Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First Lift

Just got my Harbor Freight midrise lift this week (and on sale, too). This is the same model that Souk has posted often about. It's 110v (despite what Harbor Freight's description says). Unlike the HF instructions, the fluid capacity of the system is actually two gallons and not one. It took me two trips to the FLAPS to buy one-gallon quantities of hydraulic fluid.

My car's at Euro height, so I fashioned a set of Souk ramps (search under "Souk lift") out of 2x4x12s. I counter-sunk the nuts retaining the threaded-rods in the ramps using a Forstner bit. Nice and clean, and the car clears with the rubber pads and everything else installed on the lift.

I cut about a 15-degree approach angle on the ramps with a circular saw. This worked great. The ramps don't shift at all on the drive-on, so I don't see a need to tie the two ramps together with a cross-member, and to the lift.

Here are the pics of the first lift-off:

Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Cool. How much was the lift?

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Cool. How much was the lift?
It was $899.99, not including shipping. The ease of working under your car: priceless.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lift

Wow, that looks mighty good, I need to do that. My neck still hurts from my clutch cable replacement project last week. Do you need to put stands of some sort under there just in case?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There are a series of locking points as the lift goes up. In my pic, the lift was at the second locking point. At that height, I think you'd have plenty of clearance for an engine/tranny drop.

Once the lift hits a locking position, you'll hear a click. At that point, you can stop, drop the lift slightly and take the pressure off the cylinders. This also confirms that the lock is set. The lock can only be released by lifting up past the lock, and then lowering with the brake release being held.

With all that said, a person should never use a lift, jack, jackstands, etc. without checking, re-checking and confirming that all safety measures are being carefully observed.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
THE IRONMAN

Garage
WOW...and the color of the baby is cool too.

<IN GAS WE TRUST>
Old 03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice, can't beat that price either!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sweet!
I know what I am asking for next Christmas.

Wayne
Old 03-19-2006, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to axvel
where did you get it for that price? do you have a website or something?

and what about the wooden 2x4's did you make them yourself??
Red/Cork Tan * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.2 * 915 * LSD * 930 Brakes * Elephant Racing Suspension * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins Sports * Steve Wong Pre-Muff * B&B EXhaust * SW Chip on 4K DME
PCA
Old 03-19-2006, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
where did you get it for that price? do you have a website or something?
Harbor Freight

Quote:
and what about the wooden 2x4's did you make them yourself??
I built the ramps/risers out of 2x4x12 studs. Here's Souk's thread on how he built his: Souk Ramps. I used the same construction technique, with the exception of cutting a much shallower approach angle and countersinking the threaded rod nuts and washers in the studs (no protrusions).
Old 03-20-2006, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Where does that contact the tub? I'm looking at making a rolling rack for my car, but don't know where it is safe to support from. From the pics it looks like right behind the steering rack and right in front of the rear tube are the contact points. Was there any flexing of the sheet metal? How big is the contact area? (ie; 4- 4x4", 2- width of lift x 2"?)
Thanks!
-Jeremy
Old 03-20-2006, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Jeremy, in the back, the rubber pads are contacting the tub frame under the torsion bar tubes. This is a real strong area. In the front, the pads are around where the tub is seam-welded. You have to work carefully in positioning the pads and minding the oil and A/C lines.

Both Souk and Tim Hancock have posted information about lift pad placement for our 900-series cars. I merely followed their advice and experience.

Brian
Old 03-20-2006, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks a lot Brian, I'll search for Souk's and Tim's threads too!
BTW, do you know if they stock those sorts of items at the store, or is it SO only?
-Jeremy
Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Jeremy, I'm pretty sure it's an order- and shipping-only item, as HF says in the various catalog and online listings. I've also never personally seen one in a store.

It's funny, you can buy an extremely heavy engine lathe or mill in the store, but not a lift?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
DOH....I just paid $1700 for the Bend Pak........
Old 03-20-2006, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I just paid $1700 for the Bend Pak
Lots of guys have the Bend Pak lift -- it's a quality unit. An investment in a lift puts you money ahead in the long run in terms of time, convenience and accessibility.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Quote:
Originally posted by mede8er
DOH....I just paid $1700 for the Bend Pak........
I would have been equally happy with the HF unit, but at the time I tried to place an order for one it was indefinately backordered.

Instead, I got the BendPak for $1400 (GarageEquipmentSupply)at the time w/ free shipping.
Both lifts do the same thing, one will be happy with either.

I made my ramps out of (2) 2x10 x 12' long sandwiched together per side with a simple 1/4 x 10" x 12" pc of steel affixed to the roll on end as a ramp. They do not sldie and are fairly easy to move out of the way or reposition for wider/narrower cars.

The resulting 3" lift works on all the cars in my sig (allthough some do not require any ramps). I have had my Toyota tacoma 4 x 4 on it many times also. These things are very stable and most importantly for me, mobile!

I truly do not know how I have got thru life without one for all those years of hardcore DIY projects!

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Tim, I'm wondering now how I got by for so long, too.

I've got my 911, my '99 Jeep Wrangler and my wife's 2000 Jeep Cherokee, and they all will see time on the lift.

Brian
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Some pics of my various vehicles on my Bend Pak (unfortunately I can't find a pic with the 911SC on the lift)
Tacoma

BMW

daughter's 924S getting a "quickie paint job"

944 Turbo getting a "primo paint job"

944 Turbo getting DIY alignment after being lowered onto castering platforms

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Tim, you are the DIY man! Thanks for the inspirational pics. How did your wheel alignment set-up work?

I've got to get started sorting my 911's A/C system soon.

Brian
Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: