Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to 2002M3Drew
Anyone running the engine fan block off plate?

This is supposed to better direct the air from the engine fan over the block, increasing the cooling capacity. Anyone try this part or similar? Does Pelican sell something like this?

http://www.************************/productpage.aspx?pid=101030&name=Block+Off+Plate
1992 Carrera C2 Coupe
2006 Cayenne S
Old 02-22-2006, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
pelican sells em
i have one

seems to work really well, don't have an front oil cooler on mine
and my engine definately doesn't run hot
haven't got to much miles on my rebuild, but after a test run , if i had it idling in hot weather last summer, the temp didn't go beyond the middle of the gauge...

must admit , engine was running rich at the time, so that may not be the best example...need more driving to make sure
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
I've seen people use spray paint can caps.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BK911
I've seen people use spray paint can caps.
This part is kind of like a flat triangle-shaped piece that bolts to either the fan housing or the top of the motor to direct air. How can a spray paint can cap be used in the same way?
1992 Carrera C2 Coupe
2006 Cayenne S
Old 02-22-2006, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
no more heat to the cabin with that in place, if you were not already aware... the hose fitting that exits the original piece can be covered with a paint lid.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just capped mine off--may not direct air as well as fiberglass peice,
i still get heat from exchangers-- enough for here in fl.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Autodidactic user

Quote:
Originally posted by k911sc
the hose fitting that exits the original piece can be covered with a paint lid.
Any chance that you can post a picture so that I can see what you are describing?

1973 911E Targa (MFI)
Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

PELICANPARTS HAS ONE, LOOK UP AIR BLOCK OFF PLATE,
& CLICK PHOTO
Old 02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Autodidactic user

Thanks Spike but I was talking about a picture of the fix that you made or that Toby made ("the hose fitting that exits the original piece can be covered with a paint lid"), not the block off plate.

1973 911E Targa (MFI)
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

sorry dave--on my 77S the rt. side is blocked off from factory,
air to aux blower is fed from lft. side of fan, i cut down & capped off
the hose w/ blank i made & silacone---but a plastic spray paint top
would probably work
Old 02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I don't mean to bad-mouth the products from our gracious host but I just received that part and it is junk. It doesn't fit properly and I'll have to do some fiberglass work to it.

If you have any talent with fiberglass you can make one that'll fit better and not drop $90.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

THANKS FOR THAT ADVICE--- I ALMOST BOUGHT ONE
Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Update...

I got the piece to fit without any fiberglass work BUT it isn't a good fit. I had to drill 2 of the screw holes within 1/4" of the edge leaving little support and part of the brittle finish chipped off. With the engine running there are several air leaks around the edges.

I stand by my original assessment. I hope PP finds another vendor for this piece.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
You might want to think about heat

Although this is a good thing in some cases, I have found down here in florida that the air from the fan running across the pipes actually keeps the heat reduced and keeps your heads cooler.
I blocked mine off and with the SSI type heat exchangers and found the engine ran hotter. I didnt believe it until a Porsche mechanic told me the germans did this for a reason.. Now there are a multitude of other steps to keep the car cool and bring down the temp if that is your main intention. IF you have the cooling fan in the back you can feed that line for the exhaust cooling and block off the main fan. Like I said I wanted to kill the number one killer of motors and I found this to have a reversing effect. Sounds like a good idea but I just wanted you to hear what I found.
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 02-27-2006, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Re: You might want to think about heat

Quote:
Originally posted by DohertyCM
Although this is a good thing in some cases, I have found down here in florida that the air from the fan running across the pipes actually keeps the heat reduced and keeps your heads cooler.
I blocked mine off and with the SSI type heat exchangers and found the engine ran hotter. I didnt believe it until a Porsche mechanic told me the germans did this for a reason.. Now there are a multitude of other steps to keep the car cool and bring down the temp if that is your main intention. IF you have the cooling fan in the back you can feed that line for the exhaust cooling and block off the main fan. Like I said I wanted to kill the number one killer of motors and I found this to have a reversing effect. Sounds like a good idea but I just wanted you to hear what I found.
I can honestly believe what your mechanic said. A lot of poorly conceived mods for all kinds of cars and motorcycles (and I'm sure other things) are out there, with people thinking they can out-engineer the engineers. Maybe on an older design like this, technology catches up and advancements are found....but those Germans are brilliant engineers, and I have to think that most of what is there from the start is there for a reason!
1992 Carrera C2 Coupe
2006 Cayenne S
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Re: You might want to think about heat

Quote:
Originally posted by DohertyCM

i don't get that

any air going through the HE's , is air that isn't going over the heads and cyllinders...

beeing that the HE's bolt on to the heads, under then for that matter, and the air is blowing down on the HE's or headers, i don't see how any exhaust heat can go up , since it's blowing down from the heads in the first place

call me thick but i just don't get it

block off plate = more air over your heads
block off plate or not , heat can't transfer through air if the wind is coming from the direction it's supposed to transfer too

for all intent and purpose, if HE's are meant to add cooling to the heads, then why doesn't the 917 sport them?

also , block off plates, are they a simple after market mod?? i do remember seeing them on the Porsche Werks racing cars...RSR's if i'm not mistaken

Last edited by svandamme; 03-01-2006 at 07:44 AM..
Old 03-01-2006, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Am I missing something here? I think the original part that I posted about is simply an air dam to better direct the air generated by the engine fan to over the engine block. I didn't see any mention of the air to the HEs being affected. Is the Pelican part different in design/function?
1992 Carrera C2 Coupe
2006 Cayenne S
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 2002M3Drew
Am I missing something here? I think the original part that I posted about is simply an air dam to better direct the air generated by the engine fan to over the engine block. I didn't see any mention of the air to the HEs being affected. Is the Pelican part different in design/function?

this is a blockoff plate :

you install one on each side, gutt the heating tubes to the HE's (usually go to headers and no HE's then ) , no more heat in the cabin, more air over the heads, more cooling, less luxury...

and no way can these puppies generate more heat in your heads, the whole point is more air , more cooling ...

btw, those comments above in the thread about the fiberglass thing not fitting , mine in the pic here is one from PP, it's not fiberglass, it's black plastic, no fibers in there , yes 2 holes need to be drilled, but hey , it's plastic, i could probably have carved a hole with a swiss pocket knife... and it does fit pretty good ...

the right one is actually metal , since that's a flat hole, not a curved one as on the left...(curved, oh well, bad explanation maybe , but the fan shroud on the left has a cutout , and the right one does not , so that one can be flat metal )

Last edited by svandamme; 03-01-2006 at 07:54 AM..
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

When this is done, what do you do underneath the car if you remove the heater hose that snakes over the engine fan - to the opening on the heat exch where the house was clamped on?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
your supposed to close the holes in the engine tinware for optimal cooling

what you do with the HE's is another thing , you can leave em as is, , cut of the sheetmetal till you basicall have headers left , or take em off, sell em and buy new headers....
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: