Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1968 911L Barn Find!!!

I was taking a late afternoon cruise in my '87 911 today with this awesome weather we have been having. I pull up to a 4 way stop in the middle of nowhere, and there sits an early red coupe in front of someone's barn. I thought, "Cool, it will be fun to look at the car and chat with the owner. I pull up and notice a "For Sale" sign on the front. Soooo, the heart starts pounding a little bit as I step out of the car. The car has a good layer of dust, but looks pretty decent, a little high in the rear. The owner comes out and was very nice. He said he needed to sell the car and that it was a one year only model 1968 911L. I have always wanted an early car, but had figured on a LWB at some point. I had heard that the SWB is actually preferred by some vintage racers...

He said he recently holed a piston running the carbs too lean and had removed the cylinder heads. He got a replacement from "Parts Heaven", but stopped there. I looked in the engine bay, and you could see the pistons sticking out of the block between the long bolts. Whoa! This is defintely more of a project than I can handle. He said it "was running fine, just needs new rings and put back together". So I kind of backed off and made a cursory look at the rest of the car as I was starting to leave.....but the guy kept on talking!

It's a nonsunroof, matching number car 2.0 with webers, red with black interior. It was a sporto, changed to a 5 speed in the early 70's. There are some rust bubbles where the fenders meet the windshield. I didn't really look for any more (I know, I know, but I wasn't interested, remember?
It has 15" fuchs (I don't know how to tell if deep 6's), 195/60 15 Dumlops, S trim, 5 guages, 911L emblems, correct steering wheel, ? S metal front spoiler, records going way back according to owner, decent 18 yo respray - not sure if original color. I didn't see a vin # plate on the driver B-pillar like on my Carrera. Driver's side Durant mirror, radio antennae. Various tools for engine, car. Black wipers, horizontal rear grille slat, front/rear fender holes for the side reflectors.

"Make me an offer."...."What are you asking?" At this point I was just curious. He knew it was an one year only car and about 500 were made and kept repeating this fact, so I figured he was probably Barrret-Jackson dreaming. I really don't need another project, especially of this magnitude. I always loved the classic, minimalistic look of the 911R. Hmmmmm.

I got in my car to leave and he said, I'm asking $XXXX, but if you're serious, I'll take $XXXX. (Sorry, it's not a deal possibly till tomorrow)

I....just......froze.

I realized the possible magnitude of the project, but at that price, it would even part out for alot more. I wished him luck, and said I really can't take it on.....

So, I got home and busted out the Porsche reference library. It's a cool car! Basically an "S" car, with a detuned 130hp engine for U.S. Problem is although I'm a big fan of the early cars, I can't tell a S caliper or if it really does have a S front spoiler. But at a good price, it's hard to walk away.

I'm thinking of going back tomorrow am and buying it. Sorry, no pics (I wasn't interested, remember?)

So, what do you guys think? I realize every system might need replaced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1968 Polo Red 911L Barn Find 5/6/06
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/281343-1968-911l-barn-find.html
PCA Potomac Region

"There's one thing that gets more looks than a new 911............an old one."

Last edited by call911; 05-06-2006 at 07:40 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You have any idea of how many of us will be driving around in the the Maryland "middle of nowhere" tomorrow a 1st light looking for this thing?
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

you got an informative PM !
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 05-06-2006, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The price you pay for the car may be but a very small part of the final cost after you have taken care of everything wrong with it & put it into decent shape.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you don't, somebody else will.
I wish I never sold my '68 L. Every thing I ever read about them was about how they weren't this or would never be that.
When you romp down on the gas pedal, and hear those Webbers wail, you will know you did the right thing. They are fun drivers that will bring miles of smiles.

85 carrera
Old 05-07-2006, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I agree with Marv.

This probably a $20K project but could be easily $50K. In either case that is more than its finished market value. That is not to say it shouldn’t be undertaken.

Go back today armed with a digital camera, some earnest money and a
Purchase agreement
the buying process

If it turns out that it is too much project for you, there are some who will make it happen regardless of cost. You should contract to purchase it. This allows you to have some expert eyes look at it for you and advise.

Rust is the biggest problem. If you can see a little – there is a lot. It will never be a “numbers matching” 911 because the Sportomatic is probably long gone.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Impossible to advise until you look into the car and its price a bit more. Restoration is always more expensive than buying a car someone else has restored to your level of acceptability.

But I will say this. After having my '84 out for about a month, I took the '68 out of storage yesterday. Within two miles I remembered why I'll *never* sell it. If you know someone with a SWB car, take it for a spin and you'll see what I mean
1968 sand beige 911 coupe #11830091
1984 metallic moss green 911 Carrera coupe
1981 red Alfa Romeo Spider
Old 05-07-2006, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the great advice guys. I realize this could be a huge undertaking, but for $3,500 and 5 miles from my house, I just couldn't walk away! I went back this morning, EARLY given the above comment and looked it over a little better. I think it's Polo Red, decent respray. The guy had the original purchase documents with Jan 11, 1969 delivery in the "Porsche Maintenance Record" - 8 yrs of handwritten entries with 71,000 miles in the book (very cool, but nothing afterward). He even had the owner's manual, color chart, Porsche dealer listing booklet, seat belt booklet, and a Hirschman antenna bookelt with a tiny key (?)

There is some rust in the bottom of the outer rockers (goes into the space for the heater vent (?), front fender seams at the windshield, dime size hole in trunk, pan looks ok, floors seemed ok. (I know, there's always way more.) The upper engine was in pieces in the garage. He had a replacement #1 piston and head. The interior is fair, and all the pieces are there. The car looks very original overall, except for the 5 speed.

I gave him $3,500, but he probably would of taken $3,000. He was very nice and needed the money for some bills. I really didn't want to haggle another $500.

A nonsunroof 5 speed SWB coupe with 2.0/Webers is a good start for 911R clone, vintage racer/DE. Since I'm fortunate to be able to get my "flat 6 symphony" fix anytime with the '87, I can take my time and think things over.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice above. I feel especially privileged to have Grady weigh in with his background and depth of knowledge. (Yes, I am a long time lurker.)

Here's a few dusty pics. Please feel free with any comments/ideas. Thanks guys!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=281343
PCA Potomac Region

Last edited by call911; 05-07-2006 at 03:23 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Henry...you did great. AWESOME find!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great find Henry, now get it back together and drive...
“People who never make mistakes must get tired of doing nothing”
Bill : The origin of the orgy of Porsche
Old 05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Great find, I'm not realy liking you very much right now
Old 05-07-2006, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That car is VERY original...

I had a '68...many things are 1 year only on that ride....for instance I can see that you have the original '68 map pockets...those are sooooooooo rare.........it is also the only year they had the "elephant dash" material...which I think you also have....hell the body looks real straight..........and the interior doesn't seem to bad.....is the re a crack on the the dash board? I can't tell..

What a find. IF you keep her original (even though this year isn't very sought after....due to being underpowered) she could fetch between 25 to 30,000 $

SvK

1996 993
1968 911L 3.0 Carb'd.....(sold)
"I don't even know enough to know that I don't know."
Old 05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My '68 3.0L conversion fetched 20.000$

1996 993
1968 911L 3.0 Carb'd.....(sold)
"I don't even know enough to know that I don't know."
Old 05-07-2006, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Great score!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wow! Good to hear I'm not going to be the butt of every joke at the watercooler tomorrow. Happy and relieved!

The other cool thing about having the "Porsche Maintenance Record", is that the VIN#/engine #'s matched the original log entry from 1969. The car was bought from Holbert's Porsche Audi in Warrington, Pa. I also saw the plate/engine stamp.

VIN# 11805445

Engine Serial # 3380415

The guy said the block was aluminum (vs. magnesium for the later half of '68). Maybe someone who knows the VIN codes can let me know...

SvK - I read alot about your car last night in my searches. This one has the basketweave dash and door panels. There is the usual crack on the dash. The body/gaps look real good. Not even a ding!

"Skilled craftsmen assembled your Porsche at the factory with great care. The car will prove to be a quick and dependable machine. It is bound to give you much satisfaction, whether used for business or personal travel or for the pleasures of motor sport.

A world-wide Porsche service organization is at your service."

What a class act!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=281343
PCA Potomac Region

Old 05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
DP935 member

I'm glad you went back and bought it. It looks like you found a really great deal.

I have a 68 911L that was originally Polo Red but its a really nice black now. When I get some other projects finished I will paint it back to the original Polo Red.

I have heard of people taking the engine apart while in the car still but never seen it first hand.

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Great purchase... this will keep you busy!

Congrats!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Good find.

You might consider a 3.0 or 3.2 transplant which will be WAY cheaper than rebuilding that 2.0 to get to your R-level performance.

As for vintage racing, I've seen those SWB 2.0's screaming down the track at Willow Springs. AWESOME! Of course, those guys have seriously big bucks in their cars. But your plan was to stop WAY before you get to $100,000, right?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I had a 69t and the little key came with it was to pull the manual antenea up when inserted into the notch on the top og the mast
Old 05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Money well spent. We all dream of days like you had!
Old 05-07-2006, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: