Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Thumbs up Ac

I have these interlocked with a relay that cuts them on whenever the compressor runs, and I have very very cold AC. They pull 1,000 cfm together through the condensor using about 13 amps. All that's left is to install a series switch in the power line so I can cut them off from inside the car during a downpour. Got them from SPAL and fabbed the mounts. $190 including the relay and it's the best money spent yet on the AC. Car is an 87 Coupe.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I brought the same large fan from spal, but because of the clearance problem with the CIS airbox I haved not install the fan yet. What type of vent temp atre you gettging on a 90 degree day?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Could you provide some details on exactly how you wired that up? Something I could take to a mechanic and say "Do this" for my car. Or is it simple enough for a DIY'er to add these?
TIA
Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Vent temps are cold, but I don't have a thermometer. But, it's cold enough to make your hand hurt if you hold it in front of the vent any length of time. It cools the interior after sitting in the sun, and even works after the condensor has been soaked with heat after sitting with a hot engine. Best of all, no more burnt compressors.....suction pressure is very low and high pressure tops out at about 260. This photo shows over 90 but it was really about 88. I think the sun got on the thermometer while I was trying to take this shot (camera in one hand, other hand boosting RPM's to about 2000). System includes subcooler (ProCooler), Griffith's evap and barrier hoses.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You need a relay - I got a round 30A porsche relay that fit a round hole in the power strip on the drivers side behind the plastic cover. Got my mechanic to investigate the power supply to the strip and found an open socket for power, and tapped into the wire to the compressor. Wires run around the top and can be stashed into the sound material. I'm not sure if every car has them same power distribution, so I would have that checked out (where exactly you power the thing) since you want to have a straight electrical shot to the battery. Mine is connected adjacent to the fuse that controls the rear window defogger, according to the box and the wiring diagram.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Elu
Great job...

I did the same on mine but also replaced the compressor and accumulator. It is soooo cold I have to keep it on low.

www.myspace.com/elu

Elu - the sensual nature of humanity
Available on Eroica Records

The new album is now available.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: