Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to brday
Cabriolet Weatherstrip

The horizontal and vertical weatherstrip that seals the side windows to the top is getting a little ragged on my car. I'm about to place an order with our hosts for some new ones but thought I'd check with the Board as to any installation hints. Is any adhesive or special tools necessary? It seems that the stripping is just wedged into channels, but I'm not sure. I'm on the road through Friday and want to order today so that I can have a weekend project.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

'73 Triumph TR6 w/ OD (Sold)
Old 04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I used 3m weatherstrip adhesive and tape to hold the vertical pieces in place while curing. You're correct, the stripping simply fits in the groove but be sure to clean all the old gunk out of the channel with adhesive remover first. The horizontal piece is held in by 3-4 screws if I remember correctly - no adhesive required for those pieces.

Last edited by 84CAB; 04-25-2006 at 03:31 PM..
Old 04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What 84CAB said. On the 3M be sure to follow instructions. My impatience on one side caused problems.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

84CAB,
Regards the horizontal piece you mentioned above, where do I find those screws? I want to adjust it but can't find screws at all.
Thanks.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rnln
84CAB,
Regards the horizontal piece you mentioned above, where do I find those screws? I want to adjust it but can't find screws at all.
Thanks.
The screws are recessed into the molding. It's been a while since I did mine but I believe you should be able to see the holes while sitting inside the car looking up- you can't see the screw heads you'll have to just insert a small phillips screwdriver into the hole.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

84cab,
umm.. I did the "look up", and "look everywhere" many times but still didn't see them. Maybe mine was replace with after market part so it's different?
I'll look again.
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Weatherstrip

I had the same problem, so I to thought it would be a nice weekend project. What a nightmare. Yep, you do have to get all of the goo out of the grooves, but even if you do this, it is a bear to get these rubber pieces to seat properly. I actually ruined the new ones I tried to install - so now I make sure to get the weather forcast before I take my baby out - I don't have ANY weatherstrip in there right now! I would be very interested to get your review after you've installed since I haven't been brave enough to try it again.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

rnln - pelican shows a part for '83-'85 cars and '86-'89 cars. the later ones must be attached differently.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The vertical pieces are a tight push fit in to the "seal rail" which has the 4 studs and mount it to the cab B pillar. Don't throw the old seal away with the rail still attached as they are difficult to replace (don't ask how I know this)!!
I installed a new 993 top over the winter with new door seals, windshield frame seal and veritcal seals. I found it was VERY important to fit the windshield frame seal carefully so that the door window frame hits in the right place.
Gruppe B #309
Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That whole project was a nightmare! Of course I am also probably clueless! The seals ARE a tight fit. Very tight. And that 3M weatherstrip is very unforgiving. It is incredibly gooey and gets on everything. Then you have yellow glue on your nice new seals! As I said, the old ones were completely trashed so I had to pitch these. The new ones - all 500$ of them, I ruined. So, now, the car has no weatherstripping!! So, the top is always down and I never drive it in the rain - laugh.

Last edited by mgbruno; 04-26-2006 at 12:38 PM..
Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The horizontal seal has 4 holes in the rubber with a screw down in each. The screws can be hard to locate because the holes they ride through allow a lot of adjustment.
Gruppe B #309
Old 04-26-2006, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Gulp. Glad I asked - or maybe not... In any event, the parts are on their way and I'm now obligated to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it worked out, but I have to tell you guys, my confidence level is not what it was 24 hours ago!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

my top is from an 88, not sure the which year weather strip is. I looked and found that the horizontal, above the glass is also push in. No screw nor bolt found. On top of the weather strip, I found a piece of metal but it's so tight I can't lift the material to see more up there. Well, I guess I am giving up. I don't want to tear/break more part when it's not broken yet
Old 04-30-2006, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
From the PP catalog, it looks like the 86-89 has some kind of 2 piece horizontal seal. Unforetunately the picture links don't work. Maybe a Bentley manual will have instructions on how to replace them.
Gruppe B #309
Old 04-30-2006, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Ova Day

Garage
Ok, I'm a cheap bastard. $550 for six pieces of rubber for my 88 cab is not happening right now. My seals work OK but are faded and worn through the first layer of fabric in a few spots. Is the some kind of coating I can "paint" on these seals to rejuvenate them? Or should I just paint some vaseline on my ********* and order the replacement parts.
08 Ski Nautique 375 hp
06 Chevy Silverado
Old 04-30-2006, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Buy the new ones. I removed the cloth covering and spray painted my old ones first and they looked like hammered a$$, so I replaced them. The seals are in a place where every one can see them, embarrassing to have a hack look on a nice Pcar. After replacing them you'll be glad you did.(After the pain subsides!)
Old 04-30-2006, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I pilled off the cloth, not easy bit possible. I don't like the look of those cloth, and it permit water soak anyway.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Okay, so despite the stories/warnings, I proceeded. All in all, not a difficult job. I believe that it is defferent for '86 and up than for earlier years judging by the part numbers for the stripping (same part # for '86 right through the end of the 993 line). I needed no 3M adhesive whatsoever. Here's the blow-by-blow.

I started on the Drivers side with the top down by pulling off the interior horizontal strip - note that there are two horiziontal strips per side - an interior and an exterior. The interior is all rubber and the exterior is covred in black cloth. After pulling off the interior stripping, I saw an aluminum piece that was retaining the exterior strip mounted to the top frame by four screws. After removing this piece, I peeled off the the old strip. Before attaching the new weatherstripping, get your bearings and make sure you have the correct piece of stripping in your hand. It sounds elementary, but it gets a little confusing here (especially halfway through my second Foster's Oil Can!) I had to wander over to the passenger side to observe the fit more than once. There is a "T" shaped groove in the aluminum strip. There is a "T" shaped plug molded into the length of the horizontal strip. One could probably press the plug into the groove with some difficulty, but I found that it slid on from one end fairly easily one was locked down tight that way. Reattach the aluminum strip (which is adjustable BTW) and press the interior rubber strip back in.

On to the vertical stripping. For this exercise I put the top up. The vertical strip is held on by four small nuts that are accessible from the backseat (or through the unzipped rear window – which I found easier). Be very careful when removing these nuts (and the accompanying washers) as it is difficult to get your fingers in there and there are some nasty looking areas below from which retrieval could be an hour exercise. Once all four nuts are removed, the old stripping will come right off. As another writer above notes – DON’T THROW THE OLD ONE AWAY! You’ll need to pull the old frame off and reuse it on the new weatherstripping. The four holed more or less aligned on mine. After reattaching the vertical stripping, you may need to adjust the recently installed horizontal stripping to ensure that when the top is closed, the two corners meet properly. It took me a few tries to get this part right.

For me this was well worth it. The cloth on my old weatherstripping was hideously deteriorated and made the whole top (which appears to be less than 5-6 years old) look bad.

Start to finish, taking my time, and climbing the learning curve, took about two hours.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Ova Day

Garage
Excellant description of the process. Did you replace both inner and outer horizontal strips? Only the outers look worn on my car.

Might be less than the six-o-Sierra Nevada job I envisioned.
08 Ski Nautique 375 hp
06 Chevy Silverado
Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Only the outers. The inner is a thick, rubber strip that shouldn't deteriorate. I reused mine.

I'm guessing that this is a much bigger job on the pre-86 versions based on what I read above...

Old 05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: