Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo Tie Rod Install

Iím trying to finish up the R&R the front suspension of my 911T project. Most recently, Iíve been installing a turbo tie rod kit. I thought Iíd snap a few pics along the way for those considering doing an install.

Because I had the struts out and control arms off, I just went ahead and pulled the cross member and steering rack. The Bentley has a very good exploded diagram. Itís really a matter of 4 bolts. You also have to disconnect the steer rack in the smugglerís box. I didnít have AC, so this was a pretty simple operation.

Once I had the rack out, I just put a pipe wrench on the old tie rod and it twisted right out. After I had it out, I put the washer in place and screwed the new tie rod in. The Bentley suggests doing a measurement of the old tie rod and making the new tie rod as close as possible in length.

The tie rod screws into the round flat piece of metal that the steering rack boot attaches to and then it screws into the actual steering rack. In order to preventing binding between that flat piece of metal when trying to screw the new tie rod into the rack, I had to remove the spring retainer that holds the boot onto the metal plate and screw the new tie rod into place. Once I had it torqued down, I then put the spring retainer back in place.

Here's an "exploded" view of the steering rack, cross member, etc:

Here's a pic showing the washer and the tie rod being screwed into the rack:

Moving the retaining spring out of the way:

Tightening things up. A vice was essential:

A comparison of new vs. old:

Hope some folks find it helpful.

T.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very nice write-up.

I did mine a couple weeks ago while it was in the car. It was a major pain trying to get the inner spring retainer on the boot, while it was in the car. If I had to do it over again, I'd do it your way.

Another benefit of taking the whole rack out is that you can get an accurate bolt-to-bolt measurement for the tie rod lengths, before the old parts are disassembled.
1998 Yamaha WR400 - Mountain Ride
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you getting alignment???

Looking for a 996 Silver Cab 2002-2004
Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll definitely be getting an alignment when all is done. The car didn't run when I got it, so I have no idea how the alignment was prior to my mods.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is good information since I am about to replace thesteering rack on my 72 and add turbo tie rods.
Can you tell me if there is a difference in fitting the tie rods to a steering rack from a short wheel base car versus one from a long wheel base car.
Thanks
Chris
Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

HI T the steering rack boots need replacing with the turbo ones, which fit onto the rubber collars on the new steering shaft you have just fitted, otherwise the nice new ball-socket which is now open to the element's will not last long, the big washer is the lock-stop for the rack, and the large lock nut/boot holder you have re-fitted is not used, you may find if you put everything back as it is now the tracking will be towing in some what. The boot you require is 930 347 191 02 .

regards mike
Old 11-10-2006, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
TWork:
Did you correct the boot-issue brought up by Mike?
Pictures of the procedure with the right parts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 01-13-2007, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Confused

Nemesis

I have them on my '67 SWB - no problems, but a good idea to get Pelican's kit with the spacers and boots all included.

Although if you are fitting them to a 72 - isn't that a LWB car? Should be according to my information - although maybe I misread your plans

Regards

Guy
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

T,

Yes, your new boots will cover the ball joint of your new tie rods. Congratulations, you make it look easy with everything out of the car. I did it with the rack in the car and it was much harder. Much! Don't get it aligned until you are sure you won't be doing anything to the a-arms (bushings, new torsion bars, ball joints) or won't be doing anything to the rear (bushings, torsion bars). If you have never had alignment and lowering to euro height, you are in for a surprise.

1969 911E Slate Grey
1981 911SC Wine Red
1997 911C4S Ocean Blue
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: