Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Aftermarket Tweeter placement?

All you guys who have upgraded your factory component speakers, where did you mount your updated tweeters?

The factory tweeter is housed in a 2" enclosure and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit a 1" tweeter in that exact same spot.

I'm thinking my only option is to mount the new tweeter in the door, closer to the dash, or mount it in the pod and have it located on the A pillar or on the dash itself.

Ideas/suggestions?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a pair that just sit in the corner where the a pillar meets the dash-a pod in that area would be ideal. Much better image than in the door.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 05-09-2006, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Aftermarket Tweeter placement?

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
All you guys who have upgraded your factory component speakers, where did you mount your updated tweeters?

The factory tweeter is housed in a 2" enclosure and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit a 1" tweeter in that exact same spot.

I'm thinking my only option is to mount the new tweeter in the door, closer to the dash, or mount it in the pod and have it located on the A pillar or on the dash itself.

Ideas/suggestions?
I went to TAP Plastics and had a small adapter ring made to mount my MB Quart Tweeters in the factory location. I took them a speaker and the trim piece in the photo still attached to the door, and they made it from measurements they took. I then glued it to the OEM trim ring with black silicon rubber, and it's been working "invisibly" for about 10 months now.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The audio guys suggest mounting tweeters close to the midrange speaker. Therefore, I mounted them in the carpet above the interior kick panel map pocket and next to the door jam (early 911). The midrange speaker is mounted on the lower corner of the door panel. A piece of flat sheet metal between carpet and speaker retaining ring provides support. The crossover box is also in the space behind the carpet; foam-wrapped and zip tied to the heater duct. You can see the tweeter in the b.g. behind my hanging ign. switch.

Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by greglepore
I have a pair that just sit in the corner where the a pillar meets the dash-a pod in that area would be ideal. Much better image than in the door.
Hmmm, the Focal manual shows that this point is the best for imaging/staging.

However, it also states that flush mounted is better than surface mounted (i.e: in a pod). What do you guys think?

I'm trying to decide on the optimal location for best staging.

People say the tweeter should be no more than ~50cm away from the MidBass, or else separation occurs. I'm not sure what this means. Anyone care to elaborate?

Others say to measure the point from your ear to the midbass and then to use this same measurement to place the tweeter high up in the door
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I actually run coax MB Q's in the door (ref series) with the second tweeter just to create a soundstage. I don't notice separation this way.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Greg, what's the approx distance from your midbass to your tweeter? I've read no more than 1.5ft apart, but typically, they should be only 3-4cm apart.

I'm seriously considering mounting the tweeter in the pod and mounting it where the A-pillar meets the base of the windshield, on the dash.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

that refers to spatial separation -- the soundstaging is not right -- instruments - say in jazz combo -- appear to be in incorrect or impossible places. It can also cause some intermodulation effects, percieved as smearing of the sound at times.

But hey - it's a car! And worse for audio reproduction, it's a 911.

If you have pet owl* it will object stringently. Otherwise yeh try to get them close, but it ain't that big a deal.

*They have assymetric placement of the ears and ear tufts to better localize sounds in the vertical plane. There is no charge for this biological tidbit -- for TODAY ONLY!!

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm glad you guys can hear your stereo system.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I floated the tweeters around on long wires to hear what's happening at different locations. I went for the most cabin punch at 4k rpm in 4th. If it can punch thru that it's pretty decent imo.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 05-11-2006, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Merv-I actually have 2 tweeters on each channel, the MB's are coax, the other tweeters (Infinity) are just for "fill" and staging and are at the A pillar, kind of the best of both worlds.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Early studio monitors such as Altec and Tannoy where coaxial arrangements. Over time both studio monitors and home speakers moved towards separating the components and then dealing with phasing thru the crossover electronics and placement on the baffle board. I think in theory you want the speakers close to each other. In the automotive world its pretty much anything goes because of space issues.. in a 911, space very limited.
If I were you I would try to locate the tweeters as close as possible. Ronin was deadnuts, balls on with hooking them up and floating them around the cabin to see what is pleasing to you.
I have Canton speakers in my car. The tweeters are mounted where the power window switches would normally live [I've got crank windows]. The mids [actually a pair for each side] are located where the factory speaker would be. I pretty much hate the sound. With the top down I get all tweeter its annoying. Stationary it sounds ok. With the engine off it actually sounds pretty good but not all that useful!
I'm in the process of restoring my interior back to its original 78 glory..which means the Cantons well go. I'm going to install new door panels coax Focals or MB Quart behind factory speaker grilles. I'm choosing appearance over sound. Because you have a cab I think its really important that you play with the tweeter placement in the car with the top down and cruising. Its a real ear opener.
Own a gun and you can rob a bank , own a bank and you can rob the world.

Last edited by Mysterytrain; 05-12-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yes, I think I'll move the tweeter around to try to determine the best position. The Focal tweeters are quite harsh, so I don't think I'll be mounting it anywhere where it's pointing directly at me. Probably flush mounted in the door, closer to the dash, or just gutting the factory 2" tweeter out and mounting it in the same enclosure
Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

fwiw.. my stock 6.5 Focal separate tweeters were up-graded to the more expensive tweets for $250+ and delivered more.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 05-15-2006, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: