Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need recommendation for door speakers, must have good base response

I have an '87 Carrera and I'm looking for a set of speakers to mount in the door recess. I think 5 1/4" is the diameter. The old Alpine speakers just don't sound good, no base response, and I don't want to add subwoofers either. Doesn't someone make a good 5 1/4"dia speaker with respectable sound and good base response?
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Add a component set. I had a nice set of alpines in my coupe a while back. They sounded great. Look at crutchfield or other online places. The crossover provides clear separate bass and treble without requiring an amp. Much more than that will probably be better off with an amp.
Here is a nice infinity set
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PthhmDPijdX/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=1085010CS
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

6.5" speakers should fit. Verify the structure isn't too deep and cause interference.

Sherwood
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I used a similar set up but with older Infinity Speakers however they provide excelent bass along with my Alpine CD Unit, I think Infinity is an Alpine's Division , so they work good altogether.

JL Garcia
912, 1968
Toluca , Mexico
Old 08-15-2006, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you don't want a sub woofer, and you don't want a separate tweeter. The best speakers for your application are 6.5 inch MB Quart speakers. Go for the reference series as they are WELL worth the little bit extra.

These give pretty much the best quality sound you can have for such a simple setup. I don't care if people slam me for saying this, as everyone has their own opinions. But i am an audio enthusiast and i know whats available.

Infinity is also good, but their bass won't be as strong, and their tweeters will be slightly brighter.

Hope this helps,
Adam
Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Let's all slam Adam for not mentioning Focals...

DO a search ! Many threads on this.

BTW, you will not get "good base response" from ANY 5" or 6" speaker. You will need at least an 8" -- but really meant low-mid range response right?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally posted by randywebb
Let's all slam Adam for not mentioning Focals...
Yeh man, what about FOCALS???

I'm about to have an awesome set of Focal PolyKevlar 165K2P's installed in my Cab, along with Alpine head-unit & Amp, iPod adaptor and Infinity Basslink for extra low's. I like my sound crystal clear with good body too, so I opted for the Focals. Can't wait to have them installed next week
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Also note, the output from the speakers is highly dependent on your head unit. If your headunit has a lot of built in equalizer functions, you can tailor the sound to how you like it.

Adam
Old 08-15-2006, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
sub

you can put a sub under the passenger seat like this and have respectable bass without sacrificing cabin space. The wife says the bass is not annoying when you sit there either (I would not know- never been in the passenger seat).

the little kenwood has its own amp and puts out pretty good sound in such a small space.

erik

04 Pilot "The Pilot"
Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

how much do those units cost?

last time i checked they were expensive
Old 08-16-2006, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
6.5" inch speakers are in my doors but my installer had to trash that little mounting box the original speakers were screwed into. He did a beautiful job mounting the 6.5's right to the inner door structure and the bass response is worlds better than before.
1984 911 Carrera Cab
2007 Cayman
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i have the mb quart. 6.5"
great speakers!!!

81 SC
97 328is
87 Jeep Comanche (RIP)
Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I just installed an Alpine 9856 w/ Infinity 6012si speakers and Alpine F250 amp and Ipod cable. Nice system for around $750.00

"The only two things you can truly depend upon are gravity and greed." - Jack Palance
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

That is exactly the setup I've got- minus the amp and ipod. I think it sounds pretty good. I've tried three different sets of speakers in the rear shelf but can barely hear them - I've settled on a set of infinity 4x6 plate speakers - maybe somebody in the back seat might hear them? I'd like to get one of those Kenwood subwoofers under the passenger seat but for now I'm reasonably happy.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I have MB Quart (still nice and German) 6 1/4 or whatever fraction they are, in the door with component tweeters. I mounted the crossovers in the kick panel where the blowers are and the tweeter where the stock tweeter would have been (just had to trim out the board a little bit). The MB Quarts come with adapter rings that mount the speaker out about a 1/4 inch, so you don't need to cut your door at all to get the bigger speaker in. Bass response is great, and with the separate tweeter overall sound quality is fantastic. Just as a side not, I use the MB Quart 5 1/4 components in the rear deck mounted in custom plates with rectangular covers. I had an alpine amp powering them, but I actually get better sound right form the Panasonic head unit. Click on the link in my signature if you need pictures, there's pleanty!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
The Kenwood KSC-SW1 was 157.30 to the door from Techronics. And if I can install it (I had never even looked at the back of a car stereo before I tried) a blind man can install it. I even managed to keep the old school ads amp the PO had running the other speakers. Remember this will not rattle windows but definitely fills in the sound very nicely with a little bit of thump. If you are anywhere close to Chapel Hill you would be welcome to take a listen.

erik

erik

04 Pilot "The Pilot"
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

This is what I'm about to have installed next Tuesday:-

- Alpine CDA-9853R CD-Tuner/Deck
- Alpine iPod Interface Module
- Alpine MRP-F240/F250 4-Channel Amp
- Infinity Basslink 10" Self Powered Subwoofer
- Focal PolyKevlar 165K2P 6.5" Component Speakers

I'm running the speakers off the active Alpine cross-over, instead of passive X-overs, for better time alignment adjustments etc.

I can't wait to hear the difference compared to the OEM Nokia speakers
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 08-16-2006, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

5.25 bass sucks

6.5 bass very very decent with 75w x2 amp. With the noise our cars make a 100hz low cut off will allow more clear high db without damaging woofer. Separates with tweet aimed at space between driver and passenger will give more punch imo. Seperate amp is your friend.

rear speakers may actually muddy up any stage and clarity unless wired up to only provide mid fq fill. I don't use rears.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-16-2006, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info! I'm not sure how speakers are measured. Is it the overall diameter or the distance from bolt hole to bolt hole? I need to know what will fit in the 5 1/2" factory opening in the doors. Looks like I had 5 1/4" and they were too small as only two screws were in the sheet metal! So what will fit w/o cutting any sheet metal?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
movin, Do a search, there is a recent thread from Sweden (Denmark?) by Peter Bull. Search on his name. He installed 6.5's using a 12mm (1/2") spacer made of MDF. He provides drawings and 3D perspective drawings too.

On my car a PO cut out larger holes with (eek!) tin snips. Edges are all gnarly and jagged so I pretty much MUST go with 6.5's and I am glad -well, of the speakers not the jagged friggin holes! The sound is so much better.

P.S. Peter's show the finished installation and it looks great. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: