Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Relay Question- Headlight Washer

Does somebody know the correct part number for a missing relay in my "new" '87 Targa.

When I jump the power through the panel, the headlight washers spray. Here's where the confusion sets in. In the Bentley electric diagram there are two washer related relays, the "Headlight Cleaner Control Unit(HCCU)" & the "Additional Cleaning Fluid Pump Relay(ACFP)." It says that HCCU is in the dash relay panel, but the ACFP is there (based on the wiring colors & relay designations)

Here's a picture of where the missing relay should be, above the window washer pump near the battery.

This is a great board, tons of interesting posts. Thanks for any help, John

Old 09-01-2006, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

John,

I think it was originally 928.618.111.00. The Hella number might be 003784-03. I haven't checked for supercessions.

JR
Old 09-01-2006, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
heiliges blechle!

So that is what that relay is... I had taken that relay out the other day thinking it was for the front air condenser blower motor. It came apart real easy and looked good inside. I couldn't find it anywhere in the Bentley manual... but I did find where the condenser blower relay was located LOL and it was bad.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Can anyone let me know what the numbers on the headlight washer relay mean as they are foreign to me except 30 and 31 - this leaves 55, p and s?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can probably figure it out. An Ohmeter will tell you which two contacts are the coil contacts (there will be a resistance between those two contacts, and the current direction doesn't matter). If it has five contacts, one is power in, one is normally closed power out (so no resistance between power in and it), which means the other is the normally open prong.

Since this only fits into the relay holder one way, you ought not to need to know which is which. Relays are mostly all set up the same way.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
One bit of information that might help. To make the headlight washers work when everything is working as designed, you HAVE to have the headlights on. Without the headlight on, no washers.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

55 is the DIN designation for fog lamps. I don’t know why that would be on the relay. P and S also make no sense. Relay terminals are usually numbered 84, 85, 87 and 88; smetimes with a letter also.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
Washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
One bit of information that might help. To make the headlight washers work when everything is working as designed, you HAVE to have the headlights on. Without the headlight on, no washers.
Correct.

That's the way it works on our '86.

I think that more than one P-Car owner
has been fooled by this.

No lights "On", no washers.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info - no I didn’t realize the headlights had to be on.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: