Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

85 Carrera Targa, Babyseat??

I know that this is not the most manly of posts in this forum but I need some help. I am considering selling one of my vehicles and moving my 85 Carrera into DD status. Only problem is that I need to take my daughter to school 3 days a week. My wife picks her up. She is 4 1/2 so maybe she can move to booster seat, I haven't looked into that or even know if she is old enough.

Any dad's here that transport the kids in their older 911's? I love the car and can' t give it up. If I have to give one up it will be the truck that has the car payment. The 911 is paid for.

This will really help in my debate with my wife.

Thanks,
William
Old 02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

I have a baby car seat installed in my 911. You can do it in 2 ways.

My 88 Carrera came with 3 point rear belts. This is an advantage as you can secure the seat using the belt. You will notice that the seat tilts fwd a little but you can use the tether anchor to reduce that (you need to be creative to find a good place on your Targa).

The second solution is the one I prefer.... Basically unbolt the seat belt gear. Get 3 racing hooks, the one used to secure racing harnesses. Screw 2 of the hooks tightly (use some blue loctite to make sure they won't move) in the holes left by the seat belts bolts.
Now you can attach the LATCH clips to the hooks.

For the tether anchor at the top use the location of the original seat belt roll up box (it is skewed to the outside but it is just fine as it is only used to prevent too much tilting of the baby seat). Screw the 3rd hook in there and voila'.

Make sure you select a baby seat whit a narrow base. I find mine at Target.

My wife has supervised the installation and given her approval. The LATCH installation is great because it takes 30 seconds to get the baby seat out for when I go to the track.

Good luck.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 02-02-2006, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

my 4 1/2 years old girl fits in the front seat with the booster seat. She loves it,
Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My 4.5 year old fit fine in the back, no booster, with 3 point belts. Now I know that is not what the Illinios State Police say is legal but I felt comfortable with that on short non-highway trips. I spent alot of $$ buying the seat that was supposed to fit back there (searched this board) but the bottom line is that at about 4, the seats in the back are just their size.

jeff
......and a minivan for the crew
Old 02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ditto on the front seat with full or booster, whichever fits the child better, for the car . This is okay assuming your 85 is sans air bag. My girl uses the booster and I feel better having her in the front
Bob
Old 02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I haven't learned how to post a link to a thread but this will help.

Rear three point seatbelt retro fit possible in 78-83 SC?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have an '88 and used Matteo's first option for both of my boys. I dropped them off at pre-school every day and while the back seats were the right size for them, as an every day thing, I felt better finding a seat. Had to be careful finding one that was narrow enough in the back. It is was well worth the effort and allowed me to keep the car as a daily driver.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

yeah, my 85 doesn't have an airbag so I could do the front. Is that safe though, to put them in front? For some reason I was under the impression it wasn't safe to sit up front if you were under a certain age.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

my thread "not another kids seat in a carrera" may or may not be useful for you.
i'm finding myself in need of a new set up as my son is now getting too big for my current set up

i'm going to go w/3 pt belts or an harness system for them in the back. i think the nhtsa website recommends kids in the rear until they're like 60 or lbs
short shifter
ss brake lines
Old 02-03-2006, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: