Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Well I'm sad to see her go, but obviously without my expertise around to help you along it must be time for her to find a new owner

As bad as that experience was you really should describe the night you spent buying the car. Now that's a good story!

Pat

Old 07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

I once went to look at an SC coupe a while back, but when the time came to go for a ride, he looked at me and adamently said "..you'll ride, I'll drive". I have to admit I was put off a bit, since I made it clear that I was no Porsche virgin and was more than willing to have him in the passenger seat. But it was still his car, so I agreed and after viewing the drive I made an offer based on a good PPI. He was a little learly, but I said "since you're not letting me drive it, I need to know it is what it is supposed to be." He agreed. I almost bought that car, but he neglected to tell me it had a rebuilt title; and while he was honest about previous repair work (which was excellent), a rebuilt title devalues the car. He wouldn't come down off of his price...

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Oh, and when it comes to shifting, I used a soft palm...and no fingers! (..usually.)

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Sorry, I have given plenty of cheerful rides to family, friends, neighbors, but I have three rules for my 911, whether selling or not.

1. NO ONE ever drives my Porsche! (included when I had a paint touch up, I didn't even leave the keys, and drove it out of the bay myself.)

2. I stay away from other drivers (even during my Parade Laps at ALMS)

3. Forget about asking what I paid for it.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

My wife and adult children have driven my 911. They been taught how to drive and shift it; it ain't rocket engineering if one already knows how to drive a manual. My wife learned to drive our first vehicle, a '69 International Scout without a synchronized first gear and not enough engine torque to start in second gear. A 911 915 is a cakewalk compared to that. I also learned to relax when I realized I could fix just about anything that could break on the car.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well, my wife drives both of my 911's and I've allowed some fellow Pelican friends to drive my '84. They've responded in kind with their own. These cars are not that difficult to drive.

If a seller were to deny me a test drive, I'd walk. Period. I don't buy a car unless it's been driven by me. There is no way you can feel what a car is doing underneath you by sitting in the passenger seat. You have to take the controls; feel the steering and handling, the clutch, the gears and synchros, the throttle response, etc.

That's just me.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by k9handler
thumb and two fingers is how I shift...funny thing is I didn't even think about it until I read this thread.
Yah that's wierd - me too. Never thought about it until I read the post.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Oh. and I've let too many friends and acquaintences drive my car. I want them all to understand why I am so pumped on the thing. A few of them are ok, but a few others just suck....and it's always the transmission that trips up the ones that suck. One buddy in particularjust could NOT put the clutch to the floor before pulling it out of gear. Bad clunking noises. Uugh.

It's easy to say the 915 is challenging but my brother for one, and another younger friend who has never sat in a Porsche before much less driven one just managed naturally.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 450knotOffice
Well, my wife drives both of my 911's and I've allowed some fellow Pelican friends to drive my '84. They've responded in kind with their own. These cars are not that difficult to drive.

If a seller were to deny me a test drive, I'd walk. Period. I don't buy a car unless it's been driven by me. There is no way you can feel what a car is doing underneath you by sitting in the passenger seat. You have to take the controls; feel the steering and handling, the clutch, the gears and synchros, the throttle response, etc.

That's just me.
It's not just you Scott. I agree with everything you said.

To me, they're just cars. I've already said I won't buy if I can't drive, but also people, and their feelings take precedence over my car. Don't get me wrong-I'm pretty meticulous about my cars, but I try to keep it in focus.

I let one of my employees drive my 72 race car. He had never driven a Porsche let alone a vintage car with an ultra short shift. I figured he had a mechanical ability and would get a big kick out of it. After some coaching and watching me, it was his turn. He did remarkably well and I was glad to be part of expanding his horizons.

One of the reasons I am buying the 964 is I wanted the G50 transmission. I had no problem with the 915, and my wife managed, but it made her nervous. With power steering and the G50 she'll probably drive the car more than me.

OMG-what have I done?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Original Owner

Family members can drive it because I trust them and they follow instructions. As far as "lookie loos".... forget about it. That goes for most the monkeys on this forum as well. They all want to run it to 6500 in 1st and 2nd and show how fast they can shift. And remember most these bozzos will only see 300HP in their dreams!!! You'll know all you need to know right from the nice safe passenger seat!!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

What's so special about 300 horsepower? Our family station wagon when I was growing up had more power than that.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
I'm curious how many people have sold a car without allowing a test drive. There is no way I would ever buy a car without driving it, as the driving tells so much. I also wouldn't buy a pcar without a ppi, which is why I walked away from a nice looker the other day.
1977 930 Turbo Carrera Black on Red #411
1987 951 Black on Black - sold to make room for the 930
1972 911 2.7 - I regret selling her every single day....
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

I think you can separate drivers from dreamers in a couple of ways-

Drivers know that slamming the shift lever does not show the car anything, extract more power or speed or impress anyone but a dreamer.

Drivers never jump into an unfamiliar car ( whether they own it or not) and start pushing the limits of anything, the controls, the engine the tires etc that they don't know the limits of. That's just respect for the machinery and the property of others.

My family drives mine, but only if they drive a stick and get a check out.
There was a pointed discussion with my son about his ideas of engine braking ( that he should consider doing it), but other than that it's been fine.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
When I test drove my car (8 yrs ago), I had initially test driven the sellers L6 with the seller in the passenger seat. When we returned, he also mentioned his P-car for sale. The seller just tossed me the keys and didn't even bother to ride with me. The rest is history, but he was a very trusting soul. I guess he felt comfortable since I babied the test drive with the L6...

I don't think I would ever let anyone test drive my car without me in the car, unless it's a trusted fellow p-car owner.

I let my wife drive my car, but she doesn't like to very often since she gets too nervous.
73.5 911T Targa - long gone...
Founder ncPOG: nevada county Porsche Owners Group - est. 2005 w/150+ members
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Please don't interpret my post as supporting engine braking. My son will never do it it my Porsche again.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I'm a firm believer either you have it or you don't. To have it you need to be a real hands on person and have knowledge of how mechanical things fuction.Also why they break! My present 911 is the one and only I've owned.I've heard all sort of bad things about the 915 and its shifter from this board prior to my purchase. Alot of it was true.So when the PO(seasoned DE driver) asked me if I'd like to drive it after our initial test drive I was really apprehensive. I watched the PO use the smooth 3 finger shift and just mimicked it. Have to say its the only way to go. You begin to feel the gates and it slides in like butter. The shifter, its wide gates and slop still suck. Thats why God gave us Wevo!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Below the Rim

Garage
When I bought mine, the PO didn't hesitate to let me drive. I was actually taken aback when he said, "Sure, no problem". I don't think I'd be that casual. Though maybe I impressed him with my skillful demeanor and P-car knowledge! Anyhow, wifey has driven it once but doesn't want to try it again. She's a good driver, but I think the car intimidates her. As for shifting - like a good Riesling, three fingers, please.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I just bought a 964. The car is pristine. It's obvious the po was exponentially anal. When I went to see the car I looked it over very carefully and after that told the owner all that was left was a test drive. He just got a very helpless look and stammered out something like "Uh....okay....uh.....Okay.....uh.....do you want to go with your wife...? The man was in a panic. My wife could see how apprehensive he was and declined to go in favor of he going with me. I could tell he was tense, but he graciously allowed me to drive. Normally I would push the car a little-maybe 60% just to get a feel for it, but I babied it. No shifts over 4000 RPM mild acceleration. Easy starts, stops, and corners.

However, when I've sold my cars, I encourage the prospective buyer to take it on a loop I enjoy here. I'll coach them into fast sweepers and 110 degree corners a lot faster than they would probably go w/o me along. It is, after all, a driver's car. Naturally I'll gauge such coaxing against the apparent skill and experience of the would be buyer.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Registered

It's really hard to sell a car without the prospective buyer trying it... I've never quite pulled that one off ! But I've been lucky, most people that I'd had driving my cars for sale "got it" real fast. Slow but firm is how I describe the shifts in 1-2-3rd gear...

Then again there is that coworker of mine who was still on the clutch on my 993 at 6000 rpm in second gear... Oh, the smell.. Sold that car since, I'll never know how much life he took off it !

Lucky for me, I worked my way up to Solo with the boxster, that means no need for an instructor driving laps in my SC ;-) But that was unlucky, most PCA instructors have owned a 915 in their lives and know how to shift them properly! One time at Thunderhill I got a tracquest instructor who had never driven a 915 car and he wanted to fail my car as unsafe because fo the gearbox. That was quickly resolved with an instructor swap ;-)

Last edited by Deschodt; 07-18-2006 at 11:20 AM..
Old 07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I'm thinking that anyone that drove a pre-1984 VW can shift a similary aged 911...

2000 BMW X5 - 1996 BMW 530i - Toy 4 Runner (x2 or 3) - 1987 Toy Supra - 1988 Honda Si - 1984 El Camino Super Sport - MGA - MGB - Fiat 124 Spyder - Fiat 128 Wagon - 1962 Karmann Ghia - 1951 VW - 1953 Willys Jeepster w/Chevy 286 - 1995 Volvo 960 - 2006 VW GTI
Old 07-18-2006, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: