a new FI connector and wired it in so that it was a simple plug in. Here are a couple of pics one is of my rebuilt unit and another of a stolen pic off the board

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-16-2005, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure why this wire would need to be a coax and I'm pretty sure switching wires makes no difference.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

it does make a difference. the spark would have to jump sideways across a wider gap from rotor to cap terminal, instead of straight across at the closest point. here's the old thread.
wierd 78 SC distributor problem.

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 12-16-2005 at 08:35 AM..
Old 12-16-2005, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Thanks everyone.
Super: Loren will come down on you.

JW: I'll make sure not to mix up (switch) the wires.

mb911: Great pictures and a clean job but, when there is a 6-pin connector to the CDI module?
Do you peel back the green outer coating on the old wire and crimp the outer coax-braiding to one pin of the FI connector, and the inner wire to the other pin?

Or, do you run a complete new wire from the FI connector up to the 6-pin plug, find the right pins and somehow connect the new wire to the appropriate pins?

This issue might be good for a tech article.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I ran a new one but I use MSD ignition . I would run new wire and coax if possible and split it and use a new fuel injector connector. Before I did this I split the coax(oem green wire) and used the outer sheild in one connector pin and the used the other inner wire in the other connector pin. It worked but I felt that the whole wire needed to be replace but it should be mentioned when I bought my engine the 6 pin connector had been cut off along with most of the wiring harness so I replaced most of the connectors my way(very clean with the exception of the EFI wiring as seen in this pic

With that good luck and happy holidays

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-16-2005, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"Do you peel back the green outer coating on the old wire and crimp the outer coax-braiding to one pin of the FI connector, and the inner wire to the other pin?"

you got it.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

"the spark would have to jump sideways across a wider gap from rotor to cap terminal, instead of straight across at the closest point." - johnwalker -

Not true! It's correct to state that the polarity is critical, but not for that reason.
With the polarity reversed, the CDI unit is triggered at the wrong time causing
an initially retarded spark advance. This retarded spark then changes with
RPM and thus affects the overall desired advance curve.
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Not true! It's correct to state that the polarity is critical, but not for that reason. With the polarity reversed, the CDI unit is triggered at the wrong time causing an initially retarded spark advance. This retarded spark then changes with RPM and thus affects the overall desired advance curve. [/B]
Loren is correct,..I see a 10-12 degree retard with my timing light when the polarity gets reversed.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

and hence, the spark is delivered after the rotor has passed the cap terminal.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting stuff!
mb911: Wow! That sure is different.
Loren: How about doing a short Tech Article on this and submitting it to the archive?
Especially since the polarity is important when doing the rewiring.
JW: Is it true that the inductive trigger in the distributor can be installed the wrong way? I seem to recall one of your posts on this.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one.

On the engine side connector that goes to the CD box, I have the scope hooked up positive to green wire, negative to "black" wire which I assumed was the (-) shield. But I don't know and this is why I'm asking. This is an older 930 harness before they went to the replacable "green wire".

Is this the waveform I should see (positive scope lead to green wire above)?

I made up a connector for the MSD box to attach to the factory harness with this assumption. The old wiring harness may have had these reversed and I'm making no assumptions that the pins wiring on the factory connector hasn't been messed with.

-Chris
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Check here www.systemsc.com/waveforms.htm under "Reference/Pickup Signal".
Automotive Electronics

'88 911 3.2
'04 GSXR1000
'01 Ducati 996
'03 BMW BCR - Gone
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks Loren. Looks like I have the correct wiring/signal.
-Chris
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Since this thread is over 10 years old, I wonder if by now some one has written a DIY regarding making an "extension" cord to work w/ 930.602.907.01 and hooking it up to the plug?

Thanks

Richard
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Distributor Green wire loose and frayed
Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thanks!

Richard
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: