Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What oil?

What oil is everyone running in there 3.2. The prices scare me.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I hate to say this..but the subject has been beaten literally to death....with some strong opinions and data presented. You *really* need to do a search on this subject.

Try "oil bible"...Wil Ferch...Lubemaster77... as starting-point key search words.

- Wil
Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Mobil 1 0w40. I am probably in minority with fully synth at that grade. But its cold in Sweden.

Carrera '85
Old 01-11-2006, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The former threads seem to point to Mobil One 15W-50 for synth or Kendall GT 20W50 for dino...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Castrol 10W-30 in cool weather and 10w-40 in warm weather. There are surely a zillion opinions on specific oil brands in this forum, but little empirical data to back up performance, lest ye want to split hairs. Refer to the owner's manual for the correct viscosity/temperature and be sure the oil level is correct and the oil is warmed up before gettin' on it.

85 Carrera
64 Honda Dream - for sale
71 Hodaka Super Rat - keeper
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

defcon65:

Your statements miss the point entirely.... I'm trying to get us out of the mold of "zillions of opinions", etc...

correct...lot's of emotion and religious attachment to the recommendations from people within this board...that's why I posted the reference link to the "oil bible"...the best single-stop info source ( IMHO) I've found showing real data and objective text. I'm willing to listen to others if they found something better....

here--> http://volkswagen.msk.ru/vw_doc/the_motor_oil_bible.pdf

Caution...requires a big cup of coffee and some investment of your time to get the most out of it. At least be aware of the ranking chart (toward the end ) within weight grade, and how it was done. Also, look up the text near the beginning to understand the header terms ( NOACK, HT/HS, TBN, etc..)

-Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 01-11-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 01-11-2006, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now in 993 land ...

Garage
20W50 Castrol

George
Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Aigel...p. 174-176 of the Oil bible report...

....various types of Castrol 20W-50 shown....all in the "middle-to-bottom" of the rankings list....according to the various specifications.

That's my point...we want to get away from subjective feelings....and show objective numerical specifications...and when we do, it's still ignored and/or dismissed....

On this basis...Castrol doesn't come away looking so good, so why the recommendation ???

- Wil
Old 01-12-2006, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Wil Ferch
On this basis...Castrol doesn't come away looking so good, so why the recommendation ???
I'll take this opportunity to put in my yearly two pfennig on Castrol. Bruce Anderson doesn't like it for reasons he seems to be very comfortable with (he and I talked about this at length once) and it resulted in abnormally low oil pressure in my old 2.7.

I wouldn't use Castrol. It *might* be OK, but there are lots of better alternatives out there.

Mike
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by IROC
I'll take this opportunity to put in my yearly two pfennig on Castrol. Bruce Anderson doesn't like it for reasons he seems to be very comfortable with (he and I talked about this at length once) and it resulted in abnormally low oil pressure in my old 2.7.

I wouldn't use Castrol. It *might* be OK, but there are lots of better alternatives out there.

Mike
My local shop uses Castrol 20w50 and recommends it. I've read enough since I got my SC in June '05 that I would prefer to use Kendall but I cannot find it here. I have looked EVERYWHERE, every variety of auto parts stores and multiple locations of the same store. Nada.....

Can Kendall be ordered via mail or online ? If so, is it worth what I imagine would be insane shipping charges ?

So if not Kendall, then what ? Is Castrol that bad ? I thought most any 'recognized brand' dino oil will be fine as long as you stick to changing between 2500 and 3000 miles ?

http://www.hakkinen.com/spain99-mh1st-easy.mp3
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

For daily use street, occasional DE, use Rotella 15w40 or Chevron Delo 15w40...

if you want a synthetic use M1 0w40 or 5w40

20w50 will not give lower wear numbers, and may indeed cause the oil temp to be higher.

Both have tested extremely well in my 3.2 Carrera.

Change it once a season and your still many miles ahead of schedule. (unless you drive 15,000 per year!! i wish i could!)
1991 964 euro cup (Larbre #28- race
1987 carrera 3.2-street/de car
1962 Austin Healey 3000
Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I submit that any *one* of us can't really say a certain oil is "good", unless we simply know there were no catastrophic consequences.

We don't ( can't) do side-by-side case studies unless we have a fleet of indentical cars... so we end up with anecdotal comments.

What to use??? ....at least *look* at the chart and the rankings! As I said, Castrol is middle-of-the road within the 20W-50 list with no particular redeeming qualities. There are at least a dozen oils shown on the list that rank higher....

Why is this info being avoided ??? If you look and don't trust... or don't want to believe it...that's one thing...but I sense that we're not even giving this resource the time of day.

- Wil
Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mobil 1 here....the price at Walmart will scare you only half to death.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

In the real world there are very,very few oil related engine failures these days....vitually all of the oils available at Autozone, Walmart,etc. will provide adequate protection. The additive packages and the quality of oil has improved tremendously over the past 10 years. Most people change their oil too frequently, the old "cheap insurance" theory. Use a good quality oil, with the correct viscosity for your climate and driving habits. Change it once a year or 12-15,000 miles on a 911...your engine will be the last thing to give you a problem on a 20 plus year old car.
1962 Austin Healey 3000
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Do yourself a favor..... compare the specs of Mobil 1 15W-50 with Shell Rotella- T Synthetic 5W-40....

for our air-cooled cars, check things like HT/HS ( High temp/High Shear) as well as Flash Point ( FP) characteristics....

For me...being a summer car...I don't care much for low temp pour point and such...I can discount or ignore those specs. That's the beauty of these charts. OTOH, for my daily driver that gets used year 'round, and *may* go beyond the recommended shedule of oil changes.... maybe cold pour point, as well as TBN numbers become more important....

If 'ya learn the lingo and the specs....we can start making informed decisions.

Here's another tidbit.... recall that Porsche didn't trust multi-grade oils as recently as the late 70's...and that there are heavy weight single weight mineral oils ( 40 or 50 weight) that *could* be used for summer-only 911 use. Surprise !.... some of these mineral oils have 50-80 degrees BETTER high temp characterisitcs than Mobil 1 synthetic !!

...and so it goes.....

- Wil
Old 01-12-2006, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Parts is parts; oil is oil. It's the viscosity of (and additives to) the grey matter behind the wheel that's going to ruin an engine or cause it to wear faster.

Now, how many pixies can dance on the head of a pin?

85 Carrera
64 Honda Dream - for sale
71 Hodaka Super Rat - keeper
Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Oh God here we go!

At the risk of sounding flippant....

Older engine dino...newer engine synthetic. Other than that pick your favorite brand and weight for season.
03' KTM 450sx
05' S2000 (daughters)

Last edited by emcdan; 01-12-2006 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
With all the turbo projects brewing here on the board I think Will's advice is very sound. I will revisit as well. Just takes a couple slaps in the face.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

check out "used oil analysis" section at www.bobistheoilguy.com

do a search for "doug hillary"... has posted a number of Porsche oil tests....

real world results and some good info.
1962 Austin Healey 3000
Old 01-12-2006, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I guess I'm simply surprised that for all other aspects of our cars....we ask for (or demand) objective evidence or specs..... but oils becomes...and *stays*...a matter of *feelings*...no matter what better information becomes available.

I guess then that there are two groups here...those who won't budge from long standing beliefs ( oil-is-oil....parts is parts)....and those who search out new information and use it .....

You can lead a horse to water, but.....

- Wil
Old 01-12-2006, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: