Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bosch plug wire sets

With all the talk about Beru, Magnacor, Clewett Engineering, etc... wire sets...

What about the Bosch replacement sets found at normal parts stores like Advance Auto, and such... for a 911 ?

Any personal experiences??
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I went with OEM BERU. I have yet to install them. Heard the Bosch might not be great for this, although I respect the company and their products.
-- 2005 Toyota Sienna (hers)
-- 1989 911 Carrera Cabriolet -SOLD
Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm familiar with Beru... I have them as OEM stock....

there are moisture sensitivity issues with Beru end conections. I'm looking for Bosch experiences....

- Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 01-19-2006 at 10:42 AM..
Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
When I bought my SC the (original) wires looked pretty rough, I bought a set of Bosch's (about 3 years ago); installed them and the car, immediately, ran like crap. Removed the Bosch's, re-installed the old Beru's and it ran fine. Returned the Bosch's to the local FLAPS and bought a set of Beru's from our host (the pre-CIS, non-sheathed version). The Beru's I bought were slightly more expensive than the Bosch, but fit better and, more importantly, the car runs beautifully.

Of course, YMMV.

Cordially,

Jerry M
'78 SC
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered abUser

Garage
I recently got a terrific deal on a Bosch dishwasher. They must be getting plenty diversified....

Sorry, no exp on Bosch plug wires. Just a bump.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just put a new set of Bosch wires on my Carrera a few weeks back. They were MUCH less expensive than the Berus, and seem to work fine. Interestingly, the plug ends on the wires are Beru. They seem high quality, so I'm not sure what the extra money for the Berus buys you. I'd give them a thumbs up,

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 01-19-2006, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up for the Bosch wires from me too. 2 years and no problems.
Picked them up from Autozone (they had to order them, took 2-3 days I think)

'87 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupe
Old 01-19-2006, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
2 thumbs up for Beru, 20 years and still going strong too
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Whatever you do, stay away from Kingsborne el cheapo wire sets. Actually, they weren't that cheap at $120 and they absolutely suck. The fit is horrible and the connectors were corroded when I took them out of the bag. I never could get two of them to stay on the plug. I'm trying to get a refund.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I wonder if the weather seal from the wires to the "Beru" connectors are better than the "all Beru" wire sets ???

Did these look / appear / well sealed ???

- Wil
Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just purchased some clewetts. They seem fine. Interestingly the boots had Beru on them.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

In the spring I put in Bosch, fit great, nice and snug, replaced the oem with the Bosch (they were 10 yrs old) and the car runs great. No issues for almost a year! Considering the dizzy is mabe by Bosch and also the rotor can't go wrong. My 0.02...
'00 328i
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm not saying that "Bosch" ...as a "name" ...is something to worry about.

However, today...Bosch is made in every corner of the world....in fact for my Toyota Corrolla repairs, Bosch was the "cheap" ( well...lower cost, anyway) alternative to OEM NGK and other pieces ( spark plug wires, caps, rotors, ). Even went with Conti toothed cam drive belts for the Corolla daily driver.

So.... that means testimonials mean more than "Bosch" name nowadays....unfortunately.

- Wil
Old 01-19-2006, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I put Bosch wires on the Range Rover, and within two months they were arcing and missing.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
I have Bosch wires that are almost 2 yrs old. Work great.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hard to beat OEM Chrysler ignition wires for extreme wet performance.

Chrysler wires even come numbered.

Other than the color, they appear very similar to Clewetts.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 01-20-2006 at 08:15 AM..
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Wider is Better

Garage
I put a set of Bosch wires on a 78 SC years ago. Threaded the Bosch wires through the shielding, did not like the Bosch connectors so I unscrewed the old Beru connectors, trimmed the Bosch wires to length (they were kind of long) and screwed the Beru connectors into the ends. That car ran great for the remaining 3 years I owned it.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

Hey stlrj, which Chrysler would your plug wires be originally for? And what type of distributor connections... is your car an '84?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

93-97 LHS, Concorde, Intrepid.

I reused the OEM Beru distributor cap boots by slipping them over the Chrysler ends on my 86 3.2 engine.

Plug ends were a little long too, so I had to cut them to the same length as the Beru connectors.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I would buy oem Beru ends and a spool of Accel silicon jacketed, ss core wire. Make up a set using whatever length and routing pleases you the most
Old 01-20-2006, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: