Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
rear wheel bearing install

I am in the process of reinstalling the rear wheel bearing. I have it on the freezer and plan to heat the trailing arm with a torch.

My question is how to you force the bearing in. Do I need to use the same extractor that I built to pull it out?? Or, do I have to use a mallet (with some kind of protection).

Thanks

'76 911 w/'97 3.6 Euro Vario Engine & Turbo body kit & TPC Supercharger

'07 997 GT3
Old 08-05-2006, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
A big nut and bolt with appropriately sized washers will do. DO NOT use a mallet!! You shouldn't have to heat the arm, just freeze the bearing. Make sure to install the e-brake stuff before you put in the stub axle. Do a search, lots of good info already here.

Good luck!
BK
Old 08-05-2006, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do not use the rig you used to extract it unless it is adapted to the pull/push only on the external race of the bearing. Do not push/pull or pound on the inner race or you run the risk of damaging the bearing. I seem to recall the factory shop manual recommended heating the arm to 250F to ease installation of the bearing. The aluminum arm bearing bores can be distorted if you are too forceful resulting in bearing/wheel looseness.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One other thing to try. It may sound WAY obvious but, try rotating the bearing, or maybe even flipping it over. I spent quite a little while (and a few choice words) because it didn't fit after the freezer technique and all... then without thinking about it almost as I was looking away I started rotating it and "PLUNK" it just dropped right in clear and simple, absolutely perfect...
Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Also you should lube the bearing bore. Recently, some have used a piece of PVC or ABS plastic pipe that was darn near the size of the bore therefore only pushing on the outer race.

Even though we apparently don't have a tech article on the rear wheel bearing install on the 911 Tech Articles Section, there is one on the 914 Tech Section: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_five_lug_conversion/914_five_lug_conversion2.htm
The process is the same for both cars for the most part, the e-brake notwithstanding.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

dry ice will be very help full
Old 08-05-2006, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the help. Freezing worked great, I use a plastic as protection and with a little help of a rubber mallet it went it easely.

Now, How do I insert the hub? I also freezed the hub but it doesn't seems to be an ease fit. Any tricks here??

Thanks

'07 997 GT3
Old 08-05-2006, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I just installed a rear bearing today in my '87.

It was my second one as I apparently damaged the first one installing it because it still had a little play when everything was tightened down. I got the second one right.

I went to my non-Pcar mechanic and borrowed a front wheel drive bearing install tool. It is basically the same thing that you can make on your own from Home Depot stuff just much stronger materials.

Since you already have the bearing in, put all the emergency brake stuff back on including the bearing retainer. I choose to freeze the hub for a few hours. Put some lube on the inner bearing races and the hub. Tap the hub into the outer bearing race just enough so it holds its own weight. Now spin it a couple of times to make sure it is centered. If not centered, lightly tap it straight using a rubber mallet. Once straight, you have to pull the hub onto the bearing races using the bolt and washers. IMPORTANT - place the inside washer against the inner bearing race and the outer washer on the 'cup' portion of the hub. If you do not do this, you will destroy the bearing by pushing the inner race out of the back of the bearing. Once started, it should go together nicely.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all you help I was finally able to install the hub. I fabricated an installer using the old inner race of theold bearing, a threaded rod and a couple of washers and nuts. I had the hub on the freezr since yesterday...and it went in easely.

Now, I can feel some play on the hub. I haven't installed the axle yet, but wonder if there is normal to feel some minor play once the hub is in.

Thanks

'07 997 GT3
Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

"minor play," yes. And your cold hub should go in the same way: a little lube, squared up and insert. It's hard to get things like this started square down the inner bore, but that's the secret. The bearing will absorb some of the cold (that's not scientifically correct), so work quickly and smoothly. One more thing, you can burnish the hub shaft with crocus cloth before instaling. The removal puts micro scratches on the surface and things goo easier when you deburr the parts.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: