Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New windshield cost ??

Guys help me out with windshield cost on my 89 911
German or after market ?
Does the antenna line in center make it mandatory to go with german ?

thanks for all your help.

vinnie from ventura
1989 silver Anniversary 3.2
Old 03-30-2006, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stormmaster Send a message via Yahoo to stormmaster
Per Mitchell Repair estimating guide March Issue date:
Porsche w/ antenna w/inner shield tint 911 541 011 04 $633.88
Porsche w/antenna w/inner shield shade 911 541 011 05 $852.30
Porsche w/antenna w/o inner shield tint 951 541 011 04 $633.88
Porsche w/antenna w/o inner shield shade 951 541 011 04 $852.30

Thes are base prices...typically there are very large discounts off these prices. Call your glass company and ask them for an installed price, I suggest going with factory glass and new seal....dont forget to order a new moulding as well when you order the seal....unless you go with the newer 964 style seal.
74 914
Old 03-30-2006, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Comp on insurance. Two years ago mine was free cause the glass place waived the deductible. It was from the dealer with the antenna down the middle. I think it was about $1200 to the insurance. But last week I tried on my Toyota and they would only waive $50 of my ded.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I’ll apologize in advance if any here are an honest glass dealer. Perhaps you can chime in.

Bill (wcc), what you went through is an insurance scam. The glass supplier gave you a $2-300 piece of glass, the install, waived your deductible (a discount to get your business) and charged your insurance company $1200! We wonder why insurance rates are so high.

The reason your Toyota only got you a $50 discount was they probably only have a 300% margin with the same scam instead of 500%.

Price shop the glass and install. Many times the various suppliers are quoting the exact same piece of glass from a wholesaler. You want to deal with the one who gets the best deal on his cost and passes that on to you.

Pay for it yourself. The benefits you will get from $500, $1000, or $5000 deductible are very significant. A windshield is just like paint, tires, tune-ups and oil changes. It is just part of the cost of operating your 911.

Your insurance company keeps track of these “nuisance” claims and may affect your rates in the future. Save what little “good will” (ha) might exist with an insurance company for when you really need it.

Most glass is very easy to install by a pro. On the other hand, ask if they know how to install a 911 windshield and connect the antenna (heating wires if applicable). It would be wise to take your digital camera and get close-up images of the paint and trim “before.”

I had a wonderful glass supplier (and a 20+ year ’70 911E customer to boot.) He had his best tech do installs for me. Literally a 15 minute process with 50-100 windshields a year, never damaged a car, never a leak and you couldn’t tell from original.

I think the only difficulty was with a poor or color change repaint (glass not removed). I would address that before we ever did any work. Interestingly in those years the Factory windshield gasket could be installed where it covered some masking deficiencies.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay
Bill (wcc), what you went through is an insurance scam. The glass supplier gave you a $2-300 piece of glass, the install, waived your deductible (a discount to get your business) and charged your insurance company $1200! We wonder why insurance rates are so high.

The reason your Toyota only got you a $50 discount was they probably only have a 300% margin with the same scam instead of 500%.
The glass place said it was a dealer only item and couldn't get it. They said get the glass and they would install. So I went to the dealer ordered it up and personally delivered it to the installer and waited in the waiting room for it. Didn't have ride home. The old one had seen over 200000 miles on it with two cracks and TONS of chips. I don't know how this was a scam but if you say so.

What I've paid in insurance MORE than covered the cost of this work & glass so don't blame high rates on me. This is why I pay for insurance.

As for the Toyota I haven't had the job done because the crack is low and not in sight, and only has a couple chips.

It's interesting that you consider my claim an insurance scam when people live in a state with inspections that fail because of one crack or a couple chips. I would have HAD to change both windshields by now if not twice by now (the toyota got a crack the same day I canceled my windshield app). So it would have failed and back to the shop. We don't have inspections here so we can live with more imperfections in the glass. If it gets REALLY bad you can get a "fix it" ticket to have you glass replaced. But that inspection crap is a scam!

Last edited by wcc; 03-30-2006 at 12:39 PM..
Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Actually, my car is in the shop today to get a windshield installed. I called around to at least 4 shops. They all quoted me in excess of $900.00 except one that quoted me about $400.00. On further investigation that one turned out not to have the antenna in the windshieild.

You can find a windshield for cheap but the one with the antenna in the glass runs the glass shop about $600 -$700 their cost.

I had asked for an OEM seal but the glass shop tried to use an aftermarket seal. My car is going to be spending the night there because they could not get the chrome to fit into the aftermarket seal after they got the windsheild mounted.

Insist on a genuine Porsche seal or you, and even they, will be sorry. Needless to say I am a little PO'ed about now. A beautiful spring day and I get to beg for a ride home from work. Yeah!

I claimed this on my insurance. Your comprehensive policy is a different animal than your collision so it really shouldn't change your rates. It is not the same as an accident which really drives up your rates.

Best of luck!

Matt

'87 Carrera, Black on Black
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Unless you just have to have the antenna in the glass and a German manufacturer, I just price glass for my 70 911T w/o antenna from Safelite for $114.00. PPG is about same price. I plan to do my own install. it's not that hard.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Here in Houston I called around to several national chain glass places. 1 place said they could get the windshield for just a bit over $600. The dealer said they would replace it for a bit over $900. It was probably the same place that did the work either way since the Dealer subcontracted the job out. I only paid my $500 deductible.

That was on an '88 with the built in antenna.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 03-30-2006, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bill,

I’ll take that back – about the scam at least. If you got the windshield from your Dealer in a Porsche box, you have the real McCoy. Yes those are expensive. There are very suitable alternatives.
Quote:
It's interesting that you consider my claim an insurance scam when people live in a state with inspections that fail because of one crack or a couple chips.
Gee, I wonder what industry successfully lobbied (paid) your state legislators.

Every single time (since I retired) that I call some glass installer as a reality check, this scam has been proposed. Needless to say I still use my friend as his grandson is now the GM.

Matt, this illustrates the degree of research we all need to do prior to going to some places. I was able to provide my customers good service because of my attention to these details. This past winter I was able to help TRE, several other independents and two Dealer friends with the glass issue.

I just got off the phone with my insurance agent (another 35-year Porsche owner/customer) about the deductible amount / premium ratio issue.

I priced two cars with full coverage and my rates.

’81 911SC coupe, value $15K
$100 deductible - $600/yr
$250 deductible - $576/yr
$500 deductible - $552/yr
$1000 deductible - $521/yr

Clearly there isn’t a huge incentive. The difference between $100 & $1000 is 15%. At $79/yr it would take about 11.4 years to accumulate the difference not counting interest and other. The problem here is they will simply refuse coverage after a claim.

When you have a newer 911 things change significantly. With a ’04 996 coupe, value $70K my rates are:
$100 deductible - $1835/yr
$250 deductible - $1613/yr
$500 deductible - $1415/yr
$1000 deductible - $1162/yr

This is a 58% discount with the difference between $100 & $1000. At $673/yr it will pay in 1.3 years. Unless you are a really stupid driver, that is a deal no one should pass on.

Everyone should have a little separate account (real or virtual) to cover 2-3 deductibles. The really good news is you are collecting the income and own the asset, not the insurance company. Go 10 years and you have close to $10K on this example.

The most important issue is to drive carefully and not have claims. Some you can’t help some; that is why we carry insurance (aside from the state mandate). The two most significant effects on your insurance cost are your driving record and claims record. As I understand it, many states prevent the insurance company from raising your rate for non-driving (comprehensive) claims. However this can become a big issue when changing companies.

Steve, you are correct. Anyone in the Porsche business sub-contracts the install to a tech who does 10+/day. That expertise is very valuable. The key is finding the right tech who understands Porsche and our concerns. There is also the issue of the integrity of the business.

Steve, it would be educational to see how much your insurance actually paid, including discounts, kickbacks, etc. I think they are obligated to give you that info, depending on your state law. If you are unsatisfied, talk to your state AG or your local US Attorney.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 03-30-2006, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

In my opinion, a windshield is a consumable, and its 'quality' has nothing to do with safety or performance. You'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to spend more than $200 on one, installed.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay
Gee, I wonder what industry successfully lobbied (paid) your state legislators.
I can't argue with that. But it's definitely in my favor. Anyways, no hard feelings.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Retired Member

I just picked one up today, PPG tinted glass for $230 CDN.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe I should have settled for the non-antenna glass, but I really hate to have to mount a fender antenna. It is just not what the car came with and I am a bit of a purist even if my car isn't pristine.

'87 Carrera, Black on Black
Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Information Junky

"and its 'quality' has nothing to do with safety or performance. "

yeah, but distortions suck . . the optical quality of various windshields seem to be all over the map. --tho usually more so between different makes of cars.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

"because they could not get the chrome to fit into the aftermarket seal after they got the windshield mounted."

Has this place ever done a 911 windshield before? The chrome trim has to go into the seal before the windshield is installed in the car. They may have already badly bent the chrome trim trying to force it in. The aftermarket seals tend to fit poorly and are not recommended.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by island911
"and its 'quality' has nothing to do with safety or performance. "

yeah, but distortions suck . . the optical quality of various windshields seem to be all over the map. --tho usually more so between different makes of cars.
I've never had a problem with that, but I agree it would be a problem.

I go through windshields pretty quickly. I think I'm on my fourth in five years.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Banned

so what's an OEM Securit brand windshield w/antenna go for? I just drove home tonight and got a nice sized rock flung at me by a passing semi, cracked my upper right corner pretty bad. I agree that 3rd party non-OEM glass has distortion so I want to stick to the German OEM one.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

cygtoad,
U don't have to stick an antena on the fender. There is a type of interior antena you can stick on the windshield. It is powered and some even have a litle LED when the radio is on. In my personal exp, it works well.

There are too many people spend too much money on windshield. I have not replaced any windshield on P yet but all of my and my family cars, from nissan, toyota to BMW and MB, I never spend over $150 on windshield and have not have to spend $$ for windshield on one car twice. In fact, my OEM BMW windshield turn real bad (bubbles) after several years while those cheap after market one last much longer, clear no bubbles. Yes, it's easier to chip, according to the glass seller.

Last edited by rnln; 03-31-2006 at 12:49 AM..
Old 03-31-2006, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Olsen
I go through windshields pretty quickly.
I've seen your "unique" way of removing them.

My last windshield was about $160 installed, by a guy who knows Porsches very well. He will only use a factory gasket for 911s.

I carry a $2000 deductable. I also don't think it's worth bothering with the insurance company for a windshield.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
The Chef

I got installed last week for 120.00. Just plain windshield with no tinted area. Install guy told me he pays aroung 60.00 per unit. Alot of glass is coming out of china now. Good for us. Bad for PPG.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: