Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing fan from alternator shaft?

How do you remove the fan from the alternator shaft. I'd like to have the fan bead blasted. Do you have to counter hold the fan/alternator shaft while removing the nut in the front?

Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

see here, action #12 --> http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_volt_reg_replace/911_volt_reg_replace.htm

Or.....some people use a gear puller, and use the threaded holes ( if available) on the front face of the fan to screw in some bolts for the puller to grab on to. The counter-force of the puller is then against the fan shaft. Never pull by the blades.

- Wil
Old 06-12-2006, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
friend of mine presses mine off. but i take everything off - out first.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

If lucky you can pressed it out by hand; there is nothing holding it in place after removing the nut/shims/pulley. Don't pull on the tips of the blades, hold it from the middle/solid and pull it straight out. If not go wilferch route.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's the irony....I put two drops of PB blaster on the threaded section of the alternator shaft...left to grab a bite to eat. When I came back, I set up a couple of 2X4's...when I turned the fan shround/alt/fan assembly on to the wood blocks...the fan, spacer and "key" fell off Much ado about nothing....the threaded section is what throws people off..... The alternator popped out of the fan shround with a couple of gravity drops onto the wood blocks. Lesson of the day...PB blaster/penetrating oil is your friend.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Take nut off with an air wrench.....PB blaster, sit overnight and lightly slam the threaded end of the shaft onto a piece of light wood like a 2 X 4 laying on the floor.....Fan should come off....
1960 Mercedes 190SL
1962 XKE Roadster (sold) - 13 motorcycles
Old 06-12-2006, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lundy

Mine came off after a sharp rap to the shaft with the hard plastic end of my small mallet. I also thought I had lost my key while putting on the new fan. The key popped out and landed inside the alternator and not in the bottom of the bracket that covers the pulleys. That could have been quite a mess.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Anyone have any secret tips on this? I've been soaking the interference fit w Kroil for 3 days. I've tried tappin on the back of the hub w a small hammer. I've tried setting up blocks of wood and suspending the alternator so everything is resting on the rear edge of the hub, and rapping the shaft to drive the alternator downwards.

Seriously thinking about busting out the torch soon, and focusing the heat on the hub of the fan. I don't have threaded holes on the fan so I can't use a puller.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

With the alternator still on the fan hsng lay a piece of wood on the floor/bench hold the hsng and slam one edge of it against the wood block, it might need a few tries but it should dislodge the fan out of the alt., works for me everytime, Jay.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I find a chatter gun is the tool for this. An air chisel, but you find or fabricate a workpiece with a blunt end, as by welding a thick washer on the end. While pulling on the fan with one hand, hold the end of the work piece on the shaft of the alternator, axially, and chatter away. Doesn't seem to take long to vibrate the fan loose.

An alternative is a pointed end work piece, like a punch. A small dimple in the end of the shaft won't hurt anything, but a blunt end seems a better practice.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Careful with the torch idea, it is magnesium and it will self ignite your entire garage.
For real
Old 05-11-2020, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well. I got it off. Iíll post a video later but I am amazed at how much force it required to remove. I was using a small sledge hammer on the shaft, and supported the back of the fan on some steel blocks on my driveway.

I tried the torch as well, just local heat on the center of the fan; assumed the center was not magnesium and it didnít light on fire so idk.

I was into ally using blocks of wood but was getting nowhere. I also tried using a small piece of wood in between the shaft and the sledge, but I eventually eliminated that too.

100% of the force was going to breaking the bond. No loss in any type of wood, even still, I had to WAIL on this thing a couple times to get it free. Kind of amazed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: