Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Targa Top Issue

Okay Guys,

I'm venting here as I'm quite pissed. I've calmed down mostly but very annoyed. I rebuilt my Targa top two years ago with a new outer skin from a reputible source and took it apart and did a pretty reasonible rebuild, if I do say so myself. The top looked good and fit very good. I intentionally never fold it and store it in the fixed open position when off the car. It's been sitting outside in the open for the last 6 months at my 2nd home. It's not been covered but in a "protected area". I jumped in the car the other night and drove it to my new home. On the way I kept hearing extra wind noise and thought the seal on the front had finally bitten the dust. I have new front seal and figured it's just time to bit the bullet and change it. When I got home and got out of the car I discovered the front and rear edge binding has separated from the vinyl top. The stitching has let go or rotted and it's complete off both the front and rear edge of the top. I don't even know what to say right now other than I'm not happy and that's being generous. I know I have no choice here but to either rebuild it again myself or send it out but I just can't believe that 2 years and the stitching would fail like that. No real need for advise but some funny off color comments would make the situation a little brighter.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It could be worse...

Cheers!

Paul.
'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 09-29-2006, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm sure that makes him feel a whole lot better.

LOL
Old 09-29-2006, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Arrow top

Dan,
$hit happens as they say. I had my targa top rebuilt by a local. The top looked good initially eventhough they put thicker foam under the skin, which of course resulted in extra wind noise > 60mph. I don't know if the vinyl shrunk but now the rear and front are starting to pull up. Also, the gap between the rear edge and the roll bar cover was always too big. I should have sent it to Dan.
Check out the following post. I'm thinking very hard about doing the same thing.

Succesful Targa Top Rebuild!!!!!

jt
-84 targa
Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

question;
I've got a 72 911T that's getting a front-to-back in my shop. It's gonna be a nice sunday driver.
I never have been impressed with the OEM top; it's like a cheap tent.
What about the fiberglass top that a, ahem, *competetor* to pelican sells...wouldn't that be a better alternatative to a drumhead?

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Paul,

Now that's what I'm talkin about. Nothing like feelin a little better at a fellow P-Car owners expense. The missing top sucks but helps me keep in perspective. I know it could be worse than I have it, like the fellows that forget to latch the top and lose it going down the highway. Crap like this always sucks but hey we're all in this together!

DAn
Old 09-30-2006, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

JTL,

I did rebuild the top myelf about two years ago. The failure wasn't from anything I did just the stiching rotted or failed on the binding. Personally I didn't think it was very hard just took time as I was unsure about a couple of the steps on taking apart and putting back together. i think the hardest part was lining up the front and rear edge to lay flat and straight. Keep the vinyl skin pliable and soft is certainly the key. Also if you do it yourself don't cut any corners in taking it apart and cleaning up the plates and webbing. watch how you re-attach the foam underlayment on the front edge and rear edge as too much overlap will cause the skin to pucker up on the front and rear or it won't lay flat. You can also adjust that gap by moving the down pins on the front of the targa top frame that stick into the front windsheild frame. They're secured with a nut and if you loosen it you can slide them forward and rearward to adjust the gap.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Original Owner

Sounds like someone didn't use nylon thread.

Check this out...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=POR&model=911M&section=BDYtar&page=1&bookmark=3&part_number=911-565-002-40-OEM

$500 for a fiberglass top???? And $11,000-14,000 for a complete targa top assembly....whatever that is.....

Might as well buy the whole car.........
Old 09-30-2006, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Arrow top issues

Dan,
Thanks for the tip. My problem may mostly be related to adjustment although I still think the local upholstery dude didn't do a very good job.

jt

Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: