Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steering Wheel Diameter Size

Hello,
I am looking at changing out my stock steering wheel for a Momo this spring and just had a question on diameter size?

I have seen wheels as small as 280mm (team) and some at 320mm and 350mm...I have only driven with my stock wheel are these much smaller? I mainly use the car for fun weekend drives and the occasional Drivers Ed. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
2003 BMW 325i ex got in divorce
1969 912 Coupe (sold)

PCA Member
Old 02-04-2006, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stormmaster Send a message via Yahoo to stormmaster
I have a 350mm Momo Prototipo in mine.....love it....I think anything smaller looks funny in a 911....but it is all personal choice....
74 914
Old 02-04-2006, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a Grant 13 inch diameter you can have. I tried it but it was too small. I believe that equals about 300mm. No hub for it, though.
I have a 350 mm and it works just right. My factory 3 spoke was cracked by the fata$$ PO of my car.

Wayne
Old 02-04-2006, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

350mm works for me,but thats just my opinion.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Both of my Porsches have a 350mm Momo. Perfect.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The stock 4 spoker used in 85+...for reference... is 380 mm.

It is a shame that this size is not offered commonly in the Momo or Sparco aftermarket line. It would give a better shot at reading the guages without twisting them around...and it affords a better degree of leverage and operational finesse... IMHO....

The Grant 1770 wheel...is a near knock-off of the Momo 07...but doesn't cost much...therefore most of the Porsche crowd ignores it...but its a fine piece. Available in various sizes up to 380mm. Do a search on Grant and Warviking and Ferch....as an example.

Grant Wheels

-Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 02-04-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 02-04-2006, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smaller Steering Wheels with Wide front tires on older porsches make city driving a real Pain.

I had a 350mm and needed to go to a 380...i also run 225s on the front.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

350mm is the most common size.

Wil-I would guess the Grant Wheel is not offset like the stock wheel, so the taller guys lose legroom, some gauge visibility and have the same diameter. I would just stick with stock in that case.

Two benefits of the smaller wheel for me are that you can leave your hands at 9 and 3, turn the wheel to 180 degrees and never have to move your hands. I couldn't do that with the stock wheel, I was hitting my knees.

Then, add a spacer behind the wheel. You'll have more leverage to turn those 225's.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Green Skull 006

Ergonomically I think that it's hard to fault the stock Carrera 4 stalk wheel. I have one with the factory spacer and I can see all of the gauges with the exception of the clock from 6 till about 11, I can live with guessing the time. The stock wheel is also very comfortable on long drives, as you can move to at least four different comfortable hand positions, like good drop handlebars on a road bike it helps to keep you fresh being able to move your hands around.

That said, I would like a nicer, more traditional looking ( mod 7, prototipo ) wheel, but I'm not willing at this point to give up the factory wheel which does everything well but looks dated. If I could get the same hand position and gauge visability I would make the switch, but it seems to me that the adapter would have to be eccentric (like the stock wheel) to move the wheel up enough to see the gauges. Does MOMO make an eccentric adapter? A 350mm wheel might work if it had a spacer and the offset adapter. Anyone have this setup?
"It makes me sad. Our cars were meant to be driven, not polished" - Ferry Porsche while surveying a PCA Parade concours field.

Last edited by Jim Garfield; 02-05-2006 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Todd:
Correct...the Grant is mounted concentrically...not eccentrically like factory. Also correct..it would be a good deal to add a minimalistic spacer that mounts the wheel in an offset position...that way you'd have the benefits of a three spoke Momo 07 AND the benefits of a stock wheel.

Noting that Grant offers adaptors to allow Momo and Sparco fitment..maybe the AJ USA or Momo eccentric spacer can be used ?? See Greg Gulik's post here, with pics---> http://www.gagme.com/greg/911/hacks/930swheel.php

Wil

Last edited by Wil Ferch; 02-05-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: