Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Turbo Boosting Gauge/Vac Leak

My '87 930 boosting gauge needle has been all over the map lately. It used to be right on .8 bar and lately it's been dropping down to .6bar and got as high as 1bar a few times. I believe that my 'Charging Pressure Sender' is going bad so I was planning on replacing it. So I was looking for it when I found this vac leak with a nipple broken off of it. It looks like it's been broken off before and someone along the way glued it back on.

First off what is the name of this part? I couldn't find it in my book.

Also, do you think this will fix my problem of my gauge being all over the place? I would think so. But what do you guys think..

Old 07-03-2006, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

bumperoonie

Wayne
Old 07-04-2006, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Wayne for the bump!

How about a Post 4th of July Holiday Bump!

Anyone?

Sandman?
Craig?
Kurt?

Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Bueller?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

WCC - I think the stuff that powers the boost gauge is on the front of the BOV housing. It's the orangish/red looking rubber boot with a spring around it (to help seal it)...there's a sensor on it. The picture you have posted I believe is related to the air injection stuff. I have removed all the air injection switches-solenoids-hoses-pumps, etc on mine (including that thing you have pictured) and my boost gauge works fine. I'll post a picture tonight.

Best,
Jeff
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Here's an image from beepbeeps BOV housing rebuild thread. You can see the part I'm talking about...it's redish/orange.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 07-05-2006 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Of course I suppose it's possible with that open hose that you have pictured that the vaccum leak could be causing part of the problem. I'm not sure how reliable these boost gauge sending units are...
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok, so it's probably my 'Charging Pressure Sending unit'. This makes sense cause I was still getting normal boosting with this vac disconnected. So I guess I won't worry about this vac line then. Should I just leave it hanging there, plug it, or remove it?

Here is what I was thinking it was.....
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=POR&model=911L&section=ELswch&page=1&bookmark=8&part_number=993-606-103-00-M100
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'd hate for you to sink that kind of dough into a new sending unit only to find out that it's something else...maybe someone else can provide instructions on how to test it...BUMP!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well I figured it's either that sending unit or my wastegate is going bad. Those are my guesses and that's all they are for now, guesses.

Sand_man - At least you shed some light on this thing for me.

If there is a way to test it, I'm all for it............
Old 07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'll be honest with you - I'm sure someone will spank me for saying this - but I think an OEM waste gate that's never been serviced is a ticking time bomb! I have since discovered that the previous owner of my car installed a 1 BAR spring in mine...and the gate itself was in need of repair: pin holes, torn diaphram, etc! I'm now running a 46mm Tial with .8 BAR spring and couldn't be happier. I think my original engine might have lasted a little longer had the spring been left alone or had the faulty waste gate been replaced. Just food for thought. I think Supertec can rebuild the stock waste gate, but the Tials are sooo darn pretty!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sand_man - Really? I've never heard that before. That Tial does look nice. Maybe I'll rebuild my wastegate this winter.

Plus does anyone know how to test the Pressure Sending Unit?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Yep...I'm thinking the quickest way to "overboost" an engine (amongst other ways) is with a faulty/malfunctioning waste gate...or too heavey of a spring. The waste gate is critical for bleeding the pressure.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

WCC, do you have the factory workshop manual?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I have the pages out of the factory workshop manual for testing this. I can send them to you via email (PDF files). PM me your email address.

JL
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sand_man - Sent you a PM.........
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Being newbie status, I hope I don't get flogged for suggesting this, but I had my guage (stock) doing a dance from .6 to 1 bar as well. It turned out that the pressure sensor (mounted under my Kokeln IC) depends on the grounding of the IC itself to function. I checked the bolts, found one loose, tightened it and all works OK. A ground strap has since been added instead of relying on that bolt.

Those Tials are very slick - my stock gate was rebuilt a couple of thousand miles ago and still functions ok. Is there a recommended store / fleabay to buy the Tial (in other words, the cheapest place)?

Cheers,

Rob
'79 930
Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rob - That's my first inclination of being my problem. I'll look into a possible loose bolt/wire. I haven't torn into it yet because other projects are ahead of this one. But my plan as of now is check/replace the sending unit and now Sand_man has pretty much talked me into doing something with the wastegate. Either replace it or rebuild it. I haven't decided yet.

As you can see in the pic in my first post I have a vac line just sitting there. Is that a big deal to leave it unhooked? Is your's hooked up?

Where did you have your wastegate rebuilt? What did it run ya? I was going to check with that Supertec too.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Bill...email sent!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I got my Tial from Imagine Auto...he sells a ton of them for our cars/engines. I won't quote prices, because he offered me a deal due to all of the parts I purchased from him.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Sand_man! According to that stuff you sent me I tested the Pressure Sender and it is faulty. So my next question is it ok to drive the car? I mean if I do a full boost my gauge isn't correct but am I overboosting the engine or is it still only delivering a .8bar boost even though the gauge says 1bar?

Also when I removed my intercooler I don't have two vac lines. One is capped. See pic. Is this ok/normal?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: