Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Seats won't recline

Hey guys,

I have an 87 that I bought for a really cheap price, knwoing that it needs some work. There are a few things that make it difficult to drive around before I start the big projects.

The big thing now is the seat adjustment. I have the 8 way power seats and the passenger seat won't recline. I can't find anyway to recline it? Is the recline part of the 8 way switches? The driver seat has the 8 way switches too, but it has a manual forward and back lever on the front left and a recline lever on the frot right. The passenger seat doesn't have any recline lever?

The power seat isn't an option for now, that is part of some other big problem. The seats don't have power, and the A/C motor doesn't work. They are on the same circuit, and there is no fuse currently in there. The seats are unplugged and the fuse blows upon contact. The big picture is that there is a short somewhere.

To sum up, my questions are these..... Can I adjust the driver seat without power to the seats? Can I recline the passenger seat without power?

Thanks in advance, 1st Porsche![IMG]http://[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi, When I bought my car the seat would not recline. I found that the wire that went to the motor was broken under the plastic covering. Check, maybe run a new wire. Thanks Mark
2005 Husqvarna CR125
1980 YZ125G
Old 07-08-2006, 09:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Usually the driver seat is full power and the passenger has some or all it's control as manual.

If the passener seat is full power and no manual, then the only way I know to fix it is to remove the seat and repair the electrical issue. In the short term, you could pull the cable from the motor and use a drill to rotate it. Leave the end connected to the seat in place. I had to do that on my Bimmer to align it. That motor which reclined the seat had two cables coming from it. They rotated in tandem to move each side of the seat together.

Do you have power at all to the passenger seat and can you hear the motor turning? Maybe from that answer, we can offer some additional advice. If it is blowing the fuse, I would definitely take the seat out so you have access to the motors.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Interesting, I wonder if my seats were swapped. My driver seat is mostly manual and my pax seat is full power, maybe the previous owner swapped them to have some adjustability.

My fuses blow with the seats unplugged, so I can't really even trouble shoot the motors. There must be a short somewhere in between. I did what you said, and took them apart and adjusted them with the worm drives for the time being.

Anyone know if 993 seats will fit in a 911? Will the power plugs be similar?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 11:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Actually, this is good news. If the fuse blows with the seats unplugged, there is significantly less to troubleshoot. If you have a voltmeter, you can check for a ground on your hot wire.

Lift the hot wire at the fuse end first. Just for grins, put the fuse in and make sure it does not blow. I'm sure it won't. With the wire lifted and the plug end disconnected, you should read infinite ohms from either end of the hot wire to ground. If you read zero, you have a direct short, if you read some other resistance, you have a partial ground. In either case, you just need to follow the wire to see where the short is located.

Don't forget to check the plug end to make sure none of the strands from the hot wire were crimped incorrectly and are touching the ground.

Hopefully, some of the other members will chime in about the seats being swapped. Sounds like the drivers seat may have been put on the passenger side to equal out the wear.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've got a similar problem with by '86 coupe. The rear of the seat had been fully in the down position such that I felt as though I was sitting in a hole. The front of the seat is more or less where I'd like it, although it is not perfect. The switch for the front of the seat works intermittently while the switch for the rear of the seat only works to lower the rear. The switch for the seat back does not work at all. I just ordered the Bentley manual and hope that will shed some light on my problem, which I think can be resolved by cleaning the switches.

In the mean time, I was able to raise the rear of the seat by disconnecting the 2 flex shafts from the motor, reversing the motor and then reconnecting it to the flex shafts. At that point, I was able to raise the rear to its highest position. After I re-installed the seat, I adjusted the seat for my driving position. Since I am the only driver of this car, this will not be a problem, although I do want to dig into the switches more thoroughly. During the course of this exercise, I discovered two tricks to simplify the seat removal and re-installationn: 1) cut a 6mm allen key to about 1" in length and use that, plus a 6mm open end wrench to loosen the rear allen bolts and 2) when you re-install the seats, attach them using the rear most holes (unless you are too short to drive in that position); using those holes made the re-installation process much simpler (easier to get my fingers and the allen wrench on the bolt.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: