Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Quotes

Let me hear you favorite Porsche Quotes!

"where's the engine" -anny
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
you cant make a race car out of a pig, but you can make a damn fast pig
Livermore Ca.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

"You should put some 20's on that thing!"

- punk kid on BMX at 7-11

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Quote:
At the end of the 1967 Car and Driver test of the 911S: What is Porsche going to do for an encore ... build a car with disappearing headlights?
Which, of course, they did for a whole series of cars ... 914, 924, 928, 944, & 968!!!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'

Last edited by Early_S_Man; 09-18-2006 at 07:19 PM..
Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

"Porsche....there is no substitute" Tom Crusie in the roll of Joel from Risky Business just after outrunning the pimps boat of a 65 Caddie.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have mine for sale in the front parking lot at work so, lots of folks have been taking a look.

Two IT guys from across the street;
1. is it an automatic?
2. front or rear wheel drive?
* When I explained it was backdated*
3. I could tell there was something not right about the lines.
4. Where's the original steering wheel and would it be hard to put it back on?

They did not make an offer?!

" too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like" Will Smith
Old 09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"Who's the U-Boat Commander?" Porsche service manager, from Risky Business. Do I detect a trend?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
Car and Driver magazine
1980 article about the 911SC

P.J. O'Rourke called it an "ass-engine Nazi slot car."
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

These cars are meant to be driven, not polished.

Dr. Ferry Porsche
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 09-18-2006, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"cool car - stupid color!"
- quoted from a guy crossing the street at an intersection about my gulf blue rsr. I didn't have the opportunity to explain gulf oil, the 917, Steve McQueen, etc...
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
DP935 member

I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself.
Ferdinand Porsche

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.
Ferdinand Porsche

Porsche Slantnose M505 M506 group on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/719995181372494/
Old 09-18-2006, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driving member

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by gestalt1
"cool car - stupid color!"
- quoted from a guy crossing the street at an intersection about my gulf blue rsr. I didn't have the opportunity to explain gulf oil, the 917, Steve McQueen, etc...
\

If he thought it was a stupid color no amount of explaining would help.

Unlike women, a race car is an inanimate object. Therefore it must, eventually, respond to reason.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

"Committees are, by nature, timid. They are based on the premise of safety in numbers; content to survive inconspicuously, rather than take risks and move independently ahead. Without independence, without the freedom for new ideas to be tried, to fail, and to ultimately succeed, the world will not move ahead, but rather live in fear of it's own potential"
- Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche

"Those lucky enough to build a business out of a dream owe it wo the world to be the caretakers of dreams. It is the duty of those who, through ingenuity, insight and hard work are able to make a dream a reality, to defend this right. To continue to build upon their ideas"

I miss Ferdinand Porsche, and the great men and women who he attracted to and inspired at his small company. It is this reverence for Porsche during my early teenage years that made me a Porsche fan and later a Porsche owner. It is also why I refuse to call my Porsche a frikken "Pee car".
Old 09-18-2006, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Their are no old PORSCHES only new Owners
Old 09-18-2006, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

OK, I will just do a memory dump (not in hex) of my collection...

Quotes on Porsche
“The 911’s McPherson struts in front and trailing arms in back have hopeless camber patterns. They allow the wheels to lean away from the turns as the body rolls and have no provision for anti-brake dive.”
-- Patrick Bedard, in CAR & DRIVER, February, 1972, p. 28.

There “is no possibility” of the windshield “misting up,” so the vent windows are no longer required. -- Porsche advertising brochure, 1969

The “356s were more solidly built than the 911.” - ROAD & TRACK, May 1974, p. 6 (answer to letter complaining about rattles and wind leaks on a $14,000 car).

"A small, light efficient car to surpass the performance of large, powerful cars attracted us."
- Ferry Porsche on the genesis of the firm, quoted in ROAD & TRACK 25(12): 102 (August 1974), "25 Years of Porsche" by Ron Wakefield.

"a small car with abundant power and adequate brakes not only can accelerate very rapidly but also has stopping ability to match its performance. The result is a high evasive capability...."
-- Ferry Porsche, 1976, WE AT PORSCHE, p. 236.

“Thank god there’s no 48-hour race anywhere in the world, because chances are nobody could beat Porsche in a 48 hour race. They’re probably the only cars in the world that would stand up for something like that.” – Carroll Shelby, quoted in Porsche advertising brochure, 1972.

“The pedals unnaturally sprout up from the toe board like disfigured mushrooms, the switchgear is exquisitely haphazard, and important sections of the instrumentation are obscured by the steering wheel.” David Vivian, SUPERCARS: THE MYTH AND THE MAGIC. p. 79. MotorBooks Intl. 1988.

“a superior coupe of graceful proportions which embodies the optimum characteristics and advantages…”
“a clean, taut, well-balanced, yet handsome body that makes no concessions to passing fancy ‘styling’…”
“ranks among the best of the ‘Europeans’ and leaves nothing to be desired in terms of performance”
-- Porsche advertising brochure introducing the new 911, 1964

"The standard road-going 911 has never been a great force in sports car racing, which requires rather more specialized machinery..."
- Anders Ditlev Clausager. 1998. PORSCHE - THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF THE MARQUE. p. 96.

American cars should be banned from European roads because their “brakes are inadequate for the speeds of which these cars are capable.” “American models were more skid prone than European cars… an attempt to brake an [under-steering,] skidding American car would [send it] wildly out of control.”
-- Dr. Ferry Porsche, quoted by the London Observer, in ROAD & TRACK, Nov. 1966, p. 21. His son, Butzi, owns a Pontiac station wagon (R&T, p. 62)

“We wouldn’t build a real 4-seater. … We are a sports firm.” – Butzi Porsche, interview with Jerry Sloninger in ROAD & TRACK, Nov. 1966, p. 63.

“I love station wagons. They’re for people who spend a lot of time in their cars. Comfort in a car is very important. You can’t drive fast today anyway, but I like to go on vacation and [take a lot of suitcases,] sleds, boats….” – Butzi Porsche, interview with Jerry Sloninger in ROAD & TRACK, Nov. 1966, p. 63.

The engine is "loud... with the tone and tempo of an enraged Volkswagen."
- Patrick Bedard in CAR & DRIVER, Feb. 1972, p. 26.

The “Porsche image” is “serious. The driver will take himself and his car … damned seriously…. [He] will have no more than a limited sense of humor. Especially concerning Porsches. … slightly insecure … likely to be possession-proud. A car for the technician, rather than the engineer, if you get the distinction.” -- Road & Track, June 1969, p. 58, from a comparison test of the Porsche 911T, Corvette, Jaguar E-type and Mercedes 280SL “Four Luxury GTs.” The other makes’ owners were characterized as follows:
Jaguar E-type: Class, Dignity, owner is sophisticate in his tastes, one that swings, but with dignity, probably doesn’t know much about engineering
Corvette: Plastic, flashy, lots of eye-catching angles and gimmicks; personality of owner is “the Animal”
Mercedes 280SL: Square, even dull

"The lighter you make the car, the less weight there is to brake for a corner, to take around the corner, and to accelerate from the corner." --
Ferdinand Piech, speaking to Michael Cotton, in CLASSIC PORSCHE, 1991, p. 10.

As we all know, it is the nephew who got the genes for engineering from Dr. Ing. Ferd... (and also got some of the genes for irascibility).

"Judging by the car you have chosen, you are motorist of a special breed…." – from 911 Owner’s Manual

Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

“Porsche builds technical works of art mainly for connoisseurs. It’s impossible to say that this model or that is the best. It’s all a matter of taste. * * * We try, in our three series (4-, 6-, and 8-cylinder) to convey as many different driving sensations as possible using the technology on hand.” – Peter W. Schutz, interview, p. 34 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

“Q: Before You came to Zuffenhausen there was talk of putting the 911 to sleep.
Schutz: Maybe that’s why I’m here.”
– Peter W. Schutz, interview, p. 35 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

“Hardly any other vehicle concept has proven itself so thoroughly in so many different combinations over the years [as the 911].” – Helmuth Bott, The Rear-Engine / Rear-Drive Philosophy, p. 43 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

The 911 “always got by without any gimmicks… the 911 is based on a very matter-of-fact, classic, serene concept.” Butzi Porsche quoted by Ingo Seif, “Porsche Styling,” p. 208 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

“You won’t have to repair this car” -- Porsche factory mechanics’ reply to Porsche General Service Manager’s request to develop a 911 that was easy to repair in the 1960s. p. 227 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

The 356 “resembled a Bavarian laundry woman from the rear.” p. 227 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

In the 1950’s, the “American Porsche customers differed a lot from the German Porsche customers, [who] consisted mainly of members of the nobility and high society. … In the USA, the buyers were not the so-called well-to-do, but technicians, engineers, pilots, doctors … and most of them with German ancestors.” p. 230 in Seif, Ingo. 1985. PORSCHE: PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND.

“The current model is too trendy,” F.A. (Butzi) Porsche told Tobias Aichele when asked about the 996. “For me the 911 remained eternally young, simply because of its characteristic shape and reduction to an absolute functional minimum. The new model, on the other hand, represents a break with this principle, at any rate in the refined fittings and the shape of the headlights which, to me, are incomprehensible.” in EXCELLENCE WAS EXPECTED, new ed.

Bobby Allison: 911s are expensive "imported Corvairs."
and "These cars do have a strong reputation, but I don't see why..."
(criticizing their cornering behavior and oversteer)

“I wanted to create a totally neutral car, one without any frills. A modern car, but not a trendy one. One that expresses power and speed even while standing still.” F. A. Porsche, quoted in CHRISTOPHEROS, April 2005

The [newly introduced 911’s] 5 speed gearbox is probably the new car’s best single feature.” – CAR & DRIVER, April 1965, p. 30.

The [newly introduced 911’s body design] ought to weather for years without looking dated.” – CAR & DRIVER, April 1965, p. 30.

“You get more performance with less of everything.” – Alois Ruf, quoted in THE ESSES (Early 911S Registry Bulletin) Fall 2005, 15(3): 3.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

and I'll add that many of Gordon Murray's comments on sports car design might have been made about Porsche

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Arrow

---Compromise is for politicians---
Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

"How fast you got that thing up to?" - Guy delivering my refrigerator from Lowes in North Carolina.

What'l it do in the 1/4 mile? - Kid at the gas pump next to me

A-hole!! - Lady at red light that looked like a stick figure cartoon.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Anachronistic Anomaly

Garage
THE SITUATION:
Sitting on Ventura Blvd.
trying to turn right
car in front of me
both waiting for pedestrian to cross...

THE WORDS OF WISDOM:
Guy in an Infiniti FX SUV.
He gets pissed off and pulls out from behind me in the line.
Slows down next to me and yells...

"MOVE A**HOLE!"

MY SUMMATION:
This guy does not understand physics.
Yes, I am an a**hole because I drive a Porsche, but forward motion is totally out of the equation.
So he was only half right.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Quote:
Perfomance on the order of an American muscle car ... without the stigma of low price! -- 1970 911S road test in Road & Track

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: