Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Thumbs up Rewiring to have the driving lights come on with the ignition.

Well, I thought it was time for me to give something back to this wonderful community

Here in Scandinavia it is compulsory to have the driving lights on when driving the car during the day. As my car was originally from Germany (and to old) this was not an included feature on the car, and I was really starting to get irritated with the old problem of leaving my lights on when I got out of the car - resulting in a dead battery when I returned

So, I decided to change some of the wiring on the car to have the driving and rear lights come on when the ignition is turned on, and retaining all the other existing functions of the lights as is (like the parking lights etc). Due to the way that the lights are wired up on the car, with the two front lights connected to separate fusses and the parking lights running through the same circuit, it is necessary to treat it as a left and right hand circuit and not as one when the wiring is done - this part I figured out after putting a jumper between the left and right fuse, only to find that the parking light function would turn on all the lights instead of just the required side, not very useful...).

Here is the resulting diagram for how I wired it all up.

For now, all I did was use a dual relay (one unit containing two relays) and a base that I have taped up, to ensure it all works. I have to do some more wiring work during the summer (I want to do the recommended upgrade to relay the headlights from the switch), so will at that point look at doing a more elegant solution. But once I get my camera back from my brother I will take some pictures to help anyone else wanting to do the same thing.

Last edited by Kroggers; 01-11-2006 at 05:43 AM..
Old 01-11-2006, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Thanks for the info, Pål.

I was thinking about wiring the 'extra' bulb as a daytime running light when I do my H4 upgrade in the spring. You've given me some ideas.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

so you're now powering the new relays from the X terminal on the ignition switch ?
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
No, I did not want to start cutting in to the existing wires or scramble under the dashboard... This way I have a new hot feed for the relays directly from the battery with a new in-line fuse. Additionally, I actually collected the switched live from the stereo fuse on the fuse board. This way it is all installed without having cut or changed any of the existing electrics, and can be easily removed in the future should I want to.

Thank you Ian, please let me know if you make any updates or improvements to my solution as I will be making it more permanent in the Summer, and would be interested to know if there is a better solution to the one I have now. The only caveat that I have is that I want it to be a solution that can be removed in the future if I want to, without having to reconnect a lot of cut wires etc.

The current picture in my avatar is when I was doing this job

Last edited by Kroggers; 01-11-2006 at 06:40 AM..
Old 01-11-2006, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kroggers
new hot feed for the relays directly from the battery

, I actually collected the switched live from the stereo fuse on the fuse board. This way it is all installed without having cut or changed any of the existing electrics, and can be easily removed in the future should I want to.

Me bad. I should have worded it as switched from the X terminal instead of powered from the X terminal. Which you did if the radio is still connected to the X terminal. The point being is that you don't want the lights on when starting the engine.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-11-2006, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
OK, in that way then yes, it is switched from the X terminal.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: