Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best Pre-muffler for a 3.2?

I'm curious what the best pre-muffler/cat bypass is for a 3.2. I would think the Dansk would be the best, but I'm not sure there is a real difference. Some opinions please.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Fabspeed makes an excellent pipe. Stainless steel with excellent build quality. Do not waste your money on the skinny flanged, cheap a$$ed models from various mfr's.
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)
Old 05-25-2006, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Funny, I have both Dansk and Bursch. Guess what, the Bursch seems to outperform the Dansk, although it's really not a premuffler but a straight pipe.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Don't know which is the best ..................I DO know what I have, which is the fabspeed euro-premuff combined with a M&K 1 in and 1 out. The combination has (IMHO) an awesome sound....add a chip From 911 Chips and .......well it just keeps gettin better

From what I have learned the straight pipe may hurt the performance.......and you do want to retain the O2 sensor which the fabspeed will allow you to do.

88 Guards Red Targa (sadly sold )
2005 Boxster S
1st Porsche 73 914 (long gone)
Old 05-26-2006, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

happy camper w/my GHL!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm planning on doing a Fabspeed euro-premuffler based on what I have read on this board. Still on the fence regarding muffler choice Fabspeed vs M&K.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I also have the Fabspeed Pre-muff. Don't get the pre muff and the
cat by-pass confused....they are different. Cat by-pass is a straight
pipe, the pre muff uses a larger expansion chamber.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KCinBR
Don't know which is the best ..................I DO know what I have, which is the fabspeed euro-premuff combined with a M&K 1 in and 1 out. The combination has (IMHO) an awesome sound....add a chip From 911 Chips and .......well it just keeps gettin better

From what I have learned the straight pipe may hurt the performance.......and you do want to retain the O2 sensor which the fabspeed will allow you to do.
I can attest that KCs setup sounds great! I would be interested in hearing the difference between the M&K and Fabspeed mufflers and am curious if there's a difference in power.

'84 Grand Prix White RoW Carrera
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
mackpipes

I'll put another vote in for the Fabspeed part. I'm running a Fabspeed pre-muffler with a B&B dual out muffler and a Steve Wong Chip. I pulled 203 RWHP on the dyno. The car is a 1985 Euro 911.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I just got a fabspeed pre-muffler on wed day. going to put in into my car this weekend. The pre-muffler it buith very well.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

pre-muffler

Wow, sounds like everybody likes the Fabspeed. Anybody have pre and post hp numbers? I was thinking the Dansk since I believe the Fabspeed is newer. So when you read about a pre-muffler being better than a bypass I assumed it was probably a Dansk being tested against the bypass.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
You can expect 8ish HP with a pre muffler. I have had both fabspeed and dansk premufflers on my car. The fabspeed is probably lighter but don't know for sure.
I currently have the dansk but may go back to fabspeed if there's enough weight savings.
87 911 Coupe - Venetian Blue Track Car - Sadly Sold
2015 Audi Q5, 2015 Golf TDI
Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KCinBR

I am considering the same mods: fabspeed euro-premuff combined with a M&K 1 in and 1 out, and 911 Chip from SW. I like the "awesome sound" description, but in your opinion is it an acceptable level for everyday driving...around town, the neighborhood, etc. I'm looking for an "understated but serious 911" sound.

Last edited by gpm0414; 05-30-2006 at 09:41 AM..
Old 05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by gpm0414
I am considering the same mods: fabspeed euro-premuff combined with a M&K 1 in and 1 out, and 911 Chip from SW. I like the "awesome soiund" description, but in your opinion is it an acceptable level for everyday driving...around town, the neighborhood, etc. I'm looking for an "understated but serious 911" sound.
I think it is very much acceptable for around town driving.....I do it every day. I'm not a kid any more and dont need excessive noise to draw attention to me (the shiney Guards red paint does that).

I had the same concerns about it being to loud, but I have been well pleased with the results of my choice.

Dont hesitate to give Ben at M&K a call he was very helpful answering my questions.

Also Steve Wong was very helpful with questions I had about my chip.

The combinatioin of chip, pre-muff and muffler have made a big difference in the performance/driveability of my car.

88 Guards Red Targa (sadly sold )
2005 Boxster S
1st Porsche 73 914 (long gone)
Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have a straight pipe (schnell I think) and a M&K 1/1 muffler combined with an Autothority MAF - got 212 at the rear wheels 2 weeks ago. Will probably go to a Fabspeed to get rid of the popping and a Steve W. chip to tweek things so will update later.

87 911 Targa
06 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-29-2006, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

Just a picture of the Dansk unit I have.

04 996 40th Anniversary
88 911 Diamond Blue CE Carrera 3.4 HC3.4 member
2016 Acura RDX
Old 05-29-2006, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

One of the comments I heard was that the pre-mufflers relieve a lot of back pressure and that throttle response is really improved. Any truth in that?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flyer88
I have a straight pipe (schnell I think) and a M&K 1/1 muffler combined with an Autothority MAF - got 212 at the rear wheels 2 weeks ago. Will probably go to a Fabspeed to get rid of the popping and a Steve W. chip to tweek things so will update later. [/QUOTE

What poping??????? Its not caused by a muffler it would be the chip combo or gasket leak somehwere way before any popping from a muffler.

Oh and jim has the very very first 1 in 1 out for a carrera.... Do you feel special JIM????

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 05-30-2006, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ben,
I didn't mean the Fabspeed muffler I meant the bypass - you muffler sounds awesome! Evan Ford lives close by and he has the same muffler but uses a Porsche euro pre-muffler and doesn't get the popping sound so my diagnosis is that it is the straight pipe that is causing it. There is no leaking. Actually the popping sounds pretty cool, except when you are passing Johnny Law or taking a customer to lunch.

87 911 Targa
06 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-30-2006, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: