Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smoldering embers??

Some time ago i read on this board about the power wire above glovebox being too close to the bulb (84-89 Carreras) and frying wiring harnesses in extreme cases. Sure enough both glovebox and front hood lights had this setup and i promptly rewired. That said, not long ago i saw a post that mentioned other related issues of 'unfused wires' posing a risk. What- if any, are other electrical liability issues we can deal with before the fact?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've removed mine, but the front A/C condensor blower motor has a reputation for starting fires....search the archives for more info....
Old 08-08-2006, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I posted this as part of another response many moons ago....
- Wil
==================================

There are many more electrical areas..Porsche does a really poor job in this category.
- For A/c cars....add the 7.5A fuse kit for the front condenser fan. Another fire hazard.
- add headlight relays, as mentioned
- add upgraded relay with external 16A fuse in smugglers box ( A/c system)...late 70's to late 80's cars.
- oddly *all* relays that Porsche uses ( ex: foglight relay) is fused only on the power side...not on the control side. Quick wire switcheroo will fix this.
- fuse box disaster. Design uses riveted construction of fuse holders that may get loose over the years. At some point in time, take box out, re-tighten or solder the rivet connections. Some of these have "bus-bar" connections that jumper incoming points on the fusebox. Or use external wire jumpers. Best to add external wire jumpers *everywhere* there is a bus connection with no external jumper wire to begin with. This would end up being a duplicate, parallel circuit.
- 930 A/c system gangs too many loads into too few circuits. Steve Grosskemper ( again) ....or was it John Rice..offers suggestions on how to add more fuses to separate these loads and have the wires run cooler. I think this article resides somewhere in the Pelican Tech Article section.
- no headlight relays ( as mentioned)
- other interior lights are still not fused with this mod ( cig lighter...fresh air panel).
Old 08-08-2006, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Re: Smoldering embers??

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackie911
Some time ago i read on this board about the power wire above glovebox being too close to the bulb (84-89 Carreras) and frying wiring harnesses in extreme cases. Sure enough both glovebox and front hood lights had this setup and i promptly rewired.

...can you elaborate, maybe with pics or text....especially as regards the front trunk light. Were the wires simply too close to the bulb for *both* the front trunk light and glove box light. What exactly did you do ???

- Wil
Old 08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies KC and Wil-- the power wires for both glovebox and hood lights were located directly on top of the hot bulbs- some insulation was actually melted on the glovebox wire. I simply rerouted/ lengthened the wires away from the heat to avoid any future electrical issues. I appreciate your above text Wil and see there are a few other items to attend to...

Thanks all!

David
Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: